Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [LCS] Are some high-rank conservatives unpersuadable?  (Read 2566 times)

DrKilljoy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[LCS] Are some high-rank conservatives unpersuadable?
« on: January 29, 2016, 02:32:12 am »

I started a game with my leader minmaxed for Charisma, got him up to 1000 juice, and trained Persuasion until it capped out. The result was a 24 Charisma, 24 Persuasion beast who could charm his way out of pretty much any encounter he ran into. I decided to try to use this power to get an Eminent Scientist on my side.

It didn't work. I was able to get through the initial "Want to hear something disturbing?" a few times, with some luck, and seeing how hard that was even with my specialized leader, I decided to get 6 appointments with Eminent Scientists before I left the site and tried my luck. Six appointments. $300 on souvenirs. Six immediate "they think you're crazy and are done with you" failures. I tried again, getting only another wasted day and $300 for my trouble. With a maxed-out character built solely to persuade anyone and everyone, I didn't manage to hang on to an Eminent Scientist past the first session once in a dozen tries.

Are there things that are outright impossible to do with persuasion within the limits of the game, even if you've got the best odds possible and are allowed to try it? Or was I just really unlucky with my rolls/the odds are hilariously low?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [LCS] Are some high-rank conservatives unpersuadable?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 01:59:06 pm »

I started a game with my leader minmaxed for Charisma, got him up to 1000 juice, and trained Persuasion until it capped out. The result was a 24 Charisma, 24 Persuasion beast who could charm his way out of pretty much any encounter he ran into. I decided to try to use this power to get an Eminent Scientist on my side.

It didn't work. I was able to get through the initial "Want to hear something disturbing?" a few times, with some luck, and seeing how hard that was even with my specialized leader, I decided to get 6 appointments with Eminent Scientists before I left the site and tried my luck. Six appointments. $300 on souvenirs. Six immediate "they think you're crazy and are done with you" failures. I tried again, getting only another wasted day and $300 for my trouble. With a maxed-out character built solely to persuade anyone and everyone, I didn't manage to hang on to an Eminent Scientist past the first session once in a dozen tries.

Are there things that are outright impossible to do with persuasion within the limits of the game, even if you've got the best odds possible and are allowed to try it? Or was I just really unlucky with my rolls/the odds are hilariously low?

You should try to raise the Science of your Liberal.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 11:19:55 am »

A quicker way to test this: try to persuade-recruit an Agent. Agents have even more juice than Eminent Scientists, but none of the Science skill. I believe you can recruit an Agent this way, and if you can't, it's a design flaw in the game and needs to be fixed.

If you can get an Agent this way, then the inability to get an Eminent Scientist owes to your lack of Science skill (which is realistic, incidentally).

Zekka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 01:22:27 am »

I vaguely remember I've gotten eminent scientists once or twice (it's not common, and I don't remember how I did it), but I've never succeeded to persuade the CEO. I seem to remember there being a hardcoded reason that some persuasion attempts never succeed, but I don't remember what it was. It was like a year and a half ago I investigated this and I might be confusing my recollection with something from the court system.

Have you tried music? I can't remember if this has worked for me before.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 01:47:06 pm »

Seduction followed by vacation will get virtually any conservative (even a C+ president!). Seduction without vacation will fail if the conservative has more than 2-300 juice or so. Persuasion IIRC is about as strong as seduction without vacation.