Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Black Desert, the new Korean Grindfest 9000  (Read 29613 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Black Desert, the new Korean Grindfest 9000
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 12:04:29 am »

"bad MMOs" that sell themselves with sex.

You know, not everything is about sales figures. Video games are a form of art. And the best art is that which is not made thinking about the audience, but rather about the artist's own feelings and interests. I'm not informed enough to say what motivated the development of Black Desert, but I like to at least consider the possibility that it is what it is because this is what the developers wanted to create.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 10:42:49 am »

Character Creator from the East: Paving the way to nextgen physics for everyone, not just pre-created characters.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 12:06:17 pm »

Character Creator from the East: Paving the way to nextgen physics for everyone, not just pre-created characters.

I have to admit, trying to make a photo-realistic Gandalf wizard is kinda fun in the character creator.
And while I hate overly skimpy outfits in MMOs myself, I usually end up not caring and focusing on combat and exploration. Alot of people make the joke about making female characters so you don't have to stare at men's asses all day, but I find myself rarely even looking at my characters outside of the equip screens. My eyes are usually glued to my skillbars, my health and the enemies health. And supposedly this game includes a onscreen key-press widget that shows you what keys you're pressing so you can match it against key combos to perform......combos. So yeah, I think ascetics are the last thing I'm worried about with this game, I'm kinda all about gameplay on this one. And a combo of Tera, Blade and Soul and the better parts of ArcheAge rolled into one action-rpg MMO? I'm willing to let skimpy outfits slide IF they find the issues mentioned earlier in the beta tests and fix/tweak them.
This game has quite a bit of potential and I don't wanna see it fall into the same old rut alot of other MMOs that had potential fall into and fail. My hopes are high and my hype is in check and I'm ready to cry if it ends up worse then it was in Korea.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 12:49:07 pm »

Bumping cuz Beta release.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 01:23:11 pm »

I'll ptw this for later.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 03:00:38 pm »

I got it, and so far having fun despite having been burned out on MMORPGs many times over. It has just enough of Eve to keep me engaged for now.

So, are we on a server?
I got nothing

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 03:04:50 pm »

*notices that one thread says that it's Japanese, and the other says that it's Korean*
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 03:07:33 pm »

Its korean as far as I know, but asia-runes can look pretty similar.

Also hadn't noticed we have two threads for it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 03:07:48 pm »

There is another thread.  Err... nothing official I guess, generally usually not enough of us to sustain long-term anyways...  I'm hanging around the unofficial RP server, Orwen - Calpheon 2.

Technically, Orwen is the server, Calpheon 2 is a 'channel'.  You can freely switch between channels under a server, as far as I can tell.  Maybe there is a 10 minute wait time for switching or something.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 03:29:31 pm »

Its a great game at a glance and puts all other MMMMMMMMOs to shame with its attention to detail, but it has some very very odd design choices when it comes to the non combatant playstyle.....

Fishing renders ALL other crafting/trading obsolete you can make more in 10 mins of fishing then you can in hours(literally) crafting. The node/worker system its such a cool idea yet it just feels redundant if you try and play it as a trader which is all i wanted to do as it looked cool riding around on a horse and cart an example of a trade type is below >

Worker works on a farm picking Vegetables >>> Vegetables then get processed at a workshop into crates to trade >>> crates you load onto wagons to then trade accross the map ( on an expensive cart that can die in a single hit from bandits ).... sounds feesable right ?

The above after spending a few RL hours waiting for the stuff to be done nets you maybe 1k for each crate when fishing for the same time investment could make you millions all the while only having to press space (even has an AFK fishing mode!) AND has no risk whatsoever you can even fill your inv with fish and has no weight restrictions unlike what trade goods have.

Ive been told I am playing the game wrong yet why include a workshop industry that creates a product when that product is worthless.... seems to me they have totally missed the point when it comes to trading.

I just dont get why fishing is soo insanly OPd as a profession and seems to be the core of the game as a non-cambatant.

Also I am sure the developers are in coohoots with energy suppliers as alot of the actions require you to actually be in the game and does not carry on when offline such as workers crafting/gathering etc and then that brings me onto AFK fishers.... The shore line is crammed with them just parked AFK fishing so they are literally just have a PC turned on and left AFK for hours upon hours, usually this would be deemed exploiting or cheating but this game has a mode just for that and even throws away useless stuff for you so you dont fill up with crap!

