Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Space Wizards 4: Now with more rocketpunk. Turn 14 (Mar 25)  (Read 21275 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Space Wizards 4: Now with more rocketpunk. Turn 14 (Mar 25)
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:52:18 pm »

A lone ship howls through the dark abyss, yet none can hear the wail of her engine.

The prison ship Acheron has recently stopped in orbit near the planet Skanderford, a border world on the border between Centauri and Ross space. The planet itself looks much like an eyeball from the skylight: eternally shadowed on one side, covered in raging storms on the other. The thin tropical band in between hosts most of the planet's lifeforms, many of which are exotic and sell for a lot in foreign markets.
The system military itself is rather proactive in stopping smugglers and perceived criminals, hence the fleet of prison ships in constant transit across the system. Acheron, you were told, is a vessel reserved for the most severe existential threats in the system.

Omega class threats they call them. Nasty things. You're one of them.

This is a game inspired by my old games about psionic characters in space, typically saving the universe and doing heroic things.
This game won't really require you to be as heroic. You can even not go to space, if you don't want to. It's also more rocketpunk, so expect less technology that does everything and more humans doing manual jobs in space.

Everyone will start on a spaceship, and will preferably escape together, although if you really want to solo it the game is freeform enough to allow that.

I've been writing lore for this game for about a week. I don't expect you to read it all, honestly, but I'm just going to put it out there since it helps with worldbuilding.

Sign-ups

The limit is six players as usual. You can reserve a spot if you'd like. It doesn't guarauntee you'll get in, but I won't start the game right away if there are people who reserved a spot and are still planning to make a sheet.

All rolls use a d20.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Explanations (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:21:52 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizards 4: The Revenant's Shadow
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 04:53:32 pm »

Humans have always watched the stars. The vast celestial forges of the sky formed the basis of mythologies across the globe for eons. To this day the stars remain shrouded in mysteries, and mankind simply walks in their shadows, separated by vast lightyears of travel.

As always, mankind has held on to the intrepid spirit of exploration which had conquered the globe in ancient times. The globular cluster now called Haven was once a mere bead in the eyes of telescopes across the human world. Now it is a bustling center of commerce, the crown jewel of human settlement and exploration.

The Mass Migrations

(You don't have to read all this...)

Spoiler: A Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Details on the Ross (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Details on the Aroth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Details on the Cyrians (click to show/hide)

It is worth noting that the scale of each major state is in the dozens of stars under centralized control. However, the average population of a space station is tens of thousands, while most moons and planets have hundreds of thousands to millions at most. Border worlds sometimes have hundreds of millions, but being parts of smaller states they are not listed here for brevity.
((This means you and I can make them up at will for plot purposes))

(Most reading is optional...)

Computers

This is somewhat of a rocketpunk setting in which computer technology has hit certain limits. Additionally, humans in general have genetically progressed to the point where they can perform complex calculations in their heads rather quickly.
Rather than solving society's problems, this has tended to make most wars and crimes worse simply due to the fact that the perpetrators are simply more capable than they were in the past.
Spoiler: Continued... (click to show/hide)
The Space Virus

The most drastic threat to humanity's overcomputerization in the 45,000's was the Space Virus. It first popped up in the California Nebula, spreading aboard FTL vessels to nearby systems with surprising speed. Since FTL is a rarity, warnings took a lot of time to get across, so most systems found themselves unprepared and suffered catastrophic failures in their computer systems. Thousands of ships were stranded.
Faster-than-Light and Propulsion

Most starships are slower-than-light. There exist huge solar beams in major systems used to accelerate to relativistic speeds, but craft outside of these systems use antimatter-based propulsion instead.
Some starships are capable of FTL. The exact means by which they travel is a fiercely-kept secret, but they seem to function as a sort of warp drive with a nonzero travel time, as trips aboard one still take time. The ship does, however, disappear from normal space during FTL transit.
Starships

Due to the Space Virus, a lot of tasks on spacecraft are entirely manual.

Many militaries are paranoid about the Space Virus transmitting itself through wavelengths other than radio, including visible light. This means that many military vessels especially lack cameras or sensors entirely. Some still have active and passive sensors linked to analog computers, and no incidents have thus been reported, but analog computers are painfully slow and so humans are typically involved to speed up the process.
Space Combat

Weapons typically use regular optics and periscopes, and a combat bridge is always present on warships, buried deep within the hull. Periscopes in this case are used to get full coverage, but there is still a risk of damage to a ship's observatory during battle, so equipment is often mobile and bolted onto rails for fast transport into safer places during battle stations.
Trade

Most habitable planets are not much more habitable than they need to be. Almost all suffer from shortages of phosphorous, which made early attempts at colonization rather difficult. Phosphorous is known as life's bottleneck and while plenty of it existed on Earth, there wasn't a lot of it to begin with on most of these worlds.
To sustain large populations, phosphorous is mined out of asteroids and high-metal-content planets where it naturally occurs in economical deposits. This phosphorous is then extracted from ore inside space-based refineries and shipped to planets with high population growth, the places phosphorous is needed the most.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:27:28 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 04:54:13 pm »

