Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best Misc. Weapon for an adventurer?  (Read 9955 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Best Misc. Weapon for an adventurer?
« on: January 30, 2016, 08:15:03 pm »

Although its probably dependent on the actual skill, what random ass objects prove to be the best weapons?  The one that comes to mind is obviously the pickaxe, although I'm not sure if that actually falls under misc object user.  Do chests do any damage?  What about statues, staffs, or crutches? 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Misc. Weapon for an adventurer?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 08:42:35 pm »

The pick isn't misc weapon, it uses and improves Miner skill in combat. The density of wooden crutches is to low to be good for anything other than cherry tapping someone for fun and humiliation. A player fortress can produce metal crutches, but if worldgen forts produce them, it's probably at a very low frequency.  Bronze and iron shields are solid, heavy and easily obtainable, and they're near enough in impact strength that you can take whichever you find the higher quality for.

If you can handle the encumbrance, there are plenty of high density instruments and furniture. If you're willing to start a fortress to produce something, or use adv-fort, you should try trap components in the best quality materials you can find. From my experience even glass ones are bloody good fun.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 09:01:02 pm »

They take a hefty amount of Strength to wield without over-encumbering you, but Corpses of large foes do sizable amounts of damage. My vampire Adventurer was able to pulp body parts into Gore with only a Dabbling rank in Misc. Weapon skill.

Arguably one of the best weapons is to use a Coffin, and then fill it with the bodies of those you've killed, thereby increasing the weight, and by association its power. Hilarious, practical, and pretty damn metal all in one package.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 09:50:50 pm »

Shield is the best because you should always have one available.

Smak64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 01:16:02 pm »

From personal experience I've been finding--oddly enough-- a barn owl corpse to be pretty powerful.

I don't even know why I started using it. I was playing a goblin adventurer, killed a barn owl, and just decided it was my new weapon.
Whenever someone gets hit over the head with it, it ever drives the skull through the brain for a kill right then and there or chips the skull and knocks them out.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 01:42:49 pm »

Serrated disks rarely get a one shot, but almost always open a major artery and tear tendons and motor nerves. They're a slow but certain death. If you're trying to maximize misc weapon gain rather than optimize damage output right away, these would be ideal weapons. You can deal a mortal wound and disable their ability to attack, so the target is already dead but still standing so you can slash as much and as cruelly as you like until the inevitable. What's more these are light enough to carry multiples for throwing. If they don't finish off a fleeing enemy with one hit, he'll leave a convenient blood trail to follow later, perhaps to his corpse.

Enormous corkscrews are a little heavier, multigrasp, and get one-shots pretty regularly. Just drilling your enemies to death makes them fun.

All trap components have the drawback that you can't attack/dodge with them; if you try, all your attacks will be skipped, including attacks from other sources.

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 10:02:48 pm »

Slade statues.

NorkasAradel

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 10:38:15 pm »

Coffin full of corpses.
Bonus points if are a necromancer, because then you can throw it at your enemies and play pokemon animate a ton of corpses right in their face.
Quote from: Announcement Screen
Kasat Osmandonu, Ghostly Human Bard has risen and is haunting the fortress!
At least his moaning and chain rattling will be in key and hopefully entertaining.

Redman the Communist

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:LIGHT] [SPHERE:HEALING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 12:21:59 pm »

Rip the enemy's limbs off and beat them to death with it. Or steal tons of skeletons from a tomb, equip as many as you want, and go on a rampage, more skeletons means more fun.

You get more fun if the skeletons are on fire, or if you are on fire.
A light cannot fade by darkness
it will shine even in the darkest corners of the world.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 12:31:14 pm »

...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 02:10:08 pm »

Ammo counts as misc. object user when used in melee, and it's great at chipping bones and piercing skulls.  It also makes a great throwing weapon.  When you take into account the time it takes to fire an arrow or shoot a crossbow, you're almost always better off throwing away the bow and playing darts instead.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 03:44:23 pm »

Ammo counts as misc. object user when used in melee, and it's great at chipping bones and piercing skulls.  It also makes a great throwing weapon.  When you take into account the time it takes to fire an arrow or shoot a crossbow, you're almost always better off throwing away the bow and playing darts instead.
The encumbrance of keeping a supply makes them unfeasible for players. Thrown bolts and arrows are always retrievable, so you don't have to carry dozens of them.

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 09:57:51 am »

Coffin full of corpses.
Bonus points if are a necromancer, because then you can throw it at your enemies and play pokemon animate a ton of corpses right in their face.

I've never tried to find a coffin in adventure mode.  Where do I find our reliably?  Will a wooden coffin be worth it? Or can you reliably wield a stone coffin? 

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 05:46:39 pm »

I find that throwing furniture usually works extremely well, especially gold thrones, but they are really heavy and slow you down immensely.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 09:13:38 pm »

So yet another suggestion that sounds cool, but isn't feasible for adventurers' purposes. On the other extreme, a simple copper coin has everything you need in a throwing weapon.
Pages: [1] 2 3