Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Everquest Project 1999  (Read 1430 times)

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
Everquest Project 1999
« on: February 04, 2016, 05:37:01 am »

I searched the forums, but didn't see mention of this great,
free, server/community incarnation of the best time period in Everquest's history.

Anyone else play on p99 blue? Yes there's also a red (PvP) server, though the population is usually more like 200 average versus the 900 of the blue server.

Give it a Google and come join the thousand or so people who are playing it all day every day.

Totally free, Everquest up to mid-Velious release now I guess... (no hybrid class exp penalty now!).
It's better than you remember since the community is generally more mature/homogeneous,
and the internets has lots of good info that's easily accessible (http://wiki.project1999.com/Main_Page for one) for those who like to do their reading, or have maps.
The server population is generally super nice and helpful, willing to answer all questions and give lot of free starter gear or good deals for new people.

On a personal note; I beg you to read the naming policy before naming things... I think a good 10-30% of players don't even know there is a naming policy  :'(
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17488
the policy is designed to avoid immersion breaking, and it's, sadly, not really enforced due to time/manpower issues I guess,
 but it's still important to those of us who are trying to play the "R" part of the 'MMORPG'. ;)
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
Re: Everquest Project 1999
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:06:03 pm »

Anyone play p99?
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Everquest Project 1999
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 05:53:16 am »

As many years as I put into EQ1, I started mid-velious and didn't find it all that engaging. I definitely preferred the post-Luclin era, which had more incentives to group up for experience, started really differentiating the classes (like making the ranger's archery actually viable for damage output), and overall improved the experience. In terms of gameplay, this improved further with additional AAs in later expansions. Sure, the lore was all over the place, but honestly I don't mind that kind of schizo take to story telling, I'm sure it saves a lot of effort from not having to tie things together or retcon old lore.

Of course, Luclin was kind of a low point content-wise, especially in terms of raids (lots of health sponge fights), and GoD wasn't much better. AoW improved on that in terms of raiding, and LDoN helped with pre-raid content. (Let's just forget about the clusterf* that was PoP flagging. GoD/AoW had some too but to a much simpler degree, and could be simplified further.)

What kind of killed the experience was the instancing. But I'm of two minds about that. Obviously, it reduces the socialization aspect when you can just dive a dungeon with friends and not cross paths with anyone else. On the other hand, it really sucks to plan a group or a raid (and raids were a huge personal investment, can you imagine taking 72 people into a raid in World of Warcraft? What a mess that would be, I don't think battlegrounds even get that large) only for the content that you can kill and still get useful stuff from to already be dead. Sure, that promotes competition and socialization but sucks for people with real world obligations.

I really think LDoN was a step in the right direction in terms of broadening the mid-game/pre-raid experience, it is just that the instancing sanitized the world. If there was some compromise between LDoN's dungeon rewards without the instancing, it would help immensely I think.

All that to say, no, I wouldn't go back to EQ99, even if I had the time to dedicate to an MMO right now. I considered one of the other revival projects, but never actually got into it. I don't even remember what it was called, but it was spiritual in nature and not a direct revival, having redone zone connections and changed the world and lore.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:10:56 am by Niveras »