Current Players:
ATHATH (pg 1)
Wunderkatze (pg 1)
HighEndNoob (pg 1)
inaluct (pg 1)
Dustan Hache (pg 1)
TheBiggerFish (pg 2)

Waitlist:
Yourmaster (pg 2)
LordPorkins (pg 11)

Mechanics

Everyone gets a starting queue of six d20 and 3 free picks, which you can use to pick a die out of your queue for your next action. Each turn you get another free pick if you have less than 3 and didn't use one that turn.
This system was shamelessly stolen from AoshimaMichio's thread

Spoiler: Results Table (click to show/hide)

20's and 1's will be further exploded into a d6 roll. For high d6 rolls, overshoots will overshoot more and failures will fail less. Low d6 rolls behave vice versa.

Skillpoints are used to learn skills from the table below. You can also consult me for a custom skill if you wish. Skills grant basic bonuses, unlike than advanced mechanics such as "you can roll twice for X kind of action, pick the highest die" and so on. Those are acquired through miniquests.
Miniquests are short quests such as "Slay 3 bears" or "Save the universe." Completing the miniquest will give a reward that is specified by the miniquest. It will often be a special trait, unlike a skill.

Example: (Miniquest) Ambidextrous: Slay a boss-level NPC while dual-wielding weapons (Reward: You can now roll twice for two-handed actions)

To get a skillpoint, you spend a 20 using a free pick. This rerolls the die.
To get a miniquest, you roll a 20 using a free pick.

Every time you roll a die, you add a new d20 to the end of the queue. The same applies to spending a skillpoint for a free pick.
You can also add dice to add up to 20 (or more) but you only get an extra die for rolling one, meaning your number of dice will drop. You can also split your existing ones to get new dice, but you'll get some low dice that you have to roll eventually. The limit is 10 dice.

If you want to give an action some extra oomph, you can combine two or more dice, averaging the value (rounding up). For combat, this translates to a crushing attack or an impenetrable defense. For spells, this increases the power of the spell.

You can only split, add, and combine once per turn each unless you want to spend free actions to do it.

Spoiler: Starting Skills Table (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:18:49 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:13:14 pm »

In!

Building sheet...
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 06:12:40 pm »

Name: Arthur
Appearance/Race: Space Mushroom (large, can release spores that cause emotions, requires rest in soil for 12 hours per day to live, needs twice as much water as a normal human)
Bio: Arthur was a kidnapper. He would pretend to be a drug dealer, and ask customers for money for him to spray them with calm spores. When they became so "high" that they would be complacent enough to let Arthur sacrifice them to his artifact, he did so. He would then use his artifact to make enchanted items to sell, and made a huge profit. He was eventually caught by a sting operation (the "customer" was a robot that was made to look like a human, and thus wasn't affected by Arthur's spores).
Skill: 10 points in Persuader and 10 points in Charisma
Artifacts: Sanguinem (I was tempted to name it Korne, but then people would expect me to know stuff about WH40K), the Altar of Enchantment (-10/-10, but see text):
Sanguinem (Sang for short) is a square 2m×2m×1m altar (can be carried on Arthur's back). It can enchant items that are placed upon it. However, it usually requires at least one sacrifice to do so- although it has stats of -10/-10, it gains a +2/+1 bonus for every sapient creature that is sacrificed near it. The bonus stacks, but only lasts until its next enchantment. The creatures sacrificed to it need not be organic, but they must be unique (two beings with very similar lives and personalities are valid sacrifices, but near-replicas of other sacrificed beings are not) from other sacrificed creatures- one cannot just take a sapient computer program and sacrifice 100 copies of it for incredible items. Sang's goal is to discover as much as it can- as it cannot percieve the outside world (except for the messages of its owner), it must rely on the memories of sacrificed victims (which it absorbs) to experience life.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 06:51:09 pm »

2x2x1m is a bit big, you'd have to be really huge and might be unable to fit through doors.

Other than that, I like the concept a lot. One issue--12 hours of soil-sleep would make it difficult to travel on spaceships since trips take days. But I guess you could persuade people to accomodate.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 09:22:36 pm »

2x2x1m is a bit big, you'd have to be really huge and might be unable to fit through doors.

Other than that, I like the concept a lot. One issue--12 hours of soil-sleep would make it difficult to travel on spaceships since trips take days. But I guess you could persuade people to accomodate.
How about making it 1m×1m×0.5m?

Yeah, I figured that Emotion-Control spores needed a suitably large penalty to accompany them.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:42:26 pm »

That's about the size of a small portable fire pit. It'll do.

It's not a matter of penalties to offset advantages, it's a matter of your character being capture-able. Since it seems that your character couldn't just use the spores to get an immediate effect and needs the target to be willing to stand in them for a long enough time, they aren't an end-all combat tool, but a useful support option (also robots, but those aren't all that common due to their vulnerabilities). That's what's important, otherwise interactions boil down to "Spray him with spores. The end."

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 11:30:25 pm »

I'm excited for this one, sounds fun.

