Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Black Desert, the new Korean Grindfest 9000  (Read 29329 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Black Desert, the new Korean Grindfest 9000
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:54:58 am »

Announcing the new (to US and EU) Korean MMO that will take up ALL YOUR TIME:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No, wait, sorry, wrong one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Black Desert Online
https://www.blackdesertonline.com/

Recently mentioned to me by a friend, I immediately came here and wondered if we had a discussion about this wonderful looking Korean MMO going, lo and behold, we did not, so here it is.

Black Desert Online is Daum Games Europe's attempt to make ArcheAge, but better. So much better, most notably by adopting a pay-once scheme as seen in Guild Wars 2 instead of an ingame time token, a la ArcheAge and EVE.

It's going to have everything from good old gathering and crafting to housing and trading, all the way to full-on guild wars. Literally, you can pay to go to war with another guild and go gank their shit, and you can buy protection for any non-officer in your guild so they cannot get ganked, up to 10 members, so your guild's moneymakers can stay protected while the rest of you act like Orks an' gather da boyz for fightin'.
And the housing? Actually in the world, not instanced or anything. Any building you see, can be taken and built. Holy shit.
Guilds can also take over entire NPC towns apparently. I'm already getting aspirations of world domination.
Pets. Need I say more? Includes mounts.
Combat's fluid, think Tera, but less about timing; more about comboing.

I watched some videos from people who have the Korean version and this one kinda grabs all the hype I'm feeling with an english accent and some annoying LP-isms such as photoshopped things but aside from that it's pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyFrRcdbYC8
*Hur hur, slutty japanese maids for your home, I'm sold*

*Edit- details details.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:18:41 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Black Desert, the new Korean Grindfest 9000
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 01:17:12 am »

So, with the CBT2 out, I got a taste of the game, and ITS GOOD.

It's got a lot of deep features as far as resource nodes and territory claiming goes, and the combat feels....strong? Mobs die easy, but I can see PvP turning into a real killfest.
It's grindy, of course, but leveling feels smooth as you're questing and stuff.
All the classes feel about equal, but the warrior feels more powerful because of its strong singletarget stunlocking capabilities. Alot of people like the Sorcerer tho.
As for any skimpyness in terms of character design, I don't really notice it, the game makes me pull up screens and stuff, so looking at my character became a secondary concern for me.

I created a placeholder guild named [Bangbus], and our goal is to become the next Goonswarm a la EVE, and take over most, if not all, of the BDO world.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 12:52:22 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 02:01:24 am »

I watched a few streams of Black Desert and it looked... surprisingly good (and this is coming from someone that hasn't liked an MMORPG since Shadowbane).

They appear to have a lot of the fundamentals on lock: The GvG endgame looks good on paper, the action-based battle system appears to be a lot more fluid than Blade & Soul or Tera, and the world looks fun to explore.

Not sure how it will play out in practice (it is a Korean MMO, after all, so the grind could be unbearable), but it looks like one to watch.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 02:04:10 am »

Black Desert seems to have some potential, posting to express interest.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 02:08:38 am »

I am starting to notice that Black Desert might be going for the horny community.

After testing out the character creator all women are incredibly young lusty busty babes with VERY intricate sliders and dials for every single part of their body.

While men are more of an afterthought with less then half the options women have.

HMMM I WONDER WHY!!!

Now I wouldn't care (other then the fact that it means my Wizard has to be old... and I wanted a Gentleman Wizard not Scottish Gandalf... not to mention the difficulty in getting the women to look womanly as you fight with the game) in fact I kind of don't...

But well... "Appeal to Sex" is a HUGE red flag that tells me they aren't confident in the actual gameplay.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 03:36:52 am »

Male characters don't have a bulge slider that can be cranked to 10? Fuck this game

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 03:56:48 am »

I am starting to notice that Black Desert might be going for the horny community.

After testing out the character creator all women are incredibly young lusty busty babes with VERY intricate sliders and dials for every single part of their body.

While men are more of an afterthought with less then half the options women have.

HMMM I WONDER WHY!!!

Now I wouldn't care (other then the fact that it means my Wizard has to be old... and I wanted a Gentleman Wizard not Scottish Gandalf... not to mention the difficulty in getting the women to look womanly as you fight with the game) in fact I kind of don't...

But well... "Appeal to Sex" is a HUGE red flag that tells me they aren't confident in the actual gameplay.

You could say the same with Phantasy Star Online 2, really.

There's a reason why it's affectionately called "Phashion Star Online 2", or after a recent trend, "Phashion and Stones Online 2"
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 04:17:54 am »

Well, most Korean MMOs have this type of design, even when they're pretty good.

What worries me is the GvG focus when combined with what could be a great grind. I know that's what I didn't like in Darkfall (though I don't think Black Desert is really pvp-loot oriented).

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 04:45:30 am »

I've heard it was originally pretty good early on in the Korean beta but constant whining and design changes have ruined everything that was good about the game.

Even the fanboys are a bit leery of playing it now.

What a shame, I had high hopes. MMOs always dash them, though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 04:57:45 am »

Male characters don't have a bulge slider that can be cranked to 10? Fuck this game

They don't have indepth hair alterations. They don't have complete face model adjustments. They are missing some of the makeup.

