Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: One Dwarf Against the World  (Read 241029 times)

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One Dwarf Against the World
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 01:42:00 pm »

Poor elephants, getting harrassed by dwarves all the time.  :D
[DEMONLORD]

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2007, 01:38:00 am »

Lol, really nice work on the newest parts  :)
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2007, 11:25:00 am »

I suggest building a ballista and some fortifications so it can shoot randomly outside. I've had dwarves go mad with power in the operator's seat.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2007, 01:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Koji:
<STRONG>I suggest building a ballista and some fortifications so it can shoot randomly outside. I've had dwarves go mad with power in the operator's seat.</STRONG>

A ballista would require wood for arrows though, right? Best to start out with a catapult.

TomTheHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 01:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gakidou:
<STRONG>

A ballista would require wood for arrows though, right? Best to start out with a catapult.</STRONG>

Either one requires nine wood just to build, though; it'll be a long time before Urist forges an axe and gets her hands on that much wood.  Still, the siege engine idea is a great one.

Valarauka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »

Wow, this is a great story  :D I'm eagerly anticipating more...

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 02:37:00 pm »

Oh no!  There's no more story right now!  But I was so entertained...

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tylui:
<STRONG>Oh no!  There's no more story right now!  But I was so entertained...</STRONG>

Patince, patience... I have to go to classes somtimes... And it takes quite a while to write while uploading pictures...

quote:
Originally posted by Koji
<STRONG>I suggest building a ballista and some fortifications so it can shoot randomly outside. I've had dwarves go mad with power in the operator's seat.</STRONG>

That's not actually a bad idea... I've honestly never used siege engines all that much, but with just one dwarf I imagine it would be far more effective in combat than the alternative...

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »

I believe the most effective counter to sieges for a single dwarf is a moat with a raised drawbridge.

It doesn't really fit Urist's style since it doesn't actually involve killing the other guys, but it will work wonders in preventing anyone from entering her precious fortress (I guess except miners that might dig inside.
Ooh! You should built a moat across the entire length [or would the be width? breadth perhaps?] of the fortress so truly no one can enter.)

Also, keep it up, its a really cool story!

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2007, 06:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>I believe the most effective counter to sieges for a single dwarf is a moat with a raised drawbridge.

It doesn't really fit Urist's style since it doesn't actually involve killing the other guys, but it will work wonders in preventing anyone from entering her precious fortress (I guess except miners that might dig inside.
Ooh! You should built a moat across the entire length [or would the be width? breadth perhaps?] of the fortress so truly no one can enter.)

Also, keep it up, its a really cool story!</STRONG>

Frogmen and flying beasties can still get over the moat. I think the only way to block out everything external would be to have a raised drawbridge behind a lava moat behind a water moat. Although I think a dragon could still break through that...

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2007, 09:40:00 pm »

The Seventh Day.

Urist reviewed her situation. She felt she was rather safe from interlopers now that she'd rigged the entrance hallway to be flooded, it was time to dig in and make her new home more comfortable before expanding further. First thing she did was to fashion a table and a chair out of stone and place them in a small cave she dug near the food store. This would be where she ate, as, Urist being a civilized dwarf, sitting on the floor was just unacceptable.

She was rather satisfied by her work, thinking the dining room she'd made to be very good indeed.

Next she decided, almost on a whim, to craft a glorious statue of herself... But where would she put it? Well, she'd have to dig a nice room for it... and so she did. It was all so wonderful, she would have a whole room dedicated to her great statue, like one of the heroes back home! It was only natural that she should be afforded such an honor, as she would be the Greatest Dwarf in History, or so she was determined.

The statue wasn't a masterpiece, but she thought she had done pretty good for herself considering her experience... She was determined to get better, and one day make a masterfully crafted statue... But for now she had to lug this one to her "statue garden" as she was already thinking of it.

Unfortunately, as she was dragging it into place, she lost her balance, and control of the statue- the both fell, with the statue on top of Urist...

Damn! Things had been going so well... how in the world was she supposed to get this thing off of her...

The cat came in... meowed sympathetically, sat around for a while, and then left looking rather bored... It was no help... Urist struggled, but she was pinned... This was no good at all...

Stuck, she began to reflect... Why was she even making this statue? Wasn't her alcohol supply rather low? She barely had any plants left to brew... She didn't know how long it would be before her meat started to rot... It was under ground, but the heat and humidity from the jungle could still be felt... Even if it didn't rot, what if the seasonal floods came early and washed her food away? And what would she do if the Dwarves sent someone to punish her? Or if a goblins decided this mountain was theirs?

