Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Author Topic: Aoshi's test thread: Test 2?  (Read 73816 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanics test
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2016, 04:47:41 pm »

Become more human than human.
Do not lose plasma-spitting powers.
Do lose all the other brains.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2016, 07:21:08 pm »

since crazyabe is taking my dice, shove all my 1s into his queue, preferably in the front.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:22:39 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2016, 02:42:32 pm »

Sorry for the sudden break, weekend and stuff happened.

grab my 5, grab Dustan Hache's last 5: Access the universal player inventory and stat editer for myself.
((yep, that is technicly a legal thing to do, want to know what I mean? I shall quote...
Quote from: Da Rules
You can pick any roll at anytime, but will lose the die permenently from your queue. so every free pick is one die less in your queue.
...the underlined part is the most important part, It makes it so anyone can use any rolls, but they won't be used up by anyone else do to that rule's wording... Literal interpertations for the win!))
This feels like very bad idea to permit, but I'm curious to see where it takes us.
5. 5. Universal control system permissions elevated. Access to player inventories granted. Access to stat editor granted. Administrator notified.

Hum a dirge, insult whoever is watching the security camera feed.
1. You start yodeling.

Become more human than human.
Do not lose plasma-spitting powers.
Do lose all the other brains.

4-1. All that screaming in your nervous system distracts you from completing the spell properly and you end up transforming yourself into a gigantic head with tiny cute baby limbs flapping on sides. Screaming continues. Now from your mouth too.

since crazyabe is taking my dice, shove all my 1s into his queue, preferably in the front.
I take 5 for that.
5. 6. But you are succesfull. And he can't move ditch or move them.

Spoiler: Playah (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2016, 03:25:25 pm »

use Nunzillor's 5 and someone's 4: [Reverse Psych]Convince all the ones in all the Queues to Stay Separate and NEVER become One Number.[/Reverse Psych]

((This turns into what amounts to "Convince all ones to become one big Lethal Mega Number" when reversed, Soooo...))
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2016, 03:45:59 pm »

Yawn.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2016, 04:01:55 pm »

Split all the fours. attempt to rationally explain to myself what crazyabe is doing.
(I feel like this is what will happen.)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:15:27 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2016, 01:45:00 am »

use Nunzillor's 5 and someone's 4: [Reverse Psych]Convince all the ones in all the Queues to Stay Separate and NEVER become One Number.[/Reverse Psych]

((This turns into what amounts to "Convince all ones to become one big Lethal Mega Number" when reversed, Soooo...))
5. 4+1. Dice doesn't want to do what you tell them to do. They do the exact opposite. Everyone's queue is now single 1 forever. Everything everyone does is always catastrophic failure.

As expected, that went to downhill really fast.

I thought of having one shared roll queue for everyone, but that would probably end up as one big clusterfuck.
The concept of free pick is slightly questionable. Perhaps ruling that 1 is added in place of picked roll would make it more strategic option. That would avoid problem of shortening your queue and need to extend it.

Any thoughts or feedback? How do you think this whole "roll queue" system works? Any obvious or less obvious drawbacks?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2016, 02:14:20 am »

I followed this RTD really closely. Even though I didn't participate directly, I think it was overall a great experience.

On "Free Picks" :
Free Picks are a good mechanism and you got the right idea concerning them. They need to be risky to stay balanced.

Did you consider making the success of Free Picks depend of a dice roll outside of the queue ? It could work like this :
[1] : Critical Failure, dice is pissed, take the normal pick-1 (or normal pick become a 1 and you have to take it ?)
[2] : Failure, take your normal pick
[3] : Partial success, action is rolled on FreePick-1
[4] : Success
[5] : Great Success, FreePick+1 and can't do a 6
[6] : Overshot, action is rolled on FreePick+2 (can do 6) or action is rolled on "opposite roll" (1 become 6, 2-5, 3-4 and inversely)

On "Queue Manipulation" :
It got really weird when players began to mess up each others queues and their own. I think this need more rules or control.

On the RTD :
I loved what you kept coming up with. Dice combining, magic and weirdy-dipsy apocalypse.
Keep up the good work !

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2016, 02:32:38 am »

Personally, I believe that another player's ones should only increase their misfortune and their misfortune alone. As for free picks, I think they are fair and balanced with the dice split method. Another alternative is that free picks roll the picked number -1 to replace them (except for picked 1s, those would roll a d6 to replace).

