Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Automatic visitor petition policy  (Read 619 times)

Bropocalypse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Automatic visitor petition policy
« on: January 26, 2016, 04:36:36 pm »

In fortress mode, I find the near-constant petitions by prospective long-term residents to be kind of annoying. I'd like to be able to automatically deny them. Or at the very least, have such petitions cease if the fortress population cap is met.
One could expand this feature to automatically reject or accept certain types of residency petitions, too. However, I'd be satisfied with simply being able to decide when I have enough humans hanging around my fort without having to deal with the constant blink of the petitions notification.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic visitor petition policy
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 11:25:04 pm »

I find it hilarious that I can exceed the 200 pop cap limit with spoony bards, though! I get around the clothing issues of humans by making them all join military squads.  Most just wind up as soldiers anyway. 

However, we've (on the forums) long asked for a new noble position called "immigration officer."  We could use this noble to set population limits, deny migrants (NO YOU AND YOUR TEN WORTHLESS KIDS CAN'T STAY HERE, YOU DIRTY FISH CLEANER!), and even try to discourage certain professions from arriving.  We live in the middle of a barren desert.  The only water is our cistern 10 dwarves died trying to secure from the monster-infested caverns.  No you can't fish there.  You can't fish anywhere.  How many times must I tell these people THERE ARE NO FISH IN THE DESERT! Stop migrating here if you want to fish! >.< 

The immigration officer/customs man would also be the go-to guy for petition settings.  Auto block by race, profession, or maybe numbers (no more than 1 long term resident per 10 dwarves).  Or you could just set it to "accept everyone" like I like to.  Currently, petitions are actual meetings with your leader (mayor, noble, expedition leader, whoever), so it could either be an expansion of his duties or only default to the leader position in the absence of an immigration officer.

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
  • Never had a glass industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:04:05 am »

Maybe this should be an outpost liason function?
Just like we order goods for the next caravan, why not order specific professions for the next migration wave? Then we get part what we asked for, part legendary fisherdwarves in a desert.

It makes actual sense. Why would someone decide to travel who-knows-where to join an outpost nobody heard about? Only beacause of ads and propaganda. "The fortress of Floorhollow needs glassmakers! Come for the work, stay for the glass ubertavern!". Glassmakers will be interested because there's work and fisherdwarfs have nothing better to do than go checkk out the ubertavern.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:05:36 am by Roofless »

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 09:56:00 am »

+1vote

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 11:52:08 am »