Name: Raioyris (pronounced Ray-oh-riss)

Appearance/Race: Raioyris is a pale, skinnier human with longish dark hair and silver eyes. He has a scar in the shape of an inverted cross spanning from his upper chest to his lower torso.

Bio: Raioyris, a slave aboard a decades old ship, spent all of his known life scurrying around maintenance tunnels closing valves and taping up whatever hissed, leaked or dripped. Rewarded via chute for his work, Raioyris never encountered the staples of the slavery we know; he knew no master, fellow slaves or anything of the sort. He lived a life entirely void of human interaction.

In order to cope with his dreadful circumstances, Raioyris’ developed schizophrenic tendencies which allowed his mind to immerse itself in discussion while Raioyris’ body engaged in nominal maintenance tasks. Raioyris’ internal dialogue tended to be despairing and melancholy, mostly consisting of proto-existentialist and absurdist banter. What am I? Am I but a flesh? Is there an existence beyond that which is servant to the flesh? These questions began to mount within his mind and for none of which he had answers, only an ever growing disdain for his physical self.

Spoiler: Raioyris' arrest (click to show/hide)

Skill:
Dexterity: +4 (4)
Agility: +2  (2)
Mind: +3   (9)
Charisma +2 (2)
Appearance +1 (1)
Crit: +2 (2)

Artifacts: Raioyris’ body is actually an artifact. Somewhere along the line he must have been snagged by a cult or perhaps a powerful wizard who attempted to turn into an artifact and then sold him as a slave after losing interest in him. (This can be the GM’s decision. Yay for subplot.)

Currently unknown to him, Raioyris has the ability to conjure up a ghastly disembodied suit of black armor adorned in purple cloths with a longsword sheathed horizontally across his lower back (I imagine this suit to be moderately larger than a average human, perhaps nearing 7 ft tall). When this ability is triggered glowing circular series of archaic runes appear in his eyes, this characteristic is also shared with his knight which can be viewed through its visor.

The ‘knight’ is linked to Raioyris’ schizophrenic other self. It usually reflects his anger and despair (this, for mechanics, can be modeled as Violent[3/-6]). Although the ‘knight’ is mute, it will occasionally communicate to Raioyris through thought (And I suppose it could deliver speech if need be).

Spoiler: Artifact mechanics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:04:32 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 02:00:00 am »

Spoiler: Harold Eisenhower (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:43:43 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizards 4: Looking for Players
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 11:13:23 pm »

Just a shameless bump for attention.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizards 4: Looking for Players (3/6)
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 03:51:18 pm »

Eisenhower the panzer commander lol. I can't help but imagine Dwight Eisenhower in a SS uniform at the helm of a Tiger. :P
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizards 4: Looking for Players (3/6)
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 08:09:54 pm »

Name: Violaceous Turaco a. k. a. 7mm Cannon of Tears, birth name unknown
Appearance/Race: Steely eyed and clad in a flowing, lurid red cape with a wide brimmed scarlet hat.
Bio: A legendary and notorious outlaw gunman, Violaceous Turaco wandered the lawless high-deserts of Centauri Prime with two 7mm depleted uranium automatic hand-cannons on his hip. He made his reputation gunning down corrupt lawmen in high profile duels that were often televised as entertainment in the seething equatorial metropolises of the planet's heavily terraformed paradise belt, and prided himself on never taking the life of an innocent.

With his flair for the dramatic and the noble nature of his mission, he quickly cultivated a rabid cult following among the trampled Centauri underclasses (and privately among more than a few of the disaffected royal youth). He is not actually aware of this, or even that the majority of his duels were televised.

Appearing out of nowhere at high noon in a small desert town to challenge the local state-sanctioned warlord to a duel, gunning him down in the main street, and then disappearing just as quickly back into the shifting dunes worked for long enough to draw the searing eye of the Julian Imperial Authority, who dispatched an all-star team of legendary bounty hunters to capture him alive. Surrounded in a tiny oasis town, he surrendered without a fight in the face of impossible odds.
Skill:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Artifacts:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hope this is alright! Tell me what you think.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizards 4: Now with more rocketpunk (3/6)
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 10:52:46 pm »

Reality warping space cowboy? Come on in!

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizards 4: Now with more rocketpunk (3/6)
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 11:16:21 pm »

Name: Archibald Zearsoul, Also known as Archie Zero by most of the people who have met him
Appearance/Race: Surprisingly, and blandly, human. His artifact occasionally changes his appearance, but his DNA and shape generally remain human.
Bio: A former medical officer for a excavation site, he was called down to the dig from the outpost after strange and sudden outbreak of various diseases afflicted the crew. By the time he and his medical team had arrived, the crew were little more than blobs of primordial flesh, and incapable of doing much themselves. While taking samples, he discovered a strange orb coated in the flesh of the formerly living. Several weeks and more people melting later, he was discovered as the sole survivor on the excavation site's outpost. He is currently being treated as more of a biohazard than a criminal.
Skill:
2 medical
2 First aid
1 surgery
2 physician
3 genetics
1 elegance
1 politeness
2 willpower
2 intellect.
Artifacts:
Spoiler: Orb of mutagenesis (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:37:52 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16