Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarf refuses to train  (Read 1389 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
dwarf refuses to train
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:21:38 pm »

one of my militia dwarves, who is a former brewer refuses to train, instead he only harvests plants from the farm even though ive disabled all labors on him

he is a brewer so i cant change that setting to "only farmers harvest" because he counts as a farmer

is there any way to force this guy to train or should i just strip him down naked and throw him off a cliff to train my medical dwarves.... of which i have none and would like to start a hospital
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarf refuses to train
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 07:40:38 pm »

I always thought that "Only farmers harvest" meant only those with the grower labor set would harvest, not anyone in that general category of occupation. But That was just an assumption on my part, I haven't tested it. Have you?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 08:02:51 pm »

I always thought that "Only farmers harvest" meant only those with the grower labor set would harvest, not anyone in that general category of occupation. But That was just an assumption on my part, I haven't tested it. Have you?

I'm pretty sure that it does only count growers as farmers for that order, at least I've noticed that from my experience.

As for the militia dwarf, make sure the barracks is set to (t)rain for his squad, he has his equipment, and if you have them set to training in the schedule menu, that he isn't a dwarf with no currently scheduled order (4 dwarves set to train, 5 in squad, and he is the odd one out).
If all else fails, use (s)quads and set up some live training

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 11:43:34 pm »

If a military dwarf is doing any labor besides training, you don't have him active.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 09:31:59 am »

If a military dwarf is doing any labor besides training, you don't have him active.

ditto.

And just to expand on this in case it isn't fully clear, in order to activate the squad that he is in, you need to go to the [m]ilitary screen and go to [a]lerts, from there you can choose which alert the squad will be active under.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 11:46:12 am »

ditto.

And just to expand on this in case it isn't fully clear, in order to activate the squad that he is in, you need to go to the [m]ilitary screen and go to [a]lerts, from there you can choose which alert the squad will be active under.

i do have that done, he dosnt have any other labors assigned

i have 2 dwarves in his squad, him and another guy who was one of my 7 starters (who were all peasants) he trains by himself almost all the time, only breaking for food and sleep

the dwarf in question DOSE train, but only when there isnt any crops waiting to harvest, he always goes to train, trains, and then a crop is ready and he leaves to harvest it, then goes back to training until another crop is ready

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 12:37:03 pm »

Do you have a schedule for that squad to have one order of 1 soldier minimum to train for that particular month?
This is my usual way to let some of my dwarf train and some do civilian work.

Other than that, are your changes to zero labor applying to the correct dwarf?  Or if you're using Dwarf Therapist, are you committing the changes?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 12:46:18 pm »

Do you have a schedule for that squad to have one order of 1 soldier minimum to train for that particular month?
This is my usual way to let some of my dwarf train and some do civilian work.

Other than that, are your changes to zero labor applying to the correct dwarf?  Or if you're using Dwarf Therapist, are you committing the changes?

im not sure about the first thing you said, i just set up the squad like i did in all my other forts and this is the first time im having this issue

and yes, ive double checked that the dwarf in question dose have 0 labors enabled

what are things i should get screenshots of so you guys can get a better idea of whats going wrong?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 04:00:18 pm »

i have 2 dwarves in his squad, him and another guy who was one of my 7 starters (who were all peasants) he trains by himself almost all the time, only breaking for food and sleep

the dwarf in question DOSE train, but only when there isnt any crops waiting to harvest, he always goes to train, trains, and then a crop is ready and he leaves to harvest it, then goes back to training until another crop is ready

Repeating what others have said: you have this squad set to Inactive.  That means they are operating as civilians.  They may choose to train, or not, as they see fit.  Any training they do will be solo, never in groups.

If you want them to operate as military, not civilians, you need to set their squad to Active / Training.  If you haven't messed with orders and alerts and schedules, and you're just using the defaults, you can do this by pressing s and then the letter for their squad and then t.  This should change a line on the screen from "Inactive" to "Active / Training".  The dwarves should go from hollow smileys to solid smileys (in the default ASCII interface).  Their titles should change from "Farmer" or  "Peasant" or similar, to "Recruit" or "Wrestler" or "Axedwarf" or whatever their military title is.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 04:25:22 pm »

Repeating what others have said: you have this squad set to Inactive.  That means they are operating as civilians.  They may choose to train, or not, as they see fit.  Any training they do will be solo, never in groups.

If you want them to operate as military, not civilians, you need to set their squad to Active / Training.  If you haven't messed with orders and alerts and schedules, and you're just using the defaults, you can do this by pressing s and then the letter for their squad and then t.  This should change a line on the screen from "Inactive" to "Active / Training".  The dwarves should go from hollow smileys to solid smileys (in the default ASCII interface).  Their titles should change from "Farmer" or  "Peasant" or similar, to "Recruit" or "Wrestler" or "Axedwarf" or whatever their military title is.

they were set to active/training already, though with some fiddling around i somehow fixed it