Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clown Stew Challenge!  (Read 1856 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Clown Stew Challenge!
« on: January 22, 2016, 09:12:25 pm »

Context:
For your starting embark in this challenge, you've been given 7 Dwarven Chefs, along with the following starting equipment:

10 pig tail seeds
10 sweet pod seeds
10 cave wheat seeds
1 copper battle axes
7 copper picks
10 gabbro blocks
1 iron anvil
1 pig tail rope
40 dwarven ale
40 large rat meat
3 peahens
1 peacock

Guidelines:
This is a challenge for version 0.42.04 of Dwarf Fortress, unmodded. (vanilla)
You may use Dwarf Therapist.
You may, if desired, use DFHack:Reveal/Unreveal. Only.  No other DFHack scripts or features, please.  DFHack is not required and I have completed the challenge myself, entirely without DFHack.  The only reason this guideline is here is so that FPS may be preserved by avoiding the caverns.
No reclaims, please, but savescum as often as you wish.  :P

Goal:
As quickly as possible, by the in-game calendar, be the first fort to produce a Clown Stew.
Spoiler: Clown what now? (click to show/hide)

Download: Here is the save,ready for extraction & placement into your data/save/ folder. There's nothing special about this save, all raws are default.

Notes:
There is an aquifer, but it does not cover the entire embark.  It is specific to one biome.
You should not receive any caravans.  Nor liaisons.  Nor additional migrants beyond the two hard coded waves.
Half of the clowns in this world are potentially edible.

The in-game starting date for the challenge is: 15 Granite, Year 1000, Early Spring

Winning:
The posted/linked saved region that has a Clown Stew in the fortress, with the fewest in-game days between embark and stew, will be the winner.
The challenge starts as of this posting time/date. Go go go! :D
The challenge will end on Monday, Feb 1, 2016, 11:59pm, MDT.
At that point, I'll review all the submitted forts to see who produced their Clown Stew in the fewest number of in-game days.
One submission per player, please!  Just post your submission in this thread.
Any issues or questions, PM me or reply.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:14:25 pm by vjek »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clown Stew Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 04:49:35 am »

Slightly off tangent, but what's the condition for a clown to be butcherable? I seem to have encountered only those that are fundamentally inedible and those that are considered sapient and thus not butcherable on that account.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 05:39:01 am »

Perhaps for this to work you need to mod your dwarves to be more like elves (cannibalism = ok)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 10:31:56 am »

They just have to be 'beast like', as in something like an "Owl Fiend" or "Squirrel Demon" etc.  Dinosaur-like ones also work pretty well, generally.

There's no need to mod anything, as I mentioned, it's all default raws, and I've completed this challenge myself in vanilla DF. 
It's entirely possible, and there is at least one (and likely more) edible clown in this world/challenge.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:35:18 am by vjek »

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 04:20:28 pm »

Count me in! This will be quite a challenge for me, as I normally play to optimize my industries, hitting candy a few years in and carefully mining it so as not to breach the circus. I've been hoping to expand my skills and try different playstyles, so this should be good for me.

I'll try to get the save working tonight, and let y'all know how it goes tomorrow :)
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 01:13:06 pm »

I don't plan to try this one, but would the competitors be allowed to update to 0.42.05 or later?  That would be significant, for the fix to sparring, if nothing else.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 03:00:24 pm »

I'd rather not.  Of course, there's nothing stopping someone from trying it, but I have no idea if this save will work in 0.42.05, and/or what the possible ramifications might be regarding the goal, the dead civ, migrants, caravans, etc.  0.42.04 was released on December 26, so being less than a month old, I felt it was 'new enough' for such a challenge.

If it helps, a military is not required to complete this challenge.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 11:13:14 am »

Just a reminder, less than a week remains to participate.  Show the world your mastery of DF today!  :o

(I won't bump the thread again, I promise)  :-X

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 11:33:07 am »

Like I said, I'm not dwarfy enough for this, but... I guess the route I would try, if I were going to try, would be to dig down to the magma sea, to find the adamantine.  Then smooth/fortify likely spots in the adamantine to find the 2x2 Fun Shaft.  Once its location is known, build a 1xLong tunnel with upright spears, with drawbridges at both ends, and probably at a few spots along one side.  Build a butcher shop and kitchen near one or more of those entrances.  Link the drawbridges to separate levers.  Link the upright spears all to a single lever.  Add a bait animal at the far end (from the clowns' point of view), add a sacrificial miner, seal him in, and have him complete the connection to the Fun Shaft.  Once some meaty clowns are in the tunnel, going for the bait animal, seal the drawbridge behind them, and start the spears a-poking.  Repeat until everything is dead.  Open up the nearest side entrance, butcher, cook.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 11:44:29 am »

i have a question
i thought all demons have the [can_learn] tag and as such cant be butchered by dwarves due to the eating of sentients being forbidden
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 12:05:04 pm »

Like I said, I'm not dwarfy enough for this, but... I guess the route I would try, if I were going to try, would be to dig down to the magma sea, to find the adamantine.  Then smooth/fortify likely spots in the adamantine to find the 2x2 Fun Shaft.  Once its location is known, build a 1xLong tunnel with upright spears, with drawbridges at both ends, and probably at a few spots along one side.  Build a butcher shop and kitchen near one or more of those entrances.  Link the drawbridges to separate levers.  Link the upright spears all to a single lever.  Add a bait animal at the far end (from the clowns' point of view), add a sacrificial miner, seal him in, and have him complete the connection to the Fun Shaft.  Once some meaty clowns are in the tunnel, going for the bait animal, seal the drawbridge behind them, and start the spears a-poking.  Repeat until everything is dead.  Open up the nearest side entrance, butcher, cook.

I'd recommend adding a way to flood the tunnel, to remove any syndrome-causing contaminents.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 12:06:59 pm »

i have a question
i thought all demons have the [can_learn] tag and as such cant be butchered by dwarves due to the eating of sentients being forbidden
Not all.  As I mention above, for testing purposes, to ensure it could be done, I've completed this challenge myself in vanilla DF.  Some clowns are more humanoid, some are more beast-like.  But in this challenge, you can make a clown stew, for certain.  8)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:09:03 pm by vjek »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 01:52:56 pm »

@greycat: My standard tactic is to use menacing spike traps on repeat, but since it's a matter of reaching the finish line first I'd use a cave-in.
Also, the allowed use of DFHack reveal and infinite save scumming means I'd first look, then dig, then try, and then restart from scratch after sorting out exactly how to do it.
Since time competitions isn't my kind of thing I'll pass on this challenge, though.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 03:46:03 pm »

How do you retrieve the corpses for butchering after a cave-in?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 03:49:45 pm »

How do you retrieve the corpses for butchering after a cave-in?
same as any normal corpse, its a cave in not atom smashing
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/
Pages: [1] 2