Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: Aoshi's test thread: Test 2?  (Read 70644 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Aoshi's test thread: Test 2?
« on: January 30, 2016, 02:09:53 am »

Heya. Doing a simple mechanics test here so I need few volunteers. Mechanics are as follows:

Test 2: something

(to be done)

Test 1: Roll queue

• In the beginning I will roll you 10d6 for you. These are used in order for your future actions.
  • You start with three "free picks". Free pick means that you can pick any die from the queue for your action.
  • For every turn you don't use free picks, you gain one more.
  • There are few ways to modify your roll queue. Figure them out.

For example your initial roll queue is 1,4,3,6,4,5,5,1,2,2. It sucks having to roll 1 so you rather pick 4. I remove first 4 from queue and roll new die to keep queue length same. In this case RNG said 4, so you refreshed queue is 1,3,6,4,5,5,1,2,2,4. Your action succeeds, but your next roll is still 1. Unless you do something about it.
While you can keep picking better rolls, this has tendecy to cause bad rolls piling into long sequence of bad luck.

So, any volunteers?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:15:07 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanics test
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 12:30:06 pm »

Interesting... PTW.

What's to stop someone from wasting their ones on making a sandwich or something?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:52:09 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 12:36:29 pm »

Sign me up!!! Time to live the glorious life of a game tester guinea pig.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 12:44:00 pm »

I'm up for this.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 01:02:00 pm »

What's to stop someone from wasting their 1 on making a sandwich or something?

Food poisoning.

Anyway, I'm in.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 02:12:07 pm »

Food poisoning.

Anyway, I'm in.
What if you're about to pull a really risky stunt?

"Sorry, guys, I've ran out of free picks. Before I try fight that boss/defuse that bomb/jump across that gap, I'm gonna make sandwiches until some good rolls get queued up."

What I'm trying to say is that, unless all actions have equivalent consequences, one can just waste his lower rolls on trivial actions.

What if you hid the queue from the players? A player could request to "use the next five I have in my queue," and if they didn't have one, the queue would proceed normally. You would, of course, not tell them that they didn't have one until their action in the turn.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 02:17:20 pm »

Food poisoning.

Anyway, I'm in.

Exactly. Or cutting your fingers. 1 is catastrophic failure, no matter what you are trying to do. But nothing is stopping you from trying to minimize consequences of 1. That's the beauty of knowing future (to some degree).

Tomasque:
  Roll queue: 4 1 1 2 4 4 5 3 5 3
  Free picks: 2
inaluct: 
  Roll queue: 3 2 4 6 6 2 2 3 3 2
Whisperling: 
  Roll queue: 6 1 4 1 4 6 5 4 3 5

You three are standing on a soccer field surrounded by a fence. On east, behind the fence, is a major road. Major by local standards. On north an open gravel field. For other sports. On west is a bowling hall, and on south, behind few scrawny trees, is a local "highway" though technically it is closer to ocean level than you are.

Anyway, FIGHT! Or don't. Whatever works.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 02:34:07 pm »

I reverse my queue!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 02:36:25 pm »

Huh. A bowling alley. Let's go bowling.

I walk to the bowling alley.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 03:02:24 pm »

Sit down and meditate on the nature of the universe.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 04:04:19 pm »

I reverse my queue!
4. A bold idea. But to reverse your queue you must first get your hands on the dice somehow...

Huh. A bowling alley. Let's go bowling.

I walk to the bowling alley.
Walking this short distance is not a challence really. The bowling alley is open. It has ten lanes total, of which three are being used. Hobbyists training for next tournament, college students from other side of road (all girls) and a professional bowler testing his new balls.

Sit down and meditate on the nature of the universe.
6. Just like the grass you sit on, the universe is clearly artificial. A simulated universe where almost everything is dictated by dice. The big question is whether the universe is created to observe civilizations or individuals. If former is true, then standing out is bad idea, and in latter it is good idea. But you cannot make up your mind which one it is.
The solution is the perfect middle ground! Make your civilization to stand out!

I'll cap free picks to five. It doesn't make sense to have more than that.

Tomasque:
  Roll queue: 1 1 2 4 4 5 3 5 3 4
  Free picks: 3/5
inaluct:
  Roll queue: 3 2 4 6 6 2 2 3 3 2
Whisperling:
  Roll queue: 1 4 1 4 6 5 4 3 5 4
Old sigs.
Games.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 04:18:14 pm »

Well then, let's start civilization-building! Run around and draft anyone I find into my kingdom's millitary.

I'll use a free pick to grab that 5.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 04:18:53 pm »

Excellent. I grab some bowling shoes, find an empty lane, and pick up a 12 pound ball. It's been a while since I've bowled, so I'm starting off light and slow. I roll the ball down the lane...

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 05:27:19 pm »

Well then, let's start civilization-building! Run around and draft anyone I find into my kingdom's millitary.

I'll use a free pick to grab that 5.
5. Only way to run anywhere is by the bowling alley. On the other side of the road is business school and a police station. You ponder your options and decide that police make probably the best military material. That said you walk into the station and sit down by table with couple of officers. After a good talk you find out that they are rather dissapointed by current state of affairs. Police funding is low, immigrants and racists are fighting every other day and situation in overall could be much better. You quietly tell them your plan about a new kingdom to replace the current one. Shh, they say, that kind of talk doesn't suit here. Come to this address at evening. they say and slip you a piece of paper.

Excellent. I grab some bowling shoes, find an empty lane, and pick up a 12 pound ball. It's been a while since I've bowled, so I'm starting off light and slow. I roll the ball down the lane...
3. ... and it knocks two pins over before falling into channel. Your second throw goes about as well. Truly, it has been a while.

Tomasque:
  Roll queue: 1 1 2 4 4 5 3 5 3 4
inaluct:
  Roll queue: 2 4 6 6 2 2 3 3 2 2
  Free picks: 4/5
Whisperling:
  Roll queue: 1 4 1 4 6 4 3 5 4 6
  Free picks: 2/5
Old sigs.
Games.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 06:07:41 pm »

Join whisperling's new military!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:53:09 pm by Tomasque »
Money!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33