Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generating Announcements via Syndrome, and other plague queries...  (Read 564 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile

I'm working on a syndrome which causes dwarves to sneeze Plump Helmet Man spores, progressively infecting more and more dwarves until people start changing into berserk Plump Helmet Men. However, I've got a few questions...

1. Is there any way to tie sets of symptoms together to a % chance of occurring? Currently, I've only been able to do so by having dummy materials which infect CAN_DO_INTERACTION and subsequently becoming subject to the foibles of interaction usage.

2. What symptoms can cause an announcement, other than transformation? I know dizziness, tile flash and fever are identifiable, but they're easy to miss... I've also noticed that unless creatures are caught in a mortal confrontation, "caught a cloud of X" doesn't appear or generate a combat log.

3. How does one make repeat doses/overdose work? I know SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED is supposed to worsen certain symptoms, but which are applicable?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Generating Announcements via Syndrome, and other plague queries...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 12:27:22 am »

A. No.

B. None, only transformation.  Dfhack has an announcement generating module though.

C. The only effects that can be concentrated are those designed to have gradually increasing effects.  The standard list of negative symptoms, personality changes, and mood effects.  It does not work with transformations, attribute modifiers, or anything else that was added during the necromancer/vampire/werewolf update.  Also, it only works with material syndromes, not with interaction syndromes.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Generating Announcements via Syndrome, and other plague queries...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 07:47:58 am »

Alright, follow-up query.

I've determined that there's no way to make the syndrome un-contractable, as it'd require retroactively changing the dwarf's creature caste or class, which then involves a kludgey transformation effect. However, interactions have IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS, and this plague spreads by the infected using a material UNDIRECTED_GAS interaction on themselves. Would it then be possible to have an "immunity" syndrome, so that those "inoculated" could get infected with the entry stage all damn day, but refrain from using the plague?

Alternatively, I could change the interaction usage trigger form GREETING to ATTACK, and see if it somehow reaches critical mass when a tantrum spiral goes off...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!