Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Life and Suffering of Sir Brante - Long Die the Gloomy Man  (Read 1178 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Life and Suffering of Sir Brante - Long Die the Gloomy Man
« on: February 27, 2021, 04:39:02 am »

Recently stumbled upon this likely wonderful text game. So it's like Long Live the Queen but
It's monochrome late medieval instead of pinky anime medieval...
And there is vastly more text...
And it is a lot longer in general...
And there is a grand total of six skills...
And you up them by doing sort of relevant actions...
And you got four lives...
And all most important events for current chapter and their skill requirements are always visible...
As are relations...
Totally diffirent game really.  :P

The bad - it is not out yet, release date is March 4. The great - there is an about 4 hours long demo that contains first two chapters out of five, and it is really damn great. Saves will most likely go over to full game, so you can play it now and get prematurely excited.  :P As it happens, first two chapters are the shortest. As there will be at least 3 distinctive paths and they got to make use of all "Tom will remember this", this still has potential to turn out as a story trainwreck. I fear that main character will become a Mary Sue that will govern over fates of kingdoms, religions and Ye Gads for no proper reason. He is not at all like this in demo (bar just maybe scene in church), but steam page does not look reassuring.

Also, almost everyone got four lives there, not just main character. To mitigate silly spawnkilling, Very Important Pork and those sentenced to death got just one.

Ah yes, steam page.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 04:43:34 am by MCreeper »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Life and Suffering of Sir Brante - Long Die the Gloomy Man
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 05:43:19 am »

I'm a bit worried about this:
"text-based child abuse"

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 06:23:50 am »

I'm a bit worried about this:
"text-based child abuse"
I assume that refers to a scene where half-crazy grandpa burns main character's toy soldiers (too noble for you!) and crushes his head with a stick when main character optionally hits him. And maybe mother almost killing her cries-too-loudly youngest son. And that's probably it, at least in demo.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 10:08:42 am »

Looks very interesting, ptw and I wishlisted it. Thanks for posting about it

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 12:50:46 pm »

It's out. I'll be listening to soundtrack now.
EDIT: Eh. 17 tracks, nothing memorable except "Brante family" and "A Sword and a Whip".  ::) Second one reminds of Parhologic. And first two chapters are ordinary lenght, it is just fourth that is longer than others.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 01:32:44 pm by MCreeper »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 02:42:41 pm »

PTW

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 09:49:03 am »

Finished the game (as a boring and straightforward rabble rouser) with a brief sense of what a fuck. Game is great, but fifth chapter is pretty much short and lackluster railroad to equally lackluster pick-your-ending that is maybe based on ending of chapter 4. And is pretty nonsensical. I, for one, had a choice of "defeat the legion for now", "die in the futile battle against legion" and "run for your life".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And then whatever you pick happens exactly, with no further input or checks. Come on now.  ::)

Before that, as i said, it's great. And of course i can't make a proper writeup from my memory.  ::)

[Some more stuff probably not impending, would be anyone so gracious as to write a decent review instead of me?]
EDIT: Oi, steam forums are raging about noble mc dying in every swordfight no matter the sword skill. So this part is dumb too.  ::) Oi, and you can end up with actualrailroad at chapter 5 if you are unlucky. Eh, no miracles there. Was it inevitable? Y\y.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:01:40 am by MCreeper »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 02:33:57 am »

I'd recommend playing Ironman and Consequences off... and don't read the unlockable events at the start of each chapter, as it'll tip you off on possible major events in each chapter and how to activate them.

I went down the theology route, and, uh... somethingeverything kind of went horribly wrong.   :o

I didn't find A5 feeling quite as railroad-y as prior posts made it sound; it was FAR better than "We. The Revolution", at any rate. The progression of things felt appropriate to me; I developed allies and enemies based on the things I did throughout the game. Though if you want any semblance of a good ending on the revolution side, you have to...

Anyhow... my ending was basically:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 02:41:32 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-