Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nudist Dwarf Fortress - Paradise, or Hell on Earth?  (Read 6372 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Nudist Dwarf Fortress - Paradise, or Hell on Earth?
« on: March 10, 2007, 03:02:00 pm »

My current fortress is full of nudists. Every one of my dwarves have had their clothing decay off their body, and they don't seem to mind! The benefits? No cluttered rooms or stockpiles! No clothing industry needed!

They had some initial bad thoughts while their clothing decayed, and a pretty bad one when it decayed off their body, but since then it has been all smiles in my fort. I made up for the initial bad thought with a really nice dining room, statue garden, and a few caged animals.

So far I haven't seen any downsides, and have noticed at least a few unexpected benefits. For instance, a fire man set one of my men on fire, and he survived! His clothing didn't cause him to burn up, nor would anyone else risk catching fire from picking up burning clothes if he had died. I assume that they will be less protected from monsters as well, but im not sure how much protection clothing offers anyway. My nude legendary carpenter still managed to massacre (and make a horrible mess in the hallway, limbs and guts and heads everywhere) an entire swarm of ratmen, at least 20, without a wound.

Now, im not sure if temperature might affect this or not, but im in a scorching climate. I haven't tried a nudist colony on a freezing area, so im not sure if clothing is necessary there or not.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Commoners

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nudist Dwarf Fortress - Paradise, or Hell on Earth?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 03:43:00 pm »

That's excellent.

I once had a dwarf who in the nude working at the magma smelter.

[ March 10, 2007: Message edited by: Commoners ]

Mind War

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 06:59:00 pm »

I have a hilarious story to tell about the whole nudist thing... (well i thought it was funny)

So one day in a remote fortress out in the middle of nowhere lived a small group of dwarves. (no one can recall the exact amount, but it is rumored that there where at least 30) Anyway in this fairly new fortress every dwarf man and women alike lived a fairly successful life. (in other words, i had plenty of food and supplies) So in my "well off" fortress there lived a carpenter, (a female carpenter) this carpenter all of a sudden had went into a few mood, and eventually took over the carpenter's workshop. By this time im thinking no big deal right... WRONG!!! After a season or two of not getting what she wanted, she FREAKED OUT!!!! SHE WENT BAZERK!!!! INSANE!!!! well, anyway, as I watched her run around, I started to notice that there were clothes on the ground, all over my fortress, and they seemed to be going in a relative line. So I investigated, and too make a long story even longer, I found the carpenter (who has long since calmed down) completely inventoryless. NO CLOTHES!!!! Running around the fortress naked. Not attempting to find more clothes. I mean I wasnt complaining, I like to watch naked, female carptenters run around after a long day at work. But it got old after 3 seasons!!!!! LITERALLY 3 SEASONS!! Well that's my story. I thought it was HILARIOUS!!!!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 07:18:00 pm »

Crazy and tantruming dwarves can do some funny things.

I've had tantruming dwarves throw clothing at others. I actually saw one mangle a dog's leg by throwing a spider silk glove at it.

I also once had a very rich dwarf go berserk when a creature fell into the chasm after it was stuck with some masterwork bolts. I think it had several stuck in it, so it triggered multiple defacements. The dwarf happened to be carrying a large pile of coins through the dining hall to his room when it happened (cancels store owned item, throwing tantrum). He then proceeded to throw money EVERYWHERE and utterly destroyed everyone else in the room. He killed 5 dwarves outright(including the hammerer who came to beat him), horribly maimed 12 of them (several were missing limbs or an eye), and slightly wounded several more. He also killed and wounded several dogs who happened to be passing by. In his thoughts it said that he "took joy in the slaughter" and "enjoyed throwing something." Finally he calmed down and the sherriff showed up and arrested him - he avoided the hammering by killing the hammerer, but had to spend alot of jail time. My dining room was littered with tons of single coins for years until he finally gathered them all up in his coffers.

He was also a "novice thrower" afterward, although I couldn't get him to use the power offensively. Too bad, money throwing seems more effective than crossbows.

[ March 11, 2007: Message edited by: Paul ]

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 11:53:00 am »

your own fault for useing shurikens as cash   :p
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 12:28:00 pm »

and as potable water.  and for living in a world with razor sharp iron butterflys.  and.. and..

i wonder if 'throwing' will be nerfed in the rewrite.

this thread has inspired me to completely dispose of my weaving industry.  it used to be one of the major full time occupations of my dwarfs, keeping fresh clothes made.  now, its all going to stop.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 12:44:00 pm »

Hehe, memories of Final Fantasy and a gp throwing ninja ^_^
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 04:41:00 am »

I think metal caps count as clothing; I don't know if giving all of your dwarves metal caps will keep them from being upset about being naked, but at the very least it won't catch fire.

(Although I think copper and bronze will melt if exposed to high temeratures; I don't know what the effect of having a shell of molten metal clinging to your scalp is, but I imagine it won't be pretty.)

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 05:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gakidou:
<STRONG>(Although I think copper and bronze will melt if exposed to high temeratures; I don't know what the effect of having a shell of molten metal clinging to your scalp is, but I imagine it won't be pretty.)</STRONG>

Considering the heat required to melt these metals, and how heat conductive they are, I suspect there won't be anyone alive to find out exactly how it feels.

Also this reminds me of some would be prince getting his crown of gold  ;)

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Black Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

quote:
Also this reminds me of some would be prince getting his crown of gold

That scene would have been a lot funnier if it took place in Dwarf Fortress, although it would have made the books considerably shorter. Just imagine the stream of oblivious Dothraki running up to Viserys's corpse and melting themselves trying to pick up his 'crown...'

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 10:13:00 am »

my guess is that the results of that will be a light gray wound and an unhappy thought "recently had his/her armor welded to his/her skin"

remember we are talking about midgets that can smash peoples head into their bodies by throwing mud at them

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Valarauka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 07:15:00 pm »

lol  :D what a coincidence - I *just* finished a Game of Thrones and am going to start the next one pretty soon ...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »

Unhappy thoughts about being naked?

I've yet to see any...

All of my dwarves are nude, and none of them have any thoughts listed that say they are unhappy about being naked. They are all estatic.

CharonX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »

Unhappy thoughts about nudity?
Lousy dwarfs, I play that game in whatever state of clothing I want to!  ;)

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 07:13:00 am »

... "and that's how baby dwarf are made"

"wow, look at that legendary female metalsmith over there. I think I'll go and say Hi to her"

"hi babe, nice set of....ermmm... prongs you got there!... wanna... ummmmm... smelt something?"