Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

Author Topic: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Dwarven Economy) 42.05 LNP -Combined game phase-  (Read 32596 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

If a district makes a tavern and has people petition for citizenship is it up to that district, the Founders district, or a council of districts? Also, will they be considered as migrants or district citizens?

After weighing the pros and cons, I'm going to say that the District who has the highest ranking Noble as a member will get to approve citizenship requests, and if granted, the new citizen will become a member of any District willing to pay the "application fee", or become a "free range" migrant if no District wants them.

This is how I see this happening:
1. Visitor applies for citizenship at some Inn
2. Game update file posted to the forum along with an announcement of the application
3. Player whose District was applied in takes a look at the applicant in the updated save game (while anyone who wishes to does also by uploading the save file.)
4. Player decides whether or not to sell that application to the District containing the next higher Noble than is in their District (Mayor->Baron->Count->Duke->ect...)
5. Player attempts to sell the application to the Player with the next higher Noble.
6. If sale is accepted, but that Noble is not the highest one in the City, the cycle repeats from step 4.  However, if the person who bought the application is the highest ranking Noble in the City, then they decide whether to grant the request or not.
7. The Player who granted citizenship then can decide to auction off the membership of the new citizen to other Districts in order to attempt to recoup their investment, or they can decide to just eat the price and have the new citizen become a member of their District instead.
8. If offered for auction, the price of the new citizen's "application fee" must be met or exceeded.  Otherwise, the citizen is deemed not worth their fee, and they become "free range" instead.  (Making the granting of the request a bit of a gamble.)   

Me no understand!

So if you gate an applicant, everyone has to agree or what? wouldn't it be easier that just the player who owns the tavern has to beproducing enough food booze for them, if they accept?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If a district makes a tavern and has people petition for citizenship is it up to that district, the Founders district, or a council of districts? Also, will they be considered as migrants or district citizens?

After weighing the pros and cons, I'm going to say that the District who has the highest ranking Noble as a member will get to approve citizenship requests, and if granted, the new citizen will become a member of any District willing to pay the "application fee", or become a "free range" migrant if no District wants them.

This is how I see this happening:
1. Visitor applies for citizenship at some Inn
2. Game update file posted to the forum along with an announcement of the application
3. Player whose District was applied in takes a look at the applicant in the updated save game (while anyone who wishes to does also by uploading the save file.)
4. Player decides whether or not to sell that application to the District containing the next higher Noble than is in their District (Mayor->Baron->Count->Duke->ect...)
5. Player attempts to sell the application to the Player with the next higher Noble.
6. If sale is accepted, but that Noble is not the highest one in the City, the cycle repeats from step 4.  However, if the person who bought the application is the highest ranking Noble in the City, then they decide whether to grant the request or not.
7. The Player who granted citizenship then can decide to auction off the membership of the new citizen to other Districts in order to attempt to recoup their investment, or they can decide to just eat the price and have the new citizen become a member of their District instead.
8. If offered for auction, the price of the new citizen's "application fee" must be met or exceeded.  Otherwise, the citizen is deemed not worth their fee, and they become "free range" instead.  (Making the granting of the request a bit of a gamble.)   

Me no understand!

So if you gate an applicant, everyone has to agree or what? wouldn't it be easier that just the player who owns the tavern has to beproducing enough food booze for them, if they accept?
Ok, so suppose you "gate" an applicant, and your District also has the Mayor as a member of it.  If the Mayor is the highest ranked noble in the City, you get to choose whether to accept or deny this individual that citizenship.  If there's a Baron in some other District, then your Mayor doesn't get to choose, but your District can benefit from "selling" that citizenship application to the District with the Baron in it.  Now the Baron gets to choose whether to make this individual a citizen or not, because they're the highest noble.

Now, suppose there's no Baron yet, and you as the Mayor don't want to immediately just make the individual a member of your District: (Maybe they're an elvish minstrel and elves killed your parents or whatever), then you can still get some benefit from auctioning this new citizen off to another District.  If the auction goes well, your District is richer and the other District gets a new citizen.  If, however, nobody wants to pay the minimum of what you spent buying the application (in the Mayor's case it would be no cost at all), then the elfish minstrel becomes a "free range" laborer, and is able to be picked up as a District Founder by a new Player.

It would be simpler to just say >poof< new citizen!, yes, but these little dynamic mini-games within the context of the bigger one are what will make the City really feel alive, because it keeps the Players active within the decision loop.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

...... Hows about we have the dried ears of elves as currency? conveiniantly sized, non-reproducible, and we aint using them For anything else !
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

but he still lives in the inn, doesnt he?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

but he still lives in the inn, doesnt he?

Is that how it works?  Hmm.  I guess then he'd be paying that Inn a rental stipend from the District that owns him, or will own him as a "free range" migrant.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

this might help. so lets say if they are only visitin (renting a room) Its up to the owner of the inn. but if it is long-term/civilanship petition, then it is the method you have.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A good reason to dig ramps all the way to the cavern, and build an inn there.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Next to the tunnel road!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We have a tunnel road?

I read that you can butcher those accepted citizens.  Human biscuits anyone?

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We have a tunnel road?

I read that you can butcher those accepted citizens.  Human biscuits anyone?

It runs north to south on your side of the map.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can we move to 42.06? It would solve the no humans most likely.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can we move to 42.06? It would solve the no humans most likely.
I'm using the LNP so, I'll check if they're up to 42.06 yet.
I have a feeling we'll be getting humans sooner or later - the closest human civ is on the other side of the Dwarven one, next to a goblin civ.  Their tower might be one of the reasons The Merchants of Wood are still around.

There's the LNP for 42.05 so that's what I'm using for year 202.  I'll update the game as we continue, which will be interesting, as the new features will slowly implement with it as it ages.  Very cool.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:07:05 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Dwarven Economy) 42.05 LNP -Combined game phase-
« Reply #312 on: February 12, 2016, 05:54:16 pm »

and instability

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: "The City" (Multiplayer-ish Dwarven Economy) 42.05 LNP -Combined game phase-
« Reply #313 on: February 28, 2016, 04:19:36 pm »

rumbling from the deeps......

BUMP!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 28, 2016, 10:12:08 pm »

Sorry guys, my laptop bit the dust a few days ago and its been an interesting internet-less week since then. 
Fortunately, all the "blueprint" save files and the original "main game" file is waiting right here in this forum for me to upload.
Unfortunately, I'll need to start over from scratch getting it all together, so the history as it stands may need some re-writing. 

No worries, we're good to go!

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24