Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: One Dwarf Against the World  (Read 241763 times)

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One Dwarf Against the World
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

First of all, the story is great. Been lurking in on this story for a while. I particularly like the ways Urist kills people with her traps.(I haven't played to the part where the Economy starts, so, meh.)

Secondly, what happened to Melbil? I'm not good with the icons yet, so, is that smilie a dead dwarf or something? Is Melbil himself dead? Do I ask too many questions? (that's a yes, by the way). I be confused...

[ March 28, 2007: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2007, 11:16:00 pm »

Urist used a flood trap to kill the migrants and threw one of the bodies into Melbil's cell, presumably expecting him to eat it.

I think.

f it''s broke, fix it.
If it''s not broke, break it.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2007, 12:15:00 am »

Yeah, sorry that's not clear- it's a dead dwarf body (Atir's in fact). In the actual game terms I'm trying to give Melbil bad thoughts with the repeated waves of miasma the corpse will produce, but it makes more sense that he's freaking out at the concept of having a dead body sitting in his cell.

Urist doesn't necessarily want Melbil to eat it, she was just getting his attention/his hopes up.

There's no problem with questions- I was thinking that I relied too much on the pictures to explain important bits this last update (mainly thinking to a possible date in the future when imageshack decides it doesn't like me anymore, rendering my story incomprehensible).

Comments in general: the more the better. The more I know what people like (or don't like, or find unclear) the more I can concentrate on those aspects.

[ March 28, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2007, 06:24:00 am »

I like this. Being watching breathlessly. Good work!

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2007, 07:36:00 am »

Still Awesome
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »

Lol poor Melbil, hes not doing so well in there. I'm kinda rooting for him as well now though

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2007, 01:49:00 pm »

First of all, thanks for the explanations.  :)

Secondly,I have a new title for Eiba. This one, in fact.

EIBA ONE THE GREAT!

Yeah. Cool, huh? Then again, it IS time for the disclaimer/Eiba praise, so Toady, please don't smite me for this. And Eiba, WE ALL LOVE YOUR STORY! YAR!

[ March 28, 2007: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »

i actually like how the pictures tie in and explain bits of the story.  i could infer that there was a floodgate and a bridge, but seeing how its layed out really makes it come together.

the same was true with the elephant emerging from the water in the previous installment.

Dedas

• Bay Watcher
  • The dwarf next door
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2007, 02:36:00 pm »

Eiba what resolution and tileset are you using? Is blackspace on? I really like to tweak my game to something like yours.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2007, 05:12:00 pm »

The tileset is the very bottom one on this page: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Tilesets

The object tileset is a modified version of the Dystopian Rhetoric tileset found here: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Object_Tilesets

I actually started before the newest release of said object tileset, so I drew my own humans and skeletal elephants. Needless to say I've have upgraded to his humans because mine sucked (you'll see the new ones this summer). I've kept my skeletal elephants though, I also have skeletal mandrill and skeletal bonobo/chimpanzee graphics, but they aren't that good. I also made my cats black, which is why you can never see Urist's... It's actually in a lot of the screenshots...

The resolution is 1280x960 with blackscreen on for fullscreen mode. 1280x400 for windowed mode, but that's actually wider than my computer's normal resolution, leading to some issues... I actually have no idea if I've optimized anything, I've only gotten the above numbers through trial and error, with no theoretical knowledge at all on the subject...

quote:
i actually like how the pictures tie in and explain bits of the story. i could infer that there was a floodgate and a bridge, but seeing how its layed out really makes it come together.

the same was true with the elephant emerging from the water in the previous installment.

Of course I feel the pictures add a lot- that's why I spend so much time formatting them... And that elephant... let me tell you, I wish I had been recording that because it scared the hell out of me... The thing just shot straight out of the river right at that Dwarf I was watching... I only took the shot a couple seconds later...

quote:
Yeah. Cool, huh? Then again, it IS time for the disclaimer/Eiba praise, so Toady, please don't smite me for this. And Eiba, WE ALL LOVE YOUR STORY! YAR!

Yay! Thank you!
But half of any praise for me should go to Toady- the fact that this story is as good as it is in very large part due to the fact that the game is doing a heck of a lot of the writing for me.
The level of coherency that I have is really a testament to how well put together the game is.

And another thanks in general for all who have commented!

Edit: Heh, it seems I left a picture out of my last update. Atir's group drowning:

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »

Hehe... they just keep on coming, and keep on dying - I can't believe the dwarves would still be sending them  :D Is Urist even slightly depressed by all the corpses?

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2007, 07:43:00 pm »

I have to say that this torturing of Melbil is excellent  :D A new way of seeming to torture someone with out making the game actually making the dwarf depressed. My hopes now. Melbil never to go depressed and drown himself.
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2007, 10:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by short_dwarf:
<STRONG>I have to say that this torturing of Melbil is excellent   :D A new way of seeming to torture someone with out making the game actually making the dwarf depressed. My hopes now. Melbil never to go depressed and drown himself.</STRONG>

Yes, it would be much better if he went mad and destroyed the door to his cell in a bezerker rage!

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2007, 01:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gakidou:
<STRONG>Yes, it would be much better if he went mad and destroyed the door to his cell in a bezerker rage!</STRONG>

SHHH!!!

(It is troublesome though, as that damn door keeps making him happy... Oh sure, you're suffering the most excruciating torture I can put you through but you "Admired a fine, tastefully arranged door lately" so you're fine?)

Anyway, I'm sorry for not updating for a while- I got caught up in another fortress (I generated a fortress called Lizard Bodices, and just had to play it...)
I was just fiddling around with possibilities for the near and far future in Tholoddom earlier today, and I think I got a few good ideas... I should have a lot of free time tomorrow, though I can't make any promises about how I'll spend it.

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

He could always be insane and get through the day thinking about how tastefuly the door is.
[DEMONLORD]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23