Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Unavoidable fort mode FUN  (Read 5904 times)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unavoidable fort mode FUN
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2016, 11:53:52 pm »

Say, was the whole animal-sponsorship thing a one-off? Might the same conceivably be done for raw tokens?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2016, 11:57:32 pm »

Animal sponsorship got us some raw tokens anyway, I think (bees definitely, I think stuff related to SPECIFIC_FOOD too)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 12:35:56 am »

The only problem is that in order to get it to jump reliably, the dwarf needs to go berserk/opposed to life for at least an instant (since combat is the only time sapient creatures will use interactions), so you'll tend to notice when it jumps, as dwarves will start fighting.  Maybe if it causes everyone around it to go berserk at the same time, though, you won't be able to tell who started it...

Just an idea - would temporarily blinding other dwarves help to avoid the fighting?

It isn't really necessary and wouldn't help anyway, the berserking only lasts a single frame so the fighting rarely gets physical.  The problem is that you get an alert from the interruption, so a savvy player can figure out who is possessed.  The good news is that it doesn't always cause interruptions, so it might jump again without you noticing.

I'm still in the testing phase where the real culprit flashes, so I don't know how hard they are to track in practice.

On a related note, does anyone know how long it takes for a vampire to get thirsty?  I want to time it so it jumps after each feeding.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 12:56:00 pm »

The only problem is that in order to get it to jump reliably, the dwarf needs to go berserk/opposed to life for at least an instant (since combat is the only time sapient creatures will use interactions), so you'll tend to notice when it jumps, as dwarves will start fighting.  Maybe if it causes everyone around it to go berserk at the same time, though, you won't be able to tell who started it...

Just an idea - would temporarily blinding other dwarves help to avoid the fighting?

It isn't really necessary and wouldn't help anyway, the berserking only lasts a single frame so the fighting rarely gets physical.  The problem is that you get an alert from the interruption, so a savvy player can figure out who is possessed.  The good news is that it doesn't always cause interruptions, so it might jump again without you noticing.

I'm still in the testing phase where the real culprit flashes, so I don't know how hard they are to track in practice.

On a related note, does anyone know how long it takes for a vampire to get thirsty?  I want to time it so it jumps after each feeding.
How about COUNTER_TRIGGER:TIME_SINCE_SUCKED_BLOOD?
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2016, 01:53:20 pm »

Wouldn't it cause it to automatically jump whenever it found a new host, since the timer would be set to 0?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2016, 02:13:51 pm »

Wouldn't it cause it to automatically jump whenever it found a new host, since the timer would be set to 0?
Mmmmm... Good point. It looks like DRINKING_BLOOD might be more effective. According to the wiki it's "how much longer the creature will be drinking somebody's blood. Starts at 2.4 days and counts down to zero."

The arguments that Toady used are "1:NONE:REQUIRED."
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2016, 03:20:05 pm »

So I have here the first test of body-hopping spirits, which I called pretas (i.e. hungry ghosts).  They hang around exposed food and possess dwarves (and cats) who encounter them.

Interestingly vermin hunters don't seem to kill them.  I'm not sure what prevents it.  Maybe VERMIN_NOTRAP?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2016, 05:12:21 am »

[CE_ADD_TAG:BLOODSUCKER:NO_DRINK:PROB:100:START:0:END:201600]

What should this do? I assumed "vampiric" behavior is tied to the curse, not BLOODSUCKER tag.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2016, 05:21:18 am »

It is the BLOODSUCKER tag

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2016, 08:28:03 am »

Yeah, but I remember people trying to make a fortress of creatures with BLOODSUCKER tag, and they did kill people in worldgen as vampires. Was it an unsuccessful test which should have worked? So a caste with Bloodsucker should work like a normal vampire, get reported for it and drain people of blood?

I relate to this info:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152978.msg6512722#msg6512722

The wiki says "Seems to be required to make the creature denouncable as a creature of the night." about this token, and nothing else.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2016, 09:39:34 am »

can there be vermin that sweats a toxic material all the time?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2016, 06:41:14 am »

BLOODSUCKER gives a creature all vampiric behaviors, full stop.  It even works with pets.  Although, it could be that NO_AGING does something as well, you can see in worldgen people become suspicious when a creature does not age.

No.  Or rather, yes, but it won't do anything.  The only way for a vermin to influence another creature is with a vermin bite.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2016, 08:43:48 am »

NO_AGING makes them friendly to undeads.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2016, 09:30:54 am »

How about spontaneous combustion?  Something that would start a fire in the fortress, not just vaporize like real life spontaneous combustion. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2016, 12:12:52 pm »

BLOODSUCKER gives a creature all vampiric behaviors, full stop.  It even works with pets.  Although, it could be that NO_AGING does something as well, you can see in worldgen people become suspicious when a creature does not age.

No.  Or rather, yes, but it won't do anything.  The only way for a vermin to influence another creature is with a vermin bite.
Can you elaborate on "pets" part if you have the info? What if I make an interaction which has a chance to give BLOODSUCKER to cats? Will they drink blood and drain people to death as normal vampires do, and will dwarves try to report that as a crime?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5