Suddenly she was very angry with herself. Dining rooms and statues? She needed food and defense! Summoning martial energy, she forced the statue off of her and stalked out of the room.

The rest of the day she spent mining. She greatly expanded the cave by the river, to give a place for plants to grow in the mud that would be washed there, and then, leaving a wall, dug a new cave to use as a food store and working area. She just managed to haul the last of the food to it's new home before she was forced to return to her bed in exhaustion.

The Seventh Night

---

"Hey, did you hear about the Mad Dwarf Urist?" Ral the jeweler was gossiping with her friends, as the lady-dwarves tended to do, loudly and boisterously in the bar with everyone else.
"Of course, how could we not have?" Said Vabok the farmer.
"Yeah, it's all over Liruksibrek!" Agreed Vucar the craftsdwarf.
"Yeah, well did you hear about the band that left to go live with her?" Said Ral.
"Why would they do that?" Said Vabok.
"They'd have to be maddwarves themselves!" agreed Vucar.
Vabok went on, "I know, they say the Mad Dwarf lives in a terrible dark jungle, filled with all sorts of unspeakable horrors!"
Ral had a smirk on her face, "I bet I know why!"
"Why?" Said the other two dwarves intently.
"The mountain must be packed with gems and other riches." Ral's eyes lit up as she thought of what must have driven anyone to live in such a jungle, "I bet that's why the Mad Dwarf tried to kill the merchants- she wanted to keep all those riches for herself!"
"Oooh," Vabok and Vucar said together, half in awe of the potential treasures, half in awe of their friend's astounding deductive skill.
"And that's why I wanted to meet you here," Ral went on, "We're going to get those treasures!"

---

The Eighth day.

First thing Urist did when she got up was to start working on the food issue. The alcohol issue would have to wait, as it was still winter, such as this jungle had a winter, and so no plants grew in the cave.

Urist had gathered some quarry bushes growing in the hallway last fall, and so she set about making them edible. It was a complicated process, but she had most of the materials already, she just needed some type of bag... Checking the river, there were plenty of cave spider webs... She was determined to make them into a bag... somehow...

The work was slow, as she was inexperienced with working silk... Eventually, though, she managed to make something that resembled a bag... Anyway it would do for her purposes.

In the end she had so many quarry bush leaves she could make ten meals! They weren't edible yet, so she cooked them in her makeshift kitchen, along with some longland grass seeds for flavor.

When she finished that, she noticed herbs were growing by the river. Spring must have arrived, and so she set off to see if any were usable plants for alcohol production...

[ March 28, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »

Oddon was miserable... His wife Ral had somehow suckered him into agreeing to her latest crazy scheme to get her hands on Gems... She had always been scheming about gems, she had even studied to become a jeweler, despite the rampant unemployment among members of that guild... Oddon didn't know why so many dwarves were attracted to the Jewelling profession, even though most of his coworkers were jewelers... He was, of course, a rock hauler.

It was just him, his wife, and her two friends, Vabok and Vucar... At least Vabok could farm... between Vucar and Ral, all they could do was make expensive trinkets... Oddon supposed that was actually the plan... He sighed. Of course he would be stuck with all the odd jobs, having no skills of his own...

"Ah, here we are!" Ral sounded victorious.
"Hurrah! we knew you could find the place!" Vabok always seemed to speak in the first person plural... Was she speaking for Vucar, Oddon wondered, or did she think herself a queen?
"Hurrah!" Echoed Vucar.
Oddon sighed. "So what were we going to do about the homicidal maniac living in there?" he asked.
Ral's friends glared at him. Ral herself said, "There, there, no need to be so pessimistic. Don't you trust me?"
No, thought Oddon, but he decided it was smarter to keep quiet.

---

Urist had found that plants thrived even in the mud from the water that had been used to execute the stinking thieves (She kicked one of the skulls as she passed the now-rotted corpses), she had been poking about in the mud all the way up the hallway, but despite many promising looking plants, she hadn't found anything she could brew yet... Ah, but there in one of her old work areas, there was a mushroom growing that looked quite promising!

"That's good Vabok! No, not like that Vucar, with your shoulder down more."
"Why aren't you doing this?"
"There, there, you're always irritated aren't you? Well, the fact is, someone has to organize you all."
"..."
"Now then, one, two, three, charge!"