Add in that MOST classes are female only (though from what I am told plenty of them are planned to be both genders eventually) and the fact that women are 16 year old girls...

Or I'll put it this way.

The character creator lets you create the exact person you want... If it is a woman.

Add in that all women are hyper-sexualized... and yeah.

In otherwords GOODNESS am I not pre-ordering this game if I can help it.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 01:24:02 pm »

I've heard it was originally pretty good early on in the Korean beta but constant whining and design changes have ruined everything that was good about the game.

Even the fanboys are a bit leery of playing it now.

What a shame, I had high hopes. MMOs always dash them, though.

I'm of a similar opinion as far as my skepticism of the dumbing down of the hardcore goes (I want to be ganked in the open world and have to fight for my right to party! I loved that kinda shit in EVE! But there should be safe zones, and I think there are in BD) but if the devs listen to the criticisms and fix the issues raised in that one article posted (the whole healpot spam and a slightly looser market and tightening up of the karma pvp system are my personal biggest issues) and I hear about it during the next beta test, I will empty my wallet at my monitor and celebrate.
I'm cautiously optimistic, but am prepared for the worst: we do have 2 beta tests before release, so things still have the potential to get better. Or worse.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 09:36:36 pm »

All the gameplay footage I've seen has suggested the following:

1: The art style is definitely Korean, and turns me off. I figure some Koreans are probably disgusted by American art conventions in American-made games, too. I just really dislike it, and after playing a bunch of Korean MMOs I've had enough experience with it that I'm just done.
2: The animations are sometimes very stilted and weird. Like they're posing action figures instead of moving people. And yes, a TON of games get this right, so it's not an unreasonable expectation.
3: The player housing is instanced inside housing-buildings, like Anarchy Online. That is, when you walk up to a building that can be a player house, you choose which interior to explore. There's a significant load period as the interior is populated with the player's decorations. This means you can't be the guy who owns a house and have a pie-throwing feud with the neighbor who lives in the house across the street. Instead six dozen people live in your house but in different dimensions or something.
4: All the player houses I've seen have been crammed with crap so they all look like hoarders. Don't worry about dying in the dungeon, they'll probably be discovered crushed under a pile of damp newspapers. I think this may be a player behavior though; I remember UO houses frequently looking like packrat nests.
5: Ugly sexism. The ladies are all teenagers in short puffy skirts, people can buy scantily clad slave-maid NPCs for their houses, etc. Few customization options for males but there's probably like 8 nipple sliders for females. I don't care that I'm exaggerating, I'm trying to convey the overall impression I get.
6: Low difficulty. Who are they catering to?
7: The grind! Again, one could argue that all MMOs have a grind, but many have good ways to conceal it, make it entertaining, give you options on how you do it, or minimize the headaches. Generally if the gameplay is super fun you won't notice the grind as much. That's not the case here.
8: Sure you can auto-path to the next town. But why is that an option? They saw a problem called "walking in this game is boring" and their answer was to still make you do it but let you macro it and go make a sandwich.
9: Poor polish. For example, when you're auto-walking along a road, you're following the same invisible path everyone else is. Which means you all run straight into each other and phase through like everyone's a ghost.

SO basically, they reneged on every promise I can find and they would need to change many fundamental parts of the game in order for me to consider it worth downloading and playing for free. I'd play it if they paid me $20 an hour but I might look for other work on my breaks.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 11:57:24 pm »

Since all the haters are being vocal here, I feel the need to speak up as well.

I strongly appreciate Korean stylings and the prevalent use of sexual themes used throughout this game. I enjoy these things personally, but also acknowledge them as prudent design choices based on statistical reports of the common interests of peoples who frequently play video games.

I also feel like it unreasonable to assume that these aspects are indicative of any deficiency in other areas of the game. But then, I'm a hopeless optimist.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 08:15:59 pm »

5: Ugly sexism. The ladies are all teenagers in short puffy skirts, people can buy scantily clad slave-maid NPCs for their houses, etc. Few customization options for males but there's probably like 8 nipple sliders for females. I don't care that I'm exaggerating, I'm trying to convey the overall impression I get.
Welcome to pretty much every MMO ever.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a good thing, and I'm not saying you're wrong for disliking it... but I am saying that you're probably gonna have to get used to it, because it's everywhere.

Personally, I don't approve of sexism in the slightest, but ridiculous attire in a video game... eh. Being the crude, imperfect human male I am, I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I didn't appreciate the skimpy outfits at least a little bit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 09:24:38 pm »

Welcome to pretty much every MMO ever.

It actually isn't as common as you think if you leave "bad MMOs" that sell themselves with sex.

It is one of those cases where there are more bad MMOs out there then good ones... but all the good ones don't seem to share this quality.

So no, you don't have to get used to it because luckily for everyone with taste, the BEST "Sexy" MMO is still only average and oddly enough takes itself seriously at the halfway mark... O_o

---

But really these are just warning signs not a prescription bottle.

For all we know Black Desert is the Killakill of MMOs. Well if we ignore the info we get from people who already played (which is mostly that this anime is just kind of typical)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:27:44 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12