Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Individual Merchants as Fortress Visitors  (Read 911 times)

Dr. Sazar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mortiest Morty
    • View Profile
Individual Merchants as Fortress Visitors
« on: January 25, 2016, 07:24:07 pm »

I think it would be pretty cool if individual, roaming merchants could show up like the poets and soldiers do. It would be pretty useful since only, at most, 3 civs can trade every season or so. It would also add a source of random and diverse items/materials, unlike the civs, who's items are dependent on their location.

I think it will have to have certain conditions for showing up, so small island fortresses will not get them. Maybe they would be a product of the civilization and have some sort of radius.

Although, seizing the goods will have no consequences, unless they turn hostile if this is done.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Merchants as Fortress Visitors
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:15:04 am »

Well there could be trade leagues, acting completely independent of entities. If you seize to many goods of free merchants, they won't show up anymore and they can send a squad to seize goods themselves. (Kinda like a goblin siege, only that they leave once they have accumulated enough wealth. This could turn into an interesting mechanic as certain trade leagues and barbarian entities could begin using sieges as a way to sustain their population.

madpraxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:32:49 pm »

Not sure if you guys remember, but back in the days of dorf economy there were stores. Stores would would work perfectly for this, at least once the economy comes back. Just add an option for 'market stall(s)' to the store interface. Viola! Magic! We now have a place for independent merchants to set up.
Now, me, I highly endorse the idea of independent merchants. The ability to trade on a smaller scale with them, and let your dwarves trade with their coins that don't exist yet again, would be very delightful.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 11:17:56 pm »

Not sure if you guys remember, but back in the days of dorf economy there were stores. Stores would would work perfectly for this, at least once the economy comes back. Just add an option for 'market stall(s)' to the store interface. Viola! Magic! We now have a place for independent merchants to set up.
Now, me, I highly endorse the idea of independent merchants. The ability to trade on a smaller scale with them, and let your dwarves trade with their coins that don't exist yet again, would be very delightful.

Yeah... but the coin system is bunk.  If your site doesn't have any coin-grade metals (copper, silver, and gold), you can't make currency.  If you have fat gold veins, you can just set the forges on repeat and buy the world. 

But to the OP, I like the idea if for no other reason than it brings in more variety.  Instead of just trading with whatever the -closet- civ site of each race has, you can get peddlars from all sites within range.  There could even be independent merchant guilds that focus on specific item categories, and can bring higher volumes and even more diversity for the goods they specialize in.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 08:49:06 am »

Yeah... but the coin system is bunk.  If your site doesn't have any coin-grade metals (copper, silver, and gold), you can't make currency.
Import metals/coins. You do have other industries that can support your economy, you know.

If you have fat gold veins, you can just set the forges on repeat and buy the world.
Supply/Demand would fix this, and if you really were on a fat gold vein, you must have turned Minerals to High in worldgen, so everybody would have lots of gold, so platinum would be the new gold, or whatever. Or you can't just mint your own coins, you need approval from the Mountainhome.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 06:18:10 pm »

and if you really were on a fat gold vein, you must have turned Minerals to High in worldgen,
You can definitely have fat gold veins regardless of mineral scarcity levels. It's kind of ridiculous to suggest that it's necessary. Anyway, it's fitting to the game that lots of gold is good for a fortress. You're dwarves, the whole thing they're known for is mining things. If you can find a site with gold it's fitting that it should be enough to base a fortress around.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 09:14:31 pm »

Id definitely buy a tame half dead and mangled tame beak dog on the sly for a bargain price along with some sweet loincloths if a goblin merchant offered it me for some lightweight but expensive gems/finished goods in return. Even if before offering a slick deal to change his tune they drowned half my tavern in spit before becoming euphoric and friendly (naturally high liar stats go figure).

I wouldn't mind even offering them long term tavern room if it meant they would go off and come back again with as many knick knacks and half dead unwanted animals (evil animals are not good for much more than regulated bushmeat so low quality half dead is better than nothing) they can stuff into his long coat and heavy backpack and then returns with their outlaw buddies to rob me blind after stealing some supplies on the way out not locked behind doors (thinking we're easy/infuriating them). (punishment, hammering/seizing/imprisonment hah!)

Rogue merchants, outlaws, securer of goods you can't find on the caravans, occasionally off on adventures and the kind of people to twiddle their evil little non dwarf mustaches and over-price things you know to be false, the kind of people you go into a secluded alley to talk to over shady deals.

madpraxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 11:53:05 pm »

That brings up something that I wish to add to the whole store revival project as a venue for smaller/independent traders.
Example: I have a fortress of 150 dwarfs. 20 of these dwarfs would really really like some obsidian jewelry. Me, being the horrible overlord I am don't have any production orders for rock crafts - obsidian, and don't plan on making any since I'm a horrible overlord and don't notice this. Now, unhappy with the lack of obsidian crowns and the inability to jam 30 obsidian earrings in each ear,  they swing by the market, 'Heyo Jimbobrandomtravelling McMerchant, do you have any obsidian crowns or earings?'.

Why, no, sorry, I don't. I have some of these other things though. Ah, but what happens is the travelling merchant makes a note, 'I had a demand for obsidian jewelry at outpost Flopping Deepshaft. So, the merchant wanders off to the world map, wanders around, visits world sites, does some trading with an eye at hopefully procuring some of the things on the wants list that has built up during the stay at your fort, and, fates willing, survives the hordes of goblins to make it back eventually to your fort with a general selection of items and (hopefully for the merchant) a more specific selection of things that where asked about.

This whole idea posits the ability to coherently manage world tasks with an entity, in this case a merchant (solo or caravan). Eh, something for the future.

And coins don't have to be metal. Let alone precious metal. Stone. Wood. Shells have been in vogue at times too. 'Currency' is a rather wobbly group consensus, eh ;)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 12:40:33 pm »

and if you really were on a fat gold vein, you must have turned Minerals to High in worldgen,
You can definitely have fat gold veins regardless of mineral scarcity levels. It's kind of ridiculous to suggest that it's necessary. Anyway, it's fitting to the game that lots of gold is good for a fortress. You're dwarves, the whole thing they're known for is mining things. If you can find a site with gold it's fitting that it should be enough to base a fortress around.
Unless I have been very lucky gold seems common enough to make me wonder over it's value. It's something I have seen complaints about more widely.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands