Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why does my dwarf have a book  (Read 707 times)

Owly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
why does my dwarf have a book
« on: January 21, 2016, 05:19:47 pm »

So I just came back to the game after a long time absent. I founded my fortress, "Endshoots" in a savage forest. There are lots of fruit trees at the site, so when my first wave of migrants came, I assigned lots of them to be plant gatherers. It is the first fall now--I was checking what sort of fruit my gatherer-dwarves had in their inventories when I discovered that one of their number, Ustuth Lashëdumat, carries a book around with her.
From the first screen I could only see the title, "The Mystery of the Struggle." Upon examining it in detail, it is a twenty-page essay, written by Ustuth herself, about the time a kobold beat her up in the year 109.
"The writing has a touch of melancholy. Overall, the prose is amateurish at best." The wiki says that books can only be bound in stone, wood, metal, or glass, but Ustuth's is bound in sapphire.
I then examine Ustuth herself. Her traits are not unusual. Her values are those typical of a dwarf, except that she "personally does not care about family one way or another and doesn't see cooperation as valuable." One thing unusual is that nothing distracts her. Other dwarves in Endshoots get "unfocused" or "distracted" if they aren't given decent meals, or if they've been kept away from their friends, or if they are unable to worship their deity. Ustuth becomes "unfettered" after staying occupied or practicing a skill, but is unfazed by bad circumstances.
Onwards to her relationships. A couple of her cousins also live in Endshoots, but her mother, father, and siblings all live elsewhere. She worships two deities, the god of wealth and fortresses, and the goddess of the earth, neither an unusual patron for a dwarf. But--quite strange--she has a "master" listed. And--even stranger--he has a human name, Nepe Mumadap.
I return to Ustuth's own description. Her age leaps out at me, as it didn''t before. She is sixteen, born in 109--the same year she "fought", according to her book, the kobold.
I think to myself that the dwarf must have been terrorized by a kobold as an infant, kept the memories held tight in her mind throughout her childhood, and then written a book about it as a teenager--and bound it, somehow, in sapphire. Then, before the age of sixteen, she must have sought out Nepe Mumadap, who is, perhaps, a necromancer, and--
But then I look again. She was born, according to her profile, on 23 Moonstone 109--that is, early winter. The incident with the kobold occurred, according to "The Mystery of the Struggle", during Granite 109--that is, early spring, the very beginning of the year, before Moonstone!
I unpause the game. Ms. Lashëdumat carries her haul of plumbs to the grand fruit stockpiles within the fortress. She sets back out, perhaps to gather cherries, still with her anachronistic, sapphire-bound book in hand. I, meanwhile, appeal to the forums for help.
Ustuth has a master--does that mean that she is a necromancer? Or that she will become one? If she does, is she a danger to the fortress? Or an asset? How is her book bound in sapphire? How can she have been beaten up by a kobold before she was born? Why does she have a book in the first place?
!!Emergency Irrigation!!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: why does my dwarf have a book
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 05:27:16 pm »

"Master" just means she was apprenticed to a scholar at some point. Thats probbably where she got the book from.

Books can be bound in anything, I think.

She fought the kobold via time-travel.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 05:28:59 pm »

new feature, dwarves can write books

im not sure if is possible for a dwarf to become a necro unless you bring the book from a necro tower in adventure mode, which you clearly havent done
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 06:11:06 pm »

Her fighting a kobold before she was born is .... suspicious ....
If she's a vampire though, that would mean that vampires no longer fabricate family relations out of thin air, but can tell the truth about it now too, since you mention that she does have some listed family members that actually exist in your fort.

The book being bound in sapphire isn't anything special though. While in fort mode, you cannot make gem book bindings, worldgen doesn't care about that restriction.

I don't think Toady added "Kobold McDomesticViolence kicks the dwarf in the stomach, bruising the embryo in the womb" yet.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:15:28 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:32:28 pm »

Her fighting a kobold before she was born is .... suspicious ....
If she's a vampire though, that would mean that vampires no longer fabricate family relations out of thin air, but can tell the truth about it now too, since you mention that she does have some listed family members that actually exist in your fort.

The book being bound in sapphire isn't anything special though. While in fort mode, you cannot make gem book bindings, worldgen doesn't care about that restriction.

I don't think Toady added "Kobold McDomesticViolence kicks the dwarf in the stomach, bruising the embryo in the womb" yet.

vampire can be ruled out if she is observed eating, vampires now drink socially so you cant tell by it anymore
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/