Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Black Desert, the new Korean Grindfest 9000  (Read 29610 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Desert, the new Korean Grindfest 9000
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 02:15:44 pm »

[I guess we're moving to this thread now?]

Crafting is even more ridiculous than I first thought.

I'm trying to build a raft. A raft has 28 components - 25 logs and 3 blackstone powder. Apparently, a worker needs to work on each component of the object to complete. This means, totaled, 28 tasks. Even my "skilled" worker takes 20 minutes for each task. My unskilled and/or naive workers take 30 minutes per task.

At best, 9 real time hours to build a raft. 14 if I used my slower ones. And then cost in items to restore their stamina afterward (1000 silver per 2 stamina [beer], 6700 silver per 5 stamina [fish fillet chip]). For a freaking raft. I don't know if there are any further ships available, but the ferry that is also available to build from this shop has 60 components. 20 real-time hours. At least the workers continue to work while offline but... that's a huge cost for even a low end vehicle. And vehicles in this game have "lifetimes" independent of their health bar that cannot be repaired, so they eventually degrade and have to replaced (which can be a good thing for the economy).

I imagine wagons are similarly ridiculous since they definitely have components parts. Not sure if armor/weapons have components.

Edit: Sorry, not necessarily 9 hours, because you can have workers work concurrently on the same item (even the same components). So I have 5 workers who can all have work on the raft parts, taking instead approximately 2.8 hours total (less than that because I averaged the math as 5 components every 30 minutes, where as the actual average is slightly lower due to the skilled worker). Still expensive in terms of worker stamina.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 02:20:45 pm by Niveras »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »

From what I'd heard of boats (which is all of one video so far), for thecost its likely more worth it to just skip to a fishing boat over a raft if you really wanted a boat.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2016, 02:50:16 pm »

Meh, I don't see craft times as a problem.  You don't actually have to personally oversee the construction once you set the workers up to do it.  And it means if you want to flood the market, you actually have to really invest a significant number of workers/contribution points into it.  Which means no single player can dominate all the markets, but maybe they can take a significant chunk of business from a single market or two.

Plus, with the items like boats/wagons degrading from use, there will always be at least some demand, instead of almost everyone eventually getting the best one and it becomes a very niche craft trade cause only new players will ever need a new boat/wagon/thing.  (Alts share the Donkey/Horse in stables, I'm assuming it'll be the same for Wagons and Boats.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2016, 03:01:55 pm »

[I guess we're moving to this thread now?]

Crafting is even more ridiculous than I first thought.

I'm trying to build a raft. A raft has 28 components - 25 logs and 3 blackstone powder. Apparently, a worker needs to work on each component of the object to complete. This means, totaled, 28 tasks. Even my "skilled" worker takes 20 minutes for each task. My unskilled and/or naive workers take 30 minutes per task.

At best, 9 real time hours to build a raft. 14 if I used my slower ones. And then cost in items to restore their stamina afterward (1000 silver per 2 stamina [beer], 6700 silver per 5 stamina [fish fillet chip]). For a freaking raft. I don't know if there are any further ships available, but the ferry that is also available to build from this shop has 60 components. 20 real-time hours. At least the workers continue to work while offline but... that's a huge cost for even a low end vehicle. And vehicles in this game have "lifetimes" independent of their health bar that cannot be repaired, so they eventually degrade and have to replaced (which can be a good thing for the economy).

I imagine wagons are similarly ridiculous since they definitely have components parts. Not sure if armor/weapons have components.

Edit: Sorry, not necessarily 9 hours, because you can have workers work concurrently on the same item (even the same components). So I have 5 workers who can all have work on the raft parts, taking instead approximately 2.8 hours total (less than that because I averaged the math as 5 components every 30 minutes, where as the actual average is slightly lower due to the skilled worker). Still expensive in terms of worker stamina.

I built a rowboat yesterday and my impressions were rather the opposite.

It took some time to figure out how to setup my industry (shipyard, refinery, wood workbench, lodging, hiring workers, connecting nodes), but once I got it up and running things were so streamlined I couldn't believe it. You automate the system, go to bed, then check in on things in the morning. If you want to speed things up you can gather/process materials yourself, or buy some from the marketplace. Whether you're into grinding, management sims, or something in-between, it's easy to find a pace that feels right. Now I'm using the gatherers/wood workbench workers to make solid money by sending plywood to the market.

