Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do snake pits work well?  (Read 9102 times)

Thorgrim Grudgebearer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do snake pits work well?
« on: January 29, 2016, 04:44:36 am »

I must admit after a bit of a break from dwarf fortress I have become addicted to it again.

I have especially become addicted to massive mega-projects.

And I was wondering, how effective would a massive snake pit be for dumping goblins in?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do snake pits work well?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:59:36 am »

For dumping of sentient captured enemies you may want to wait for fixing of 9271: troglodytes [intelligent/untamable animals?] cannot be assigned to a cage or chain in 0.42.06.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 07:29:17 am »

The answer is not really. Goblins will punch the snakes to death, most likely.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 07:44:36 am »

The answer is not really. Goblins will punch the snakes to death, most likely.
Clearly the solution is to mod in bigger, better snakes. Oh and make them embark pets like dogs are.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 09:05:46 am »

Breeding certain snakes is impossible without modding, so look them up before you put up nest boxes.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 10:51:27 am »

For dumping of sentient captured enemies you may want to wait for fixing of 9271: troglodytes [intelligent/untamable animals?] cannot be assigned to a cage or chain in 0.42.06.

"Dumping" by opening a retracting bridge that the goblins are standing on should still work well, though.  But I agree that you'd need giant snakes for this to be anything other than a training grounds for the goblins.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 10:55:05 am »

dodgetraps are  effective to get goblins in a pit. Make it deep enhough so that the gobbos are barely alive and it might work

Player111444

• Bay Watcher
  • I Fight for Nod!! POWER:30 PEACE:35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 11:05:45 am »

I  thought it was fixed in 42.05... Oh well i have wait...

I Remember trying a workaround involving 1x1 corridors with Doors with a single hatch cover. Should try bridges instead.  :)
It's been a long time old friend.

Not a fan of CnC Rivals.

L0rd L33t

• Bay Watcher
  • My Life for Auir!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 02:59:11 pm »

Snakes work well if put in a plane.
Tantrum Spirals in a Nutshell:
Dwarf 1 is throwing a tantrum!
Dwarf 2: A fight? Count me in!
Dwarf 2: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!
Dwarf 3: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!
Dwarf 4: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 03:16:40 pm »

I quite like this idea. It's very... Northumbrian. However, I must agree with others here; the goblins would probably kill the snakes, unless maybe they've been gravely injured/pretty much knocked out. Giant desert scorpions, on the other hand...
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 03:43:07 pm »

dodgetraps are  effective to get goblins in a pit. Make it deep enhough so that the gobbos are barely alive and it might work

I used to love dodge-fall traps, so I tried one in a recent fort, and only got one goblin to dodge. The rest just got pasted by the giant spiked balls. It seems that the current version doesn't send many skilled dodgers, so they aren't as much fun. Maybe I need to use less effective weapons in my traps, or maybe I just ran into a lame batch of goblins (and some trolls and beak dogs). Mind you, the traps did a pretty good job of stopping the goblins, but they eventually got clogged up and lost effectiveness. Plus, it's just not the same watching a goblin get beat repeatedly by a huge spiked green glass ball as it is watching a goblin go splat at the bottom of a deep pit. You start feeling sorry for them after watching them get hit a dozen or so times, but watching limbs fly back up 5 levels after the impact never seems to get old.

Admittedly, my sample size was fairly small, maybe only a dozen samples. I guess I should set up one in my current fort and see if it works any better.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 05:16:12 pm »

I used to love dodge-fall traps, so I tried one in a recent fort, and only got one goblin to dodge. The rest just got pasted by the giant spiked balls. It seems that the current version doesn't send many skilled dodgers, so they aren't as much fun. Maybe I need to use less effective weapons in my traps, or maybe I just ran into a lame batch of goblins (and some trolls and beak dogs). Mind you, the traps did a pretty good job of stopping the goblins, but they eventually got clogged up and lost effectiveness. Plus, it's just not the same watching a goblin get beat repeatedly by a huge spiked green glass ball as it is watching a goblin go splat at the bottom of a deep pit. You start feeling sorry for them after watching them get hit a dozen or so times, but watching limbs fly back up 5 levels after the impact never seems to get old.

Admittedly, my sample size was fairly small, maybe only a dozen samples. I guess I should set up one in my current fort and see if it works any better.
Goblins sending mostly untrained rookies in recent versions is a known fact. Some call for a return of goblin weaponmasters of old.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 06:16:58 pm »

Yeah, I know, I was just pointing out that one of the consequences of poorly trained goblins is that dodge-fall traps don't work very well. Maybe with a lot of traps, each with a single wooden weapon, you'd manage induce each goblin to dodge at least once. If the weapons in the trap are too effective, you end up killing the goblins and jamming the traps.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 09:34:59 pm »

Make the drop 5z or so down. Their bones will break, significantly inhibiting their ability to punch snakes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Thorgrim Grudgebearer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 10:33:48 pm »

I think I have come up with a solution! To goblins punching my poor precioussss snakes to death. How will goblins kill my precioussss little snakes with their big nasssssty punches if they dont have armssssssss or handsssss to punch them with!!!!

For the sake of !!!SSSSSCIENCE!!! I MUST TEST THE COMBAT EFFECTIVENESSSS OF GOBLINSSSS WITHOUT ARMSSSSSS!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3