Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chained goblins?  (Read 1076 times)

Oriolus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Chained goblins?
« on: January 20, 2016, 01:26:47 pm »

In the earlier versions I always restrained my goblin prisoners, and used them as archery targets for my militias. Currently (v42.04) they don't even appear in the restraints' list - I can only chain their war animals. Therefore I have created a room with full of chains for breeding them. Unfortunately, the beasts instantly attacked my animal trainers as soon as they chained them. Also, the militia considered them as enemy, and slaughtered these valuable pets right away.

The DFWiki says: "Restraints are also very useful in weaponizing otherwise untameable creatures that you've managed to capture in a cage trap. Hostile creatures on restraints will no longer be aggressive to dwarves, which means semi-megabeasts (giants, cyclops, and ettins), bronze colossuses, and even forgotten beasts can be chained"

Is this a bug, or restraints are really only for (tame) animals in the newest versions?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Chained goblins?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 01:45:53 pm »

known bug, i think its fixed for the 42.06 version
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 02:01:34 pm »

The goblin part is fixed (assuming the fix is not just for slow learner sapients) in the next version.

The chaining of beak dogs is some other issue. It's known that mounts can be "trained" but they will still remain hostile to your civ, and thus attack. There is also a loyalty issue with trained megabeasts that cause them to get into conflict with military dorfs, but not civilians. My guess is that the beak dog issue is due to them being mounts, but I've never tried chain breeding (maybe I should try it with my magma crabs...).
I'd expect the giant variant semi mega beasts to fail being chainable currently due to their sapience.

If you want to breed beak dogs you might try pitting them into their breeding pen instead. Since beak dogs are not sapient, they're not subject to the chaining/pitting bug. Another alternative is to build their cages in their pen and hook them up to a lever to release them all at once. Personally I've not seen any need for breeding beak dogs as the gobbos just bring more every siege, but I've heard it said you can deplete their stock of trolls and beak dogs (since those are the troops typically caught/killed first, before the remainder of the force flees).

Oriolus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 02:47:49 pm »

Thank you for the answers - I wait for the bug fixes with my breeding projects then.  ;)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 07:32:40 pm »

Chain breeding is relatively safe on wild animals (if you can get second generation animals up and running,bypassing the hostile mount issue). On something that can be baited like a beak dog id recommend using a configuration in which the chained beak dogs are always 1 tile in proximity to 1/2 males in a cage then luring the young into cage traps via bait (pets on restraints/statues etc) preferably in a square arrangement with the cage in the centre.

Works on a variety of things. Especially yeti's due to longevity and relative size meaning longterm-service of fur/skin bones and meat, even aquatic animals (harder than it looks, engineering nightmare but do-able).

If you feel kind, releasing one or two 'wild' beakdogs might add them to the local landscape for interesting results if you can force them off the map.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 01:48:21 am »

SO my plan was to chain up my pet vampire. He's been a lot of fun to keep around, all things considered. I had a simple trap system where he represented the fallback. Well, turns out, i don't control the chain, the justice system does. He's already been convicted of triple homicide, hammered (i have no idea where the silver warhammer came from), and released, and then hospitalized. He's out, and i get him half way to his burrow and doot he runs off for another victim, so i have to lock their door.

I guess all i can do is build a giant arena around his house when I finally wrestle back control of him.