Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first siege (AKA talk about timing!)  (Read 937 times)

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
My first siege (AKA talk about timing!)
« on: March 15, 2007, 05:05:00 pm »

The picture says it all...

:D

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first siege (AKA talk about timing!)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »

Woah... man.
he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »

yeah, they took out the human caravan faster then even i thought they would. I think they used one spear each... then they went after their animals and then ran at my doors... not noticing my dark stone sword traps. *woosh* *splutch*.

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 12:34:00 am »

Fourteen gobbos in the first siege eh? Not bad. I have yet to experience a siege =( I need to get to playing my game again, heh.
he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 03:35:00 am »

I just had a siege recently.  First siege for this fortress, about 20 goblins.  Got as far as my front door, saw the dwarves inside so they charged.  I've never had a siege end so quickly as that.

My second siege consisted of a human guard spooking a herd of 10 elephants through my front door.  The elephants survived the traps long enought to trample 2 dwarves, kill the guard, and bleed all over my entry hall before succumbing to their wounds....  I need more traps...

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

Out of curiousity... what happens if the human (or any other) caravan can't leave because you raised all bridges?

Will they sit out the siege with your dwarves?

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 11:28:00 am »

hm. make a fortress and test it  :) wall them up without a siege...

I remember doing that once because I had not built an execution device for them yet but had the room itself finished. they were in there almost a year before succumbing to their fate.

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 11:40:00 am »

well i dont really know but i somehow had a human mercahnt and his mule end up becoming stray in my fortress. He and the mule eventually died from lack of food drink and drowsiness. Strangely they were both suffering from missery
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 02:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by schnobs:
<STRONG>Out of curiousity... what happens if the human (or any other) caravan can't leave because you raised all bridges?

Will they sit out the siege with your dwarves?</STRONG>

I've been playing with a hermit-fortress recently and decided to seal a dwarven caravan in one of the rooms of my little fort.

The mules and one out of the two merchants eventually went berserk and were killed by the caravan guards. The other merchant died of hunger or thirst. The guards, it seems, are invunerable to hunger or thirst (or berserker rage) as they managed to stay alive for a year before I let them out, trapped them in a corrider and flooded them. My maddwarf had a nice set of chainmail after that    :)

Tried it with subsequent caravans, and the results are always the same. Merchants either  go berserk or die of hunger, yet the guards continue to live.

Edit : Do the dwarves siege your fort if you continue to kill their caravans? I know the humans do, but I've never killed off the dwarven caravan before. 1 dwarf vs 20+ should be interesting, especially with all the traps I'm setting up for the inevitable confrontation with humans.

[ March 18, 2007: Message edited by: mikefictiti0us ]

[ March 18, 2007: Message edited by: mikefictiti0us ]

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 02:23:00 am »

quote:
Edit : Do the dwarves siege your fort if you continue to kill their caravans? I know the humans do, but I've never killed off the dwarven caravan before. 1 dwarf vs 20+ should be interesting, especially with all the traps I'm setting up for the inevitable confrontation with humans.

Dwarves never siege unfortunately... The only penalty for killing the Dwarven merchants (more accurately, stealing their goods- both humans and dwarves care nothing for their merchants, just for their profits...) is less immigration- hardly a penalty for a hermit fortress...

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 02:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>
Dwarves never siege unfortunately... The only penalty for killing the Dwarven merchants (more accurately, stealing their goods- both humans and dwarves care nothing for their merchants, just for their profits...) is less immigration- hardly a penalty for a hermit fortress...</STRONG>

Aww, that's unfortunate. Would have been fun. I've noticed the immigration penalties though, as I've killed off every caravan thus far. My hermit has been at the fort for three and a half years and I have yet to have a wave of immigrants.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 11:36:00 pm »

Referring to the original topic starter, this is not all too uncommon situation. This happened twice to me in 2 different fortresses except on a larger scale (65-70 goblins versus the entire human wagon caravan, the humans were slaughtered, the goblins suffered maybe 2 casualties)
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat