Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Dwarven Economy) 42.05 LNP -Combined game phase-  (Read 32583 times)

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Community Fortress) 42.04
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 09:33:43 pm »

I'll go with R. I'll need to borrow supplies, but I think I'm going to build a farm district.

How do we do trading through the trade depot? Make requests?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:38:18 pm by Urdothor »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 09:38:27 pm »

Actually, I was thinking about taking District H. For several reasons. Military may have something to do with it. Maybe.

Also, how do we decide upon releasing HFS upon the world?

Ok, I'll set you up for District H.

If you decide to release the HFS in your district, you may experience sanctions from the other Districts.  Also, you may want to think about the fact that replacements to your District will come from whomever is still surviving from your Founding seven + family.  Releasing the HFS too soon could just make the entire embark a haunted and cursed city.  I can certainly see "Post-Apocalypse District Management" be a part of the game.  However, I hope the City has a chance of becoming a thriving metropolis before it's inevitable doom.  It could become the New Atlantis falling below the HFS rather than the waves...

and Urdothor gets District R. 
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 09:49:06 pm »

How do we do trading through the trade depot? Make requests and make offers? Or maybe when someone comes to trade at the trading depot, you post images of whats available and we make requests for goods?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 10:37:31 pm »

When the Merchants arrive, I'll be pausing the game and sending out an updated save file so that everyone can see what they have to offer.  Districts can then post what they wish to trade and with which trade goods. I'll probably put the game on hold for a day or two while we wait for everyone's response, then continue on until Spring hits before sending out the new update.  I'll be doing the same for any caravans from other civs as well.  I can do the same when a were-creature or military force shows up too, so everyone can tell me how they want to respond.

I've updated the OP with the save file for the embark.  You'll notice that this is the basic save from before the Founder's District really gets started.  I'll be updating it with the seven dwarves each District is choosing.  I left the Nobles unfilled and retired the embark, so that when I un-retired it, all the Noble slots were chosen at random by the RNG.  All the dwarves have been grouped into families, each taking their name from the husband's paternal grandfather.  Single dwarfettes and dwarves are also named by their paternal grandfather.  I've added "Miss" to the single females and "Mr" to all the males, leaving out the "Mr" from male children, so Players will be able to see who is related to whom at a glance.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:44:49 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 10:41:46 pm »

Though I'm still a little unclear on exactly how it'll work, I'd like to throw in my lot. I'm not very good at fort mode, but hey, maybe it'll cause [fun]!

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 11:03:57 pm »

I've updated the OP with the save file for the embark.  You'll notice that this is the basic save from before the Founder's District really gets started.  I'll be updating it with the seven dwarves each District is choosing.  I left the Nobles unfilled and retired the embark, so that when I un-retired it, all the Noble slots were chosen at random by the RNG.  All the dwarves have been grouped into families, each taking their name from the husband's paternal grandfather.  Single dwarfettes and dwarves are also named by their paternal grandfather.  I've added "Miss" to the single females and "Mr" to all the males, leaving out the "Mr" from male children, so Players will be able to see who is related to whom at a glance.

Is this so we can choose dwarves, and go ahead and start?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 11:04:43 pm »

Also, you may note that there is a legendary bowyer named Mr Braidedtorments in the "free range" citizens: he made an artifact bow called "The Braided Torments", and as a reward for making an artifact, he gets to take the artifact's name as his own as well as keep the skill he gained from it.  Artifact makers will always be able to keep the skill they get from creating an artifact successfully.

Also, there happens to be this ghost hanging around - the unhappy spirit of one of the Founders.  He was attacked and slain by a were-civit who was then slain in turn.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:12:55 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 11:06:06 pm »

Is this so we can choose dwarves, and go ahead and start?

Well, choose dwarves and set up trades with the others.  I'm using the Pheobus graphics pack bundled with the Lazy Newb Pack.

I haven't set a deadline yet, though, so go ahead and noodle around in the save if you like.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:07:49 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 11:24:56 pm »

I'll pick some dwarves, but I won't claim them yet so others have an equal chance too. I'll look at my chosen plot a bit though.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 11:32:20 pm »

Ok.  How about this:  Players have a chance to claim Districts and post their choices for starting dwarves on Saturday the 23rd at noon, forum time.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 11:39:20 pm »

That sounds fair. I agree with that.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 05:57:00 am »

Can we claim fewer founding dwarves, and get to seven later, picking from migrant waves?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 06:04:49 am »

Can we claim fewer founding dwarves, and get to seven later, picking from migrant waves?
Good question.  I'd say, no.  If you want to wait a year before claiming a District to see if there are better choices from the migrants that came in during that time, that would be acceptable, though.  The best part of this scheme is that even if there are nineteen different people set up to play a District, that means that there's an empty district waiting to be claimed next turn.  For a DF game, that's some huge availability!

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 06:31:47 am »

I'd like to claim L for the record. This is going to be fun.  :)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 10:24:50 am »

My thoughts would be more a more conservative self-sufficient hermit-style approach. 

First
Definitely need at least 2 wood logs -> carpenter workshop, and training axe.
So 1 of 7 would be Carpenter + Wood Cutter. 
It will probably take 1 season to cut all the trees within a district.
With special attention to Olive trees.

Second
Depends on how one would acquire 1 pick, because we need to dig deep to uncover the district's hidden resources.
So 2 of 7 will be a Miner.

Third
The land looks green, so it is most advantageous to skill up Plant Gathering.  Hopefully there will be at least Olive trees, and the ability to gather cloth type seeds such a rope reed, helm, flax, or cotton.
So 3 of 7 will be a Herbalist + Brewer; and eventual Grower and Cook.

These first 3 shold cover the basic needs of
Shelter (wood walls, beds, furniture, cups)
Militia Defense (miner's pick)
Food and Clothing (Herbalist and Grower and Kitchen)

Position 4, 5, 6, and 7 will focus on long term renewable resource such as:
Stone - obsidian casting
Glass or clay, after at least 1 magma-safe minecarts is traded for.
Animal: Fishing pond, or egg layer nest box.
Silk - if a web spewer is caught or traded for.

Yeah, notice there is no anvil?  I'm thinking of adding this for my own challenge, if a district can be self-sufficient without anvils.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24