Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do anyone's dwarfs get stressed anymore?  (Read 1783 times)

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do anyone's dwarfs get stressed anymore?
« on: January 20, 2016, 02:42:33 pm »

In the new edition, with very few exceptions, my dwarfs' stress level tends toward -99999 without any intervention from me. I suspect this is due to the fact that work and "socializing" in the tavern both lead to happy thoughts. I also see much less thoughts of "Urist McMaudlin was horrified at seeing a troglodyte die." Does anyone have dwarfs that are stressed?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Do anyone's dwarfs get stressed anymore?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 02:53:02 pm »

I have one, and it is quite difficult to get rid of. He's been stressed for a couple years now. Alcohol and practicing martial arts are all that keep him going.

Mostly, his problem was boredom.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 03:38:51 pm »

I haven't seen an unhappy dwarf since the new 0.42.xx came out. And I'm not doing anything in particular to make them happy. No mist generators, no artifact traps in my dining hall. Generally not even any engravings anywhere but nobles' rooms. I keep them well fed and boozed, and everyone has their own rooms, but other than basics like that, I haven't needed to do anything to keep them happy. I you would have to specifically try to get a tantrum spiral to happen now. Hmmm, maybe that's a good idea for my next fort: Dwarfburn the Fort of Tantrums.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:08:05 pm »

Build a drop pit above your dining hall/tavern. Station soldiers in the middle, and make sure it's big enough to catch the station order. Use a lever in the dining hall to activate it, and make sure the floor is heavy enough to damage or kill the living drop pod.

I think you'll get stressed dwarves after a few rounds of that.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 06:13:24 pm »

praying and drinking give a LOT of happiness, also since idle dwarves will pray this is basically free happiness

ive taken this opportunity to put my elf corpse stockpile right in front of the entrance to my fort as to make them get used to it and not freak out over a loose gobbo tooth

thats how hardening works right? they see dead sapients and over time it will stop bothering them?
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 06:19:59 pm »

IIRC, seeing sentient corpses and body parts increases stress each week per individual. 
The skill up towards "don't care anymore" comes during and witnessing of the actual kill.

This is how it is in v40.24

And I have not read any science in terms of v42.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 07:27:49 pm »

I have a large number of humans who don't care when something dies. We had a bit of a slaughter inside the town at once point, but my guys couldn't have seen more than one or two people go down. I wonder if witnessing sentient deaths counts more towards hardening a dwarf/human in this version.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 08:22:04 pm »

It seems as though the lack of stress in our dwarves in this version is a bit of a throwback to 34.11, where a dining hall, bedroom, and a nice piece of furniture would be sufficient.

Player111444

• Bay Watcher
  • I Fight for Nod!! POWER:30 PEACE:35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 08:38:15 pm »

i think i had 2 stressed dwarves in my fortress. i don't know how i could make them unstressed or how they got it. one was from the military and the other was an trader. they were as usual had red down arrows and are unhappy.

so what i did when i have a FB trapped in a room i just threw them in as a dwarven sacrifice and made them FB food.

The version that i was playing was DF 42.04 VANILLA No DFhack and no Dwarf Therapist.
It's been a long time old friend.

Not a fan of CnC Rivals.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 02:58:12 am »

When you do weird stuff, they can get stressed.

Like hauling 400 sapient corpses from the surface. A few guys didn't like that so much.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 03:19:59 am »

I was thinking the same thing, dwarves are happy and nothing can go wrong. I have an above ground fortress, and now there are three that are stressed. I kind of want to see what happens if I do not change anything about their daily lives. Though its not the mass amount of sapient corpses theyre depressed about. It seems to be the buzzards that continuously attack them on a daily basis.
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 11:33:15 am »

Yeah, I have two out of about sixty who are in bad shape. They both have high stress vulnerability and have been in my fort over a year. What seems to have gotten them is a combination of the following:

1. Frequent trips above ground in a jungle biome, leading to their getting rained on over and over.
2. Trauma due to having to... deal with... some annoying visitors in front of the general population.
3. Being in key labors and constantly busy which prevented them from praying/socializing/etc.
4. One of them lost a friend to alcohol poisoning. I would expect him to celebrate the culling of such a weak dwarf from the herd, but he just got all emo about it...

They have been stressed for a while now, but aren't having any sort of breakdowns yet. I turned off hauling for them, roofed over the above ground areas that dwarves visit frequently, and made sure they got a chance to pray and hang out with others. Since stress is so much more long term now I will just have to wait and see if that does the trick.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 12:38:55 pm »

I had stressed dorfs because I wanted to finish my grand dining halls, temples and libraries. I had to designate some interim places to keep she fort running.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 03:26:11 pm »

Due to the new syndrome on alcohol, getting stressed dwarves is incredibly difficult. I don't know exactly what part of the syndrome exactly cause this behavior, but dwarves in a state of inebriation have some kind of stress resistance.

For example, they won't care about a hundred sapient corpses as long as they are drunk enough.

I mainly suspect the CE_FEEL_EMOTION:EMOTION:EUPHORIA, but it might as well be linked to personality alteration especially with THOUGHTLESSNESS (make dwarves don't care ?).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 04:38:31 pm »

I might do an extreme Sparta fortress for SCIENCE once my current fort starts to bore me.
Meaning no booze, only plump helmets for food, no beds, no dining rooms, no tavern, no temples, no library, no clothing. See if it is even still possible for dwarves to snap.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: [1] 2