Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.05 Released  (Read 42762 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.05 Released
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2016, 11:33:41 am »

But what about the bugs that require a system rewrite which then breaks the system?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Ajikozau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2016, 11:41:02 am »

But what about the bugs that require a system rewrite which then breaks the system?

That's obviously a different scenario. It's not "I'm introducing a new feature." it's "I'm rewriting the system to work this way so that it works with I've already done and plan to do in the future".
What I'm saying is that while I'll love the new incoming features (no questions asked here), I'd rather have ONE version of the game I can play rather than many I can contemplate.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2016, 01:01:48 pm »

I'd rather have ONE version of the game I can play rather than many I can contemplate.
I personally agree; I have been sort of waiting for the 'just right' version since about 40.19
but I understand, and accept the way things are being done the way they are now.

Minimal immersion breaking issue(s) is what I ask for in most of my games[, though I know it's a tall order really].

That said, I think I'm going to start my first fort [since 40.19] in this version or the next :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:07:31 pm by Chaosegg »
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2016, 01:02:29 pm »

... check the bugtacker as those bugs are already fixed for the next version...

You don't get the point. Every release fixed some bugs and introduced more along with new features. I'd wish them to release a version where there are no new features (especially big ones) that inevitably break the code and just get rid of bugs.
So you want two releases, one that has new features, and one that's simply a bugfixed iteration of the last one?

I've no idea if that's feasible, though it wouldn't hurt to make a topic for it in the Suggestions sub-forum.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2016, 01:23:35 pm »

There is never going to be a release of Dwarf Fortress that will satisfy every player.  It's a labor of love project, with one programmer.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't ever enjoy the game.  The game's modding features are incredibly extensive.  You can literally mod the entire physical universe, from stone types to creatures.  (There are some behaviors you can't change, and you can't mod the skills, but hey, you can literally modify the tissue construction of every animal in the world.)  So, even if the game itself has a few flaws, most of them can be made up for with mods.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2016, 03:43:51 pm »

You can literally mod the entire physical universe, from stone types to creatures.
And some are trying that, see DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession and its predecessors for previous versions.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2016, 04:51:49 pm »

That we're also getting long asked for features at the same time as the bug fixing is just an added bonus.

No it's not. Because most of the new features added since DF2014 broke something important, I'm not talking about glitches or incomplete features, I'm talking about forts getting screwed by the heavy military, stockpile and inventory bugs. I love new features, but I think I'd rather have a non-broken version with less features than a broken one with many.

I've actually been thinking about going back to DF2012.
That is a fair point, but it is a trade-off. resolving ever bug as it appears will inevitably slow down progress. Also., this is ultimately a personal project, they have to at least somewhat follow the inspiration... Perfectly stable releases would be really nice, but I, for one, have no issues with them being few and far between. Also note that if you only play stable releases then you will not be contributing to the bugfixing...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2016, 05:55:19 pm »

There are many releases that have consisted solely of bugfixes. Sometimes bugfixes can introduce bugs of their own - for example, 0.40.24 attempted to fix issues with building constructions on trees, but the fix ended up causing crashes. Perfectly-stable releases may be rare, but that doesn't mean Toady isn't fixing bugs at all.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2016, 05:45:31 am »

Fairly convinced at this point that anyone complaining that Toady, as one person, isn't fixing enough bugs doesn't actually understand how making a game works, or how many bugs he's fixing all the goddamn time.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Ajikozau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2016, 01:44:40 pm »

Fairly convinced at this point that anyone complaining that Toady, as one person, isn't fixing enough bugs doesn't actually understand how making a game works, or how many bugs he's fixing all the goddamn time.

Fairly convinced at this point that you haven't read, or understood, what I wrote.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2016, 04:51:15 pm »

Fairly convinced you guys are talking past one another.

Yes, a bugfree version of df would be nice, but it is not practical for reasons that can only be understood if you have ever written a complex program yourself. (Baically, each release cycle is toady refining or finishing a previous sytem. He cannot get out half of the bugs this causes because he doesn't play long term fort, hence why it is always more efficient to release a buggy game. Sometimes, bugs get fixed due to one of the release cycles(for one, multi-race forts fixed all the issues related to non-dwarven nobles), sometimes they get introduced, sometimes systems interact unusually, and sometimes it just helps to work on features for a few months so that players can iron out the causes for bugs or upload nice and reproducable saves, which then makes bug-fixing cycles more efficient).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

devenv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2016, 12:42:21 pm »

Damn, I got the zero export bug because liaison or whoever that is won't leave the tavern...
No barons kings etc... Sad...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2016, 01:01:45 pm »

That bug is unrelated to diplomats hanging out in the tavern. I have yet to see that the partying diplomats have any negative impact. The export bug is a bug in the code of wealth itself, IIRC, and it's fixed for the next version.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]