Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Dwarven Economy) 42.05 LNP -Combined game phase-  (Read 32278 times)

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Community Fortress) 42.04
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 08:06:50 pm »

I suppose you want above ground buildings? It'd be quite incredible to see roads, skybridges, and eventually minecart skybridges delivering things across the city through the sky!
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 09:44:01 pm »

I suppose you want above ground buildings? It'd be quite incredible to see roads, skybridges, and eventually minecart skybridges delivering things across the city through the sky!
Above-ground buildings would be a fun challenge, but the more usual dwarven delvings also would work.  I'll be building/digging the Founder's District on human scale except for the doorways, which means that when digging, I'll be either using the ramp or channel to dig 2 z-levels up or down, and all stairs will be in sets of two z-levels, vaulted ceilings and peaked roofs on little cottages as well.  When I render it in Armok Vision, it just looks more impressive like that.

I'd love to see the city grow up as well as down - that's part of the reason I embarked on a mostly flat terrain with a little mountain in one corner - so the sky would be tall enough for some impressive above-ground structures if that's what was wanted by a Player.  If both adjacent Districts agree to a joint project, i don't see why they couldn't build something over/under the road that divides the districts.  This could be lots of fun.  As the updates roll out, I'll be updating the version of DF I'm using for each year.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:54:54 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 12:41:26 am »

Above-ground buildings would be a fun challenge, but the more usual dwarven delvings also would work.  I'll be building/digging the Founder's District on human scale except for the doorways, which means that when digging, I'll be either using the ramp or channel to dig 2 z-levels up or down, and all stairs will be in sets of two z-levels, vaulted ceilings and peaked roofs on little cottages as well.  When I render it in Armok Vision, it just looks more impressive like that.

I'd love to see the city grow up as well as down - that part of the reason I embarked on a mostly flat terrain with a little mountain in one corner - so the sky would be tall enough for some impressive above-ground structures if that's what was wanted by a Player.  If both adjacent Districts agree to a joint project, i don't see why they couldn't build something over/under the road that divides the districts.  This could be lots of fun.  As the updates roll out, I'll be updating the version of DF I'm using for each year.

That sounds like it would be really cool. An actual dwarven city, extending up and down.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 12:59:04 pm »

could i get 'G'? I'll be able to play next week, so probably in the second year.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 01:29:02 pm »

My preference is either District F or K.
How do I obtain:
2 logs
1 pick
and 1 anvil?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 01:40:15 pm »

Actually, I was thinking about taking District H. For several reasons. Military may have something to do with it. Maybe.

Also, how do we decide upon releasing HFS upon the world?

Ok, I'll set you up for District H.

If you decide to release the HFS in your district, you may experience sanctions from the other Districts.  Also, you may want to think about the fact that replacements to your District will come from whomever is still surviving from your Founding seven + family.  Releasing the HFS too soon could just make the entire embark a haunted and cursed city.  I can certainly see "Post-Apocalypse District Management" be a part of the game.  However, I hope the City has a chance of becoming a thriving metropolis before it's inevitable doom.  It could become the New Atlantis falling below the HFS rather than the waves...

and Urdothor gets District R.

How's about a dorf in district R? This is quite the grand undertaking. Lots of people have talked about doing it, but I don't remember seeing anyone making this kind of organized go at it.

I'm most interested to witness it!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 02:01:03 pm »

How's about a dorf in district R? This is quite the grand undertaking. Lots of people have talked about doing it, but I don't remember seeing anyone making this kind of organized go at it.

Alright, I'll dorf you once we start. Name/occupation preference? I'm going for a farming industry specialization.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2016, 02:24:29 pm »

I'm angling towards a traditional stone industry, and operating a gang of miners. They would be available for hire. As soon as I get more picks that is.

I'm not sure how many picks there are, but I won't need much excavated for year one, so I'd be happy to help out a neighbor if I could.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2016, 02:33:09 pm »

Trying to get us district mayors to do some pre-planning.

Districts:
A B C D E
F G H I J
K L M N O
P Q R S T

G - Gwolfski
H - Chaotic Skies (military)
F or K - Sanctume (self-sufficient bunker)
L - Shofet (mining, stone quarry)
P - Timeless Bob (Main, Nobles)
R - Urdothor (farming)

--

Not knowing what initial resource other then 7 dwarves, and not know how what the logistics about food and drink, we can pretend the basic needs to food/drink is done.

Does that mean we need a way to make beds independent or get those from District P?

But since we're only doing a "blue print" the turn will focus more on building, digging, and figuring out layouts. 

