Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Fantasy / Sci-fi Books  (Read 7828 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy / Sci-fi Books
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2016, 07:47:00 pm »

On the topic of "Badguy main characters", prince of thorns by Mark Laurence does it.
I really like the way the character development worked in that one.
I had a brief glance at the reviews on Goodreads and people pretty much either said it was shocking-yet-amazing or deserved to be burnt along with its author and anyone who enjoyed it. I think I will have to check this book out! :o

The Gap Cycle sounds quite interesting, too, as do a few others in the thread. I'll have to check them out more thoroughly when I have the time.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2016, 07:54:31 pm »

On the topic of "Badguy main characters", prince of thorns by Mark Laurence does it.
I had a brief glance at the reviews on Goodreads and people pretty much either said it was shocking-yet-amazing or deserved to be burnt along with its author and anyone who enjoyed it. I think I will have to check this book out! :o

The Gap Cycle sounds quite interesting, too, as do a few others in the thread. I'll have to check them out more thoroughly when I have the time.
I was about to say "good luck finding it", but the series is apparently quite cheap used. It's also available in audiobook format! :o

Guess I know what to do with all those saved credits.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2016, 08:14:49 pm »

Another one I very much enjoyed is The Last Angel. Unpublished and somewhat unpolished forum-thing on Spacebattles, but honestly one of the better sci-fi stories I've read, ever, and what strikes me as a very interesting premise.

Link.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2016, 11:14:20 pm »

To be honest, I read the first one, and it kind of bored me? It was a little too try-hard edgy. And while the author isn't Satan incarnate, and can often be pretty insightful, he has a terribly unfortunate habit of going into asshole mode when interacting with any criticism at all. There was one overreaction to his books, and while I'm not going to accuse him of prodding it for publicity's sake (as I am 100% sure he was just prodding it along by virtue of sometimes verging into asshole mode) I feel like a good portion of the five-star side of his reviews have come from a bit of an asshole fanbase rising situation?

One day he's going to have a Phil Fish moment if he keeps going in this direction, and tank a bunch of his sales in the process, and I'd hate to see that happen. :/  That said, I am planning to skip the Jorg books, and see what he can do with a different type of protagonist. It's in my backlog. I'm going to have to, in no small part because I have to suss out my competition, due to the protagonist of my current project being much closer to the "bad guy" end of the spectrum. :E
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Atomic Emu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2016, 02:00:54 pm »

Apparently the first three The Witcher books received an English translation few years ago and the last two are scheduled for 2016 and 2017. Very much recommended. I assume most of you are familiar with the games, so you probably know what it's about.

As for sci-fi, I'd like to recommend No Time for Heroes by Sam Lundwall. It's a story of a lone scout of a 40k-ish Galactic Empire sent on a mission to a planet abandoned millennia ago, now controlled by a very bored and slightly insane computer.
And you gaze up at the sky
As the clouds are passing by
And you wonder for a while
What it would be like to die

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2016, 02:46:32 pm »

The Revelation Space series is great. It's interstellar science fiction without FTL, soyou have to deal with time dilation etc. At the start of the first book chapters alternate between several characters who are years and lightyears apart. I liked the first book the most, but the others are also pretty good.

Red Mars is one of my favorite books because it has insanely good characterisation and literally world-shaking events. Despite rapidly devolving into a shitstorm, the book reads very optimistically,  which I really like in science fiction.

Neuromancer is also amazing. The original cyberpunk book. Rather gritty and pretty edgy but a very enjoyable read. The book doesn't explain any of its terms, leaving you to figure out what they mean from context, which I actually quite enjoyed.

Good Omens is great in every way and you should read it right now. It's the brain child of Pterry and Neil Gaiman. Absolutely hilarious, yet incredibly endearing.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2016, 03:00:48 pm »

I'm reading the Forever Peace at the moment. Not bad so far, pretty good caracterization.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2016, 12:08:47 am »

Good Omens underwhelmed me, to be honest.

On the other hand, wait, Revelation Space has sequels? Why did I not know this?!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2016, 12:22:26 am »

And prequels.

I found the first prequel particularily good.

On the other hand, I found the last sequel (Absolution Gap) a bit underwhelming.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2016, 10:52:29 pm »

3rd place - The Hyperion Cantos.