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2016, 02:47:13 pm »

Personally, I believe that another player's ones should only increase their misfortune and their misfortune alone. As for free picks, I think they are fair and balanced with the dice split method. Another alternative is that free picks roll the picked number -1 to replace them (except for picked 1s, those would roll a d6 to replace).
Well, dice splitting was your idea after all. It's only natural to like it. :P

For replacement pick-2 would probably be better. It won't do that by picking 6 you have change to get 5. But the idea is probably worth of exploring.

I followed this RTD really closely. Even though I didn't participate directly, I think it was overall a great experience.

On "Free Picks" :
Free Picks are a good mechanism and you got the right idea concerning them. They need to be risky to stay balanced.

Did you consider making the success of Free Picks depend of a dice roll outside of the queue ? It could work like this :
[1] : Critical Failure, dice is pissed, take the normal pick-1 (or normal pick become a 1 and you have to take it ?)
[2] : Failure, take your normal pick
[3] : Partial success, action is rolled on FreePick-1
[4] : Success
[5] : Great Success, FreePick+1 and can't do a 6
[6] : Overshot, action is rolled on FreePick+2 (can do 6) or action is rolled on "opposite roll" (1 become 6, 2-5, 3-4 and inversely)

On "Queue Manipulation" :
It got really weird when players began to mess up each others queues and their own. I think this need more rules or control.

On the RTD :
I loved what you kept coming up with. Dice combining, magic and weirdy-dipsy apocalypse.
Keep up the good work !

That's interesting take on the problem. Stealing good luck from your future self shakes the timeline and may result unpredicatable consequences, therefore explaining why the roll is done outside of the queue. Though an alternative for 1 and 6 could be applying +-1 for all rolls up to the taken roll.
For example your queue is  2 1 5 2 2 3 5 2 4 6. You pick the last 5 and then roll 1. Since you failed to take the roll, you use your normal roll instead and all other rolls suffer damage and your new queue would be  * 1 4 1 1 2 4 2 4 6. For rolling 6 it would become  3 2 6 3 3 4 * 2 4 6.
There would be both risk and promise.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2016, 06:33:36 pm »

-snip-
Next test when ? :P

Dice combining/splitting was a very interesting context. I didn't understand how dice combining worked in this game thought, it got over my head.

Which makes me think, what about a Dice Assimilation/Conversion mechanic ?

Under some circumstances, a dice (preferably a bad one of FUN) could absorb/convert a nearby dice on the queue. There could be a "rotten 1" roll in the queue, that would eat away and ruin your queue if you didn't use it fast enough.
It would be an incentive to give Free Rolls another use. Getting rid quickly of this rotten 1.

And of course, there would be some kind of circumstances for this rotten 1/2 to appear in the first place.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:56:54 am by Nakéen »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2016, 02:34:29 pm »

Next test when ? :P
How about right now?

That "rotten 1" could be one of possible outcomes of rolling 1 while trying to get free pick. However, if there's a mechanism for shortening roll queue, there also must be a mechanism for extending it, and that's all more rules to keep track of. Interesting possibility, but I don't want this to get too complicated.

TEST #3 COMMENCE!

"Attention! Special Forces Alpha Team, report to auditorium!"

Five highly trained soldiers, please. Pick your specialization:
  • Rifleman: Basic role, has a sidearm, assault rifle, stealth suit
  • Sniper: -Assault rifle, +Very Long Range Sniper Rifle
  • Grenadier: -Sidearm, +Pile of various grenades
  • Medic: -Assault rifle, +Healing/torture equipment
  • Recon: -Assault rifle, +Silenced sidearm, +Leg enhancements

Nakéen got his spot reserved since you have been waiting a while now.

Rules for this test: standard 10 roll queue, free picks are subject to roll outside of queue to see if you can actually get what you wanted. Based on Nakéen's idea. No dice splitting or stealing. And no supernatural stuff beyond what is provided.
Old sigs.
Games.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanics test: Test 3, Alien overlords
« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2016, 02:50:05 pm »

((I call Sniper!))
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2016, 02:57:34 pm »

((Let's go for Medic then !))

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 17, 2016, 02:58:38 pm »

(Grenadier is I!)
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33