Eventually, we will want safety / defense.  So I'm more keen on building z+0 wall, with z+1 fortification, with z+2 lip roof. And a redundant 2z 2-wide dry moat, and a bridge out to the road for inter-city trades.  Or we can volunteer / draft citizens to the military.

So depending on the building materials and tools available, the first year may require us all to worry about the initial food/drink and shelter building self-sufficient.

Or would it be more of a district just gathering raw resource and trade with District P's excess food and furnitures?  And eventually, focus on workshop for end-product trades?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 02:44:20 pm »

Alright, I'll dorf you once we start. Name/occupation preference? I'm going for a farming industry specialization.

Ahhh no wait I got confused I want to be a military dorf! This is important! I should be in district H. I'm sorry, I'm confused today. Please name him Mr. Beard. He should be an Axedwarf.

My wife, however, DOES request a dorf in district R. She says she should be named Eva, and should be a woodcutter or carpenter. Sorry again.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2016, 02:47:38 pm »

I'm not really sure. I think the Founder's District is lending out tools in return for favors? I don't know about food or drink, but I should have a farm and maybe brewing station set up by the end of the first year, if everything goes well. That should solve any needs for food relatively quickly.

Ahhh no wait I got confused I want to be a military dorf! This is important! I should be in district H. I'm sorry, I'm confused today. Please name him Mr. Beard. He should be an Axedwarf.

My wife, however, DOES request a dorf in district R. She says she should be named Eva, and should be a woodcutter or carpenter. Sorry again.

Don't mention it. Eva. Alright, I shall remember that once we start.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 03:22:45 pm »

If anyone would like to request stone block production, or any stone works, please do so. I will be erecting a simple wall at first around my district for the first year, so I should have some excess.

I know were supposed to wait to claim, but I would really like the Feb couple. I'd gladly settle for whats left otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:24:16 pm by Shofet »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2016, 05:20:21 pm »

My preference is either District F or K.
How do I obtain:
2 logs
1 pick
and 1 anvil?

One of the nobles is, I think, a woodcutter, so your logs are taken care of.  However, The Founders can lend you one of their own to cut down a tree if that is not so, as a gesture of welcome to to the new District.

The Founders will sell you the anvil in exchange for three out of every five of whatever is shaped on it, and the option to buy it back first before it's sold to anyone else (like the caravan).  Furthermore, this deal remains with the anvil, so that if it's re-sold to another District, then that new District also must pay the Founders one in every five items shaped on it.

One of the nobles (the broker I think, or perhaps the manager), is a miner with a pick, so you can use their services in your district for "free".  The Founders also have another pick in their stockpiles, so if your offer is a good enough one, they may choose to sell or rent it to you.  Be aware, though, that this might begin a bidding war with the other Districts who might also want to own or rent the pick.

This is our initial offer.
Let the negotiations begin!

Both Districts F and K are still available, which one do you choose?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:24:18 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2016, 05:41:46 pm »

That's a thought... To make inter-district trading easier, we could just smelt a bunch of coins out of different metals and use those.  Relative rarity would make the conversion rate a cinch: If there were 3x as many aluminum coins and there are copper ones, then 3 Aluminum coins=1 Copper.  Likewise for other metals.  Anyway, then Districts could trade stuff by putting a price on them in various coins and people could trade goods with other Districts to get the coins to pay for stuff with other Districts... Each District could have a "treasury" where coins would be stored and we'd have a real economy.  Each year, I could update the "Treasury" of each District based on new or continuing Inter-District trade agreements.  Of course, various Districts could try to devalue a coin by making more of them, or increase the value of a coin by putting them in the treasury and refusing to use them...  Oh, it should be great fun.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2016, 05:44:21 pm »

That's a thought... To make inter-district trading easier, we could just smelt a bunch of coins out of different metals and use those.  Relative rarity would make the conversion rate a cinch: If there were 3x as many aluminum coins and there are copper ones, then 3 Aluminum coins=1 Copper.  Likewise for other metals.  Anyway, then Districts could trade stuff by putting a price on them in various coins and people could trade goods with other Districts to get the coins to pay for stuff with other Districts... Each District could have a "treasury" where coins would be stored and we'd have a real economy.  Each year, I could update the "Treasury" of each District based on new or continuing Inter-District trade agreements.  Of course, various Districts could try to devalue a coin by making more of them, or increase the value of a coin by putting them in the treasury and refusing to use them...  Oh, it should be great fun.

That does sound like a lot of fun. Bartering could still happen as well, as sometimes bartering is more worthwhile and valuable than coins.

I have a question regarding the stocks we currently have. What kinds of seeds did we embark with?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24