Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: One Dwarf Against the World  (Read 241036 times)

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Re: One Dwarf Against the World
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2007, 08:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rooster:
<STRONG>MAD DWARF + crazy dwarf=HAPPY,MAD MASTER
+ SLAVE

in the "next" immigration one dwarf should be wise enought to NOT fall in any of the traps,and would be crazy him/herself. Making a happy couple of master / slave</STRONG>

Please no.

Also, what happened to the cat? :O

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2007, 08:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>Also, what happened to the cat? :O</STRONG>

I recall having written about it on several occasions, but I guess most of those bits must have been edited out as superfluous and poorly written...

The cat's still around and killing cave spiders/producing miasma at a tremendous rate...
I really should have put something in there about how neurotic it became when I locked it in the statue room in an effort to allow the cave spiders to survive long enough to produce silk... (It was flashing "?" and would probably be spamming me with pathing errors if cats could do such a thing.)

And about the slave idea... I'm largely in agreement with Slartibartfast... Though if I do the same exact thing every immigration wave it might get boring. If a slave is ever taken though, it won't be happy, and it will contribute nothing to Urist's works... After all her whole madness is based on a need to prove herself, by herself... (Incidentally, can you assign non-criminal dwarves to chains?)

quote:
Originally posted by Solara
<STRONG>Anyway, mainly I'm just impressed that you bothered to cover that part in such detail, it made a great addition to the story but a lazier writer might have just glossed over it or not mentioned it at all.</STRONG>

Heh, well, I have to admit it was largely because nothing else at all happened that day...

quote:
<STRONG>I thought this was an entertaining enough update in its own right, but here you think it's going to be 'overshadowed by events to come'? What else happened?</STRONG>

Events were set in motion... actually I'm going to have to play a bit ahead to make sure things work out the way I imagined they should... (If they don't, my claims of overshadowing might seem silly...)

And thanks in general to everyone following this- the number of positive comments I get is directly proportional to the motivation I have for posting the next bit. So far I've not been lacking motivation.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2007, 09:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>And thanks in general to everyone following this- the number of positive comments I get is directly proportional to the motivation I have for posting the next bit. So far I've not been lacking motivation.</STRONG>

Then take every comment I make as positive  :)
(Especially since the fact that I'm commenting suggests I'm very much interested in the story => positive comment  :))

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2007, 11:08:00 am »

Best dwarf story thread I've ever read. Just watch out for any fey moods.
[DEMONLORD]

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Poil:
<STRONG>Best dwarf story thread I've ever read. Just watch out for any fey moods.</STRONG>

IIRC you need to have atleast ~20 dwarves to start getting moods. Though that may only be a romuor and/or based on pure chance.
But what do I know?

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2007, 07:56:00 pm »

20+ dwarf immigration and a little bit of bad luck, and bam!
[DEMONLORD]

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2007, 09:30:00 pm »

Considering so far 14/15 of the dwarves who've tried to call this place home have died, and the dwarven caravan returned home with 50% of their goods... And there's barely enough space mined out for one dwarf to live...

I don't see 20 dwarf waves coming in...

That said, I imagine that "only over 20" is a trick of statistics... Quite honestly I think a fey mood would be awesome. I plan on making all the types of glass just in case (when I get some spare time)... She'll have to catch a cave lobster too (and eat it... I wonder how I'll get her to do that... probably lock her in a room with it until she starts to starve...), not to mention gather all the ores, and get at least one bar of each, and as many gems as I can find (cut and uncut versions)... Any other really common mood-killers that I didn't think of?

Of course, this will only be when I have the spare time... in other words, as likely as not: never... It's a goal though.

(In case anyone was wondering, I don't think I'm up for an update tonight, though I might play a little. I may or may not write on Thursday, but I promise updates Friday, Saturday and Sunday.)

[ February 28, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »

While i hope there is an update thursday, i can wait until friday, because it would probrobly be bigger  :)
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>
That said, I imagine that "only over 20" is a trick of statistics... Quite honestly I think a fey mood would be awesome. I plan on making all the types of glass just in case (when I get some spare time)... She'll have to catch a cave lobster too (and eat it... I wonder how I'll get her to do that... probably lock her in a room with it until she starts to starve...), not to mention gather all the ores, and get at least one bar of each, and as many gems as I can find (cut and uncut versions)... Any other really common mood-killers that I didn't think of?
[ February 28, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]</STRONG>

Don't forget about leather. It might be had for you to get some, since I don't imagine you'll send Urist hunting, and since you only have one cat, you can't breed any livestock.
Also: stone blocks of all three types.

000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2007, 12:04:00 am »

another u forgot...what if your dwarf got hit by a fell mood?

oh and silk and plant cloth as well. Then there is still the need for wood.....

[ March 01, 2007: Message edited by: short_dwarf ]

Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2007, 12:07:00 am »

nevermind on that didnt see you type mood killer   :D
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2007, 12:47:00 am »

Awesome stuff, I'm highly anticipating the next 'installment' in the series  :)

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2007, 01:08:00 am »

Leather probably won't be too hard to come by; there are always giant cave toads. You do only have one piece of wood left; if a mood hits that requires wood before you manage to get an axe, you are screwed.

(Unless you happen to create an artifact Axe.)

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2007, 04:06:00 am »

Also, you need to remember that if Urist is truck by a mood, there won't be any dwarf available to go resource-hunting.
Maybe if an immigration wave comes at exactly the right time, they could help, but I don't think that's very reliable :P
But what do I know?

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2007, 02:48:00 pm »

With the way things have been going I really don't see the fortress getting enough immigration to make a mood even possible, so I really doubt there's anything to worry about.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23