Surley if they wanted ppl to be able to min/max there RL time with ingame time then allow these things to happen when offline saving on Energy bills and server slots...literally a good 40/50% of server population atm are just afk fisherman.

Hmmm this post has turned into a bit of a rant sorry, it is actually a great game and is breathtaking at how beautiful it looks.
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 03:46:54 pm »

If only you could afk macro your real life job, right?

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2016, 11:43:27 am »

Well, not sure which thread to post in now, but this is the latest.

I'm really liking this game.  There is a heck of a lot to do outside of the typical murder-death-kill treadmill.  There doesn't seem to be a level minimum on gear either... but I havn't delved into the market for that stuff yet.  Reddit post with people saying that you can get and wear end game gear as early as you can afford it.  Implying that the first half of the game ain't a useless treadmill like the typical MMO.

The combat in itself is definitely different from the typical tab-targeting / highlight and hit... which is pretty damn refreshing.  You can think of attacking/evading attacks as similar to an action-y game like Dynasty Warriors or Dark Souls.  Enemy swings and you move/evade out of the way, they miss. 
Rather then MMO fashion, where enemy has single target attack ready, they come into range and activate attack, you move out of the attack range before the animation actually hits, you get hit anyways.

Alts:
1. Max cap on Energy is shared between all characters, meaning if you've played only one character and have 100 Energy and start an alt, the alt will have 100 Energy capacity too.  And the Alt can also earn Energy capacity on top of that too.  Each character's Energy use is their own, not shared.
2. Its the same with Contribution points, which is like influence you spend to open up businesses/political ventures or even to borrow stuff/equipment.  Doing quests gives exp for the Contribution point, so all alts can contribute to that.  Contribution use is shared, but the benefits other then borrowed stuff/equipment are shared too.
3. 'Knowledge', a nebulous term, but its... map data, NPC data, enemy monster data and probably some other sort of data.  That is shared between all characters.

Witch, level 15.  Shank is still OP, but there are more things that survive one to the face now.  Also I learned that it is kind of a cone attack and I can shank 2 guys at the same time if they line up well enough.
Getting into hostile territory with lots of ranged enemies is very dangerous... also, fighting fast-beefy things in small areas is not recommended.

EDIT: Oh right, I'm gonna try to build a huge beer industry.  Mostly to feed my own workers, but I'll probably have an excess to sell.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 12:00:53 pm by Zangi »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 12:50:58 pm »

first half of the game ain't a useless treadmill like the typical MMO.

answer, early-to-midgame PVP

of course both statements are ignoring the fact that PVE can be enjoyable if you do it with friends, or it's a difficult encounter, or if you're just into that kind of thing
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 01:04:09 pm »

Meh, I don't really care all that much for competitive PvP things to begin with.  I tend to be satisfied with 'I survived', 'I didn't do the worst', or 'I actually contributed'.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 01:31:24 pm »

There doesn't seem to be a level minimum on gear either... but I havn't delved into the market for that stuff yet.  Reddit post with people saying that you can get and wear end game gear as early as you can afford it.  Implying that the first half of the game ain't a useless treadmill like the typical MMO.

Yeah, you can wear anything as soon as level 8 or so. The way I did it was that early on I tried out different gear until I found a combination of sets that I liked for my class, now I keep upgrading it instead of getting new stuff all the time and then discarding it 2 levels later like I'd do in most other games.

I think thats a pretty good system.

of course both statements are ignoring the fact that PVE can be enjoyable if you do it with friends, or it's a difficult encounter, or if you're just into that kind of thing

I actually like the PvE in BDO.
Its fast and flashy enough to be fun and while enemies are predictable and dumb they are also strong enough that you can't brain-afk while grinding. Taking more hits then you absolutely have to will kill you pretty fast, at least if you stick to mobs of your own level. That is helping greatly to keep the grind from getting boring.

It is kinda ironic that a game which is focused on PvP and a sandboxy crafting/trading system has PvE combat that is much better and more fun then the PvE we get in almost all PvE focused MMOs. The only action MMO that I can remember to be as good was Vindictus.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:35:08 pm by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12