Rather than ridiculous, I found it to be the easiest way I've ever seen in an MMO to craft things that really mattered.

(Also, I think you're forgetting that for many industries you're setting up a repeatable production line that can be used to create a passive income for your character... If you want a boat now, you can always buy it on the marketplace; though they tend to get snatched up quickly)
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2016, 11:31:09 pm »

Unlock Meteor and Fireball Explosion on Witch.  Feel like that mage in KonoSuba.  Except also stabby.

Shanked that 3rd boss good.  First impression of 3rd Boss: Flat on my back.
I'm really liking the combat.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:10:39 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2016, 02:41:30 pm »

I like this so far.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2016, 04:18:51 pm »

I'm mildly interested in this.  If anyone has a available guest pass they are willing to give me I would appreciate it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2016, 07:23:54 pm »

Been playing about a week now, and absolutely love this game.

Too many of the other MMO's I've tried in recent years, leveling and questing felt like a tedious chore with unsatisfying rewards. In BDO, almost every quest rewards precious contribution xp, and usually involve a bit of fun combat and exploration as well. Leveling is not a chore, but an adventure, and I love it.

That being said, the interface can feel a bit clunky at times. Movement controls change unintuitively when walking, sprinting, or pathing. Also my valky seems to shift out of her defensive stance for no reason and with no visual queues, which is very frustrating. The combat skill tooltips are often misleading, causing me to invest precious combat points into skills that don't work the way I expected. Every search box seems to be case sensitive, and does not work with partial-word searches. Also, finding specific NPC's is often far too difficult, despite there being a NPC-search funtion >_<

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2016, 01:33:08 pm »

Does the mega fishing node thing trivialize the silver economy?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 01:45:16 pm »

If you're talking about velia's dock the answer would be no, the place is exhausted all the time, which slows down all the fishing in the area.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2016, 02:01:59 pm »

Mega Fishing?  Err... Not sure what you mean, but... a lot of people fish and they very commonly exhaust the fish supply at the convenient locations. 
At the starting region / 1-20 area, most fish are worth 1k-3k each.  You'll stop fishing when your inventory is filled or when the fishing rod breaks.  Auto-fishing is time to find fish(which is dependent on the fish supply in the area)+3 minutes.
It is a nice source of passive / leave the game on while you do other stuff income.  But, other things that you could possibly want to buy are worth a heck of a lot more and you can't reasonably do-everything-yourself.  That costs time, effort and energy.

My preferred fishing area is the Olvia Coast node...  usually Average-Abundant.
Everything will eventually break.  So the economy will continue to be a thing, as far as I see it. (Weapons/armor can be repaired though.)

I'm currently trying to set-up a wagon making industry...  its taking a lot of time, mostly cause I need more of everything.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2016, 03:18:35 pm »

The "mega fishing" probably refers to a specific area where you can catch very high quality fish with high frequency. Like, even at beginner skill, you'll be easily catching gold fish (or whatever tier is worth 20k silver) more than 0% of the time. You'll still catch the lower tiers but your results will be probably 99% actual fish (or maybe silver keys) and virtually no junk like seaweed and fish bones. You'll know you're at one if you see lots and lots of people fishing at the same, otherwise inconvenient, location.

The most recent one (I'm not sure how often they change) was just off the beach from the Coastal Cave. Several dozen people (regardless of shard) on their boats, forming basically an atoll from Waterworld, fishing in the same spot.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2016, 05:51:55 pm »

Any ideas about hardware requirements?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2016, 06:34:56 pm »

Looking at this game, kinda drawing me in but I'll wait for a month or two to see if it devolves into another pay-to-win shit. I love these games where your just not a murder hobo and going out to kill shit.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2016, 01:21:32 pm »

It's a pretty rad game, I just got a female horse from breeding, which has to be levelled, bred again with the same high tier male horse, and then I will smash the original male and female together, destroying them and making another horse from their pulpy remains
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12