Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A testament to the survivability of a dwarf  (Read 1150 times)

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
A testament to the survivability of a dwarf
« on: March 14, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »

I never expected this.

In the late winter, this (not so) smart trapper and his buddy peasent wander onto this island while on break.  The frozen river thaws around them, and they are stuck.  The peasent goes crazy after eating vermin several times to survive, and dies of hunger.  The trapper has survived through to when I took this, late fall.  I thought for sure he would have died, but he seems to be quite a naturalist/survivor.  I hope when he comes back he calms down before my weapon traps in the entrance turn him into dwarf shishkebob...

[ March 14, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie ]

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: A testament to the survivability of a dwarf
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 10:18:00 pm »

I bet you were so enthralled you didnt listen to their screams. "Build a Bridge! Dammnit Build a bridge you pompous ass! Why are you just staring at us?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:44:00 pm »

~removed~
my mistake.

[ March 15, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie ]

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 12:58:00 am »

Im not insulting you, just kidding, hence the  :D Your welcome.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Valarauka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 01:10:00 am »

Aww, lighten up Jaqie - anyone could see his comment was a harmless jest. It's not like we don't spend all our time thinking up new and inventive ways to kill off our little dwarves in the first place...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 01:33:00 am »

wow, i thought it was funny.  most of the humor on the board involves intentionally cruel rulers and dwarfs grumbling about them.  

maybe i just havent been paying attention, but i havent seen one intentionally hatefull comment between posters.  ever.  until you just, you know, bit that dudes head off.

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 01:47:00 am »

either way, this whole thing is hilarious, Jaqie you've gotta tell us how it turns out, whether the hunter goes insane and ends up impaling himself on a trap, or if he calms down and reintegrates into society (maybe delivers a couple of hunted corpses as a symbol of dedication to his job, just like the movie "Castaway"?)

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 02:27:00 am »

Actually my trappers don't hunt, they butcher, tend animals, and tame animals.

And no, I didnt see it was in jest. one of my biggest 'personality shortcomings' is that I cannot tell when something is in jest, and there was no  :D  Anyway he is now back to his usual rigamaroo of cutting animals apart (maybe that is how he got his anger worked out?) and training wardogs.

I have been going for a few years now (look in the second page of http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000665  to see my current fortress layout including this trapper).  I still like the name of this fortress, "Steeldance".

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 02:40:00 pm »

"Guys, why didn't you build a bridge when I got trapped on the island? The peasant died and I had to eat worms for months!!!"

"Dude, we were just too busy. Sorry."

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »

LOL and it's the truth  :)

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

A few nights ago I had a fisherman and a mason who were messing about on the bridge over the underground river when the seasonal flood kicked in.

Some-how they both got swept into the river where they fluttered about moving here and there and here and there swimming but never really getting back up stream to the dry land I had already excavated.

Some-how the mason drowned , and the fisherman must have caught a currnet because Whoosh ! he was flung way , way downstream untill suddenly he was past my visible area and he just stopped.  Out of the river, no swimming. Stranded a long ways from the fortress.

And do you think I thought to have a miner designate to mine down to get him ?

Nope. It never crossed my mind until after he died. I feel like an idiot.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »

Too much wasted labor unless you need the limestone. if someone is that stupid they deserve their own fate.

On my previous fortress I had about five fisherdwarfs. they all loved this one fishing spot that had chasm tiles on EITHER SIDE of it.  Can you guess how many fisherdwarfs I had after a year? one. she was the only one that didn't use that fishing spot.  I could care less if they get drown when they do stupid crap like that (unless I need them for the whole fortress to survive!)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 04:58:00 pm »

i can beat that.

so i've got two dwarfs fishing on the cave river.  or maybe one of them is just gathering sand, i dont know.  there is a thin path along the bank that leads back to the fortress and, while they are out there, a towercap grows and cuts off their path.

I didnt figure it out until long afterwards.  "why wont those little bastards work?" i kept thinking.  I gave them jobs, and assigned them rooms, and tried everything i could think of, but they just wouldnt GO anywhere.

I gave up on them, and a while later found the dwarf corpses by the river.  "how the hell did they die, they couldnt just drown in a seasonal flood without being swept away..." i thought.

and then there was the question of "why arent any of the other dwarfs picking up their bodies and items? i have a graveyard and idle pesants!"

I finally figured it out when i went to harvest lumber and chopped down the towercap.  their bodies and loot were tidyed up, and i realized what had happened.

DOH!