I just read through the first two books, have you read Ilium and Olympos by the same author?

I liked those two much more, but they didn't have the unusual structure of the Hyperion Cantos.

The Revelation Space series is great. It's interstellar science fiction without FTL, soyou have to deal with time dilation etc. At the start of the first book chapters alternate between several characters who are years and lightyears apart. I liked the first book the most, but the others are also pretty good.

Neuromancer is also amazing. The original cyberpunk book. Rather gritty and pretty edgy but a very enjoyable read. The book doesn't explain any of its terms, leaving you to figure out what they mean from context, which I actually quite enjoyed.

I really like these ones, Revelation Space was one of the first really hard science fiction I ever read.

Neuromancer is one of the finest works of science fiction I've ever read, also I felt like everything except for the environment of cyberspace described the internet fairly well. Especially the consensual shared hallucination part.

Have any of you read the Poseiden's Children series at all?

Or the Quantum Thief?

The last person I recommended that one too found it very slow going and not terribly entertaining, but I really enjoyed it because it was very vibrant.
I second the rec's for The Expanse (starts with Leviathan Wakes), Hyperion Cantos, and Fire Upon the Deep.  Loved them.

Ian Banks' "Culture" novels.  If you like Dan Simmons' Hyperion, you'll enjoy these.  There's like a dozen of these, but they all read 100% stand-alone so no need to read in order.

The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi.  Near-future scifi eco-dystopian. 

The Windup Girl was one of the hardest reads I ever made it through. The universe is just so... frustrating to me. Yeah sure, just throw away all this nice stuff we have and replace it with the Flintstones-esque woolly mammoth powered factories, not even joking. The ending was sort of satisfying, but Idk, the book wasn't really worth it in my opinion.

Fire Upon the Deep has my favorite alien species. I imagine them as packs of semi-sentient dogs, but they have snake necks and stuff, so really more like weasels with a dog body. No surprise that they end up forming basically the same bond with humanity as dogs, but... more mathy actually.

I'd recommend the book Marooned in Realtime by the same guy. It's fairly good, a nice science fiction detective story with a fairly solid cast of characters.

The Expanse is great as a book series, and the television series of it done by the Syfy channel is actually top-notch as far as television adaptations go.

The Culture series is actually my favorite science fiction series that I've ever read. If you like them, then there's a book called "Swallow the Sky" which I've seen compared to the series.

I wouldn't call them all that similar, but Swallow the Sky is a far future story about an antique collector in a universe where all of humanity's history from Earth is gone. Kinda like Bloom actually.

Bloom is good, but it's a bit of a pain to read due to the way that it's structured, big parts of it are serialized as a reporter's... not quite narrative, but like a description of a cameraman with notes about how the footage should be edited. It's a bit interesting, and the story is good, the setting is acceptable, but Will McCarthy isn't a terribly strong storyteller in my opinion.

More recently I've read Starship's Mage, by Glynn Stewart is actually one of the better things I've come across with Amazon's kindle unlimited. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be published in a physical form yet, but the price was right.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2016, 10:58:58 pm »

Another weird-but-neat, free-on-the-Internet series I've enjoyed was the Empire From Ashes trilogy. The premise begins with "The Moon is an alien spaceship" and continues from there.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2016, 11:37:31 pm »

I actually have that in big paperback form. Wish there was more of it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2016, 11:38:51 pm »

As do I, though it was published recently enough for that not to be an actual impossibility.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2016, 02:58:12 am »

It's one of those things that's not completely terrible in a void, but if you've ever read Weber before you'll be able to guess every plot point before they happen. It's primarily loaded with his fetish for inserting individuals from a technologically advanced culture into a more primitive one at roughly Renaissance-era tech dominated by an expy of the Catholic Church with pure, kind laypeople and cartoonishly evil leaders. Though that's just a secondary plot for a while, the main one is as astonishingly wanky as it is different from his usual fare; instead of evil politicians interfering with the pure and righteous military or the aforementioned pike-and-musket fetish it's just a plain HFY stomp in which Earth-humans are (gasp. hear my surprise.) actually a lost colony of an ancient galactic civilization.

Oh, spoilers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2016, 03:30:49 am »

And therein you have captured most of the problems with the books. It's too bad, really.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6