Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moddind symbols for clear civ/group naming ("The Acrid Anarchist State")  (Read 2574 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I wonder if you guys can participate in this discussion and share your findings and ideas to expand on it.

I was always very confused when I was checking legends/in-game news from outpost liaison. Most of the names made no sense.
So I decided to make a small tweak for myself to easily distinguish human, dwarven, goblin and elven civs and groups.

Example from legends:

What's actually in the code:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, there is something I am not very proud of (namely "hacks" in a form of two-word "words" like "underground realm" or "anarchist state"), and I did have to add a few extra words, however it does make it MUCH easier ot understand what is going on in the history after that.

I am currently at work and I am not at the peak of my creativity, so if you guys want to share what else can be used to name human/elven/goblin/dwarven kingdoms and/or groups, I would appreciate it.

For me, dwarves have that monarchist vibe, people are republicans/local rulership type without global government, goblins are despotic/anarchist and elves are tribal.

P.S. I was very surprised to find that the word !!MAGMA!! is missing from DF word definitions.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:55:01 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kochano

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Moddind symbols for clear civ/group naming ("The Acrid Anarchist State")
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:28:39 am »

I like it; it does make more sense.  I think I may implement something similar for my mod.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 12:06:38 pm »

Wouldnt adding the race as an adjective make it more clear? If only elves have tribes and packs, why not call it "elven tribe" and "elven pack"; while dwarves who only have empires, mountain kingdoms and underground realms have "dwarven" empires, kingdoms and realms?

With Twbt the text length is not that important anymore... you know me, I'