There was a rather dull thump at the door... Apparently more stinking thieves had arrived. This group of dwarves seemed particularly incompetent, but their mere intentions sent Urist into a blind rage.

"Okay... I think it moved a little, let's line up again. One, two, three, charge!"

Urist threw open the door, and three dwarves stumbled onto the ground in front of her. A fourth stood looking rather shocked.

"You!" Urist shouted at the only dwarf not prostrate, "You stinking thief! What makes you-"
"No!" The dwarf shouted back with surprising determination, "You thief! You think I'll let you keep them all for yourself!? You think you can keep them all for yourself!? HA!"
Urist was stunned, what was this mad dwarf talking about?
"Vabok, Vucar, get up and take out the Mad Dwarf!" The dwarves weren't doing anything of the sort, still in a tangled mass on the ground, getting in each other's way of standing.

Urist had seen enough. She rushed down the tunnel, sure that the stinking thieves would follow.

---

Oddon continued to be miserable... He was covered in mud, as Vabok and Vucar had used him as a means to get up... They had even pushed his face in the mud as the mad dwarf had shown up, so he hadn't been able to see her...
"Hurry, hurry, she's getting away!" Ral shouted.
"We're running as fast as we can!" Vabok replied. They were all running, on Ral's insistence, deeper and deeper down a narrow muddy tunnel. It was narrow enough that they had to go single file, and for some unfathomable reason, Oddon had been shoved in first... Vabok's implied jab at his speed hurt- he prided himself on his speedy stone hauling...

Suddenly in the darkness he tripped over something and tumbled a few more feet ahead.
"What are you doing!?" His wife shrieked, "She's getting away!"
"Ugh!" Oddon shuddered, "Bones!"
"What are you talking..." Ral had evidently felt them herself...
"It's a trap, we're caught in the Mad Dwarf's trap!" Vabok cried.
"Traped!" Vucar echoed.

*Click*

Oddon was completely and totally miserable.

---

Urist was brooding... That dwarf had called her a thief! Urist had never done anything wrong, she was always the victim!

She was also discouraged by the lack of plants (turns out the one in the workshop was just a damn dimple cup), and so, capitalizing on her already set up hallway flooding devised, decided to build a large cavern off of it that would fill with water and hopefully produce plants eventually.

As she worked, the dwarf's words echoed through her head. What had Urist ever stolen? Could that dwarf have known!? How could she... nobody knew... She continued to dig, shaking as she swung her pick... Nobody knew, how could they... She made sure they hadn't... Her father was dead, they couldn't know. Her father was dead, but she was still wracked with guilt... because she had taken his pride and joy, his pick... The very instrument she now used, the one she had driven through her father's skull... She was just a little dwarf... she was only playing with it, she wasn't going to loose it... Her father didn't understand, he'd never understood anything... She was bedridden for a month... a month of agonizing pain... Why couldn't her father understand!?

And now... did they know? Did they know she had stolen it? She had felt a deep dreadful pit in her stomach- had she been caught?

She finished up the cave she was digging and went off to sleep an uneasy sleep.

The Eighth Night.

---

I played for much longer, but decided to cut today's story down so these events wouldn't be overshadowed by what's to come...
(For the record I would never be so cruel as to tease my readers... probably)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »

quote:
(For the record I would never be so cruel as to tease my readers... probably)

Suuuuure you wouldn't.   :)

The murders are always fun but what I really enjoyed was the part about the statue - well I say 'enjoy' but honestly it made me nervous, I hadn't realized switching them to military fixed that problem, I always have another dwarf come along and uninstall the statues when somebody gets stuck underneath them, but with a population of one that obviously presents a serious difficulty...here's hoping no little bugs or glitches come along and end Urist's tale early. Anyway, mainly I'm just impressed that you bothered to cover that part in such detail, it made a great addition to the story but a lazier writer might have just glossed over it or not mentioned it at all.  

Also, for some reason the 'very good' dining room for one struck me as being absolutely adorable. Likewise the statue garden. I have got to try this sometime, I don't know why but the idea of a miniature fortress really appeals to me.

[ February 27, 2007: Message edited by: Solara ]

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2007, 11:11:00 pm »

Really looking forward to the next part  :)
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2007, 07:35:00 am »

MAD DWARF + crazy dwarf=HAPPY,MAD MASTER
+ SLAVE

in the "next" immigration one dwarf should be wise enought to NOT fall in any of the traps,and would be crazy him/herself. Making a happy couple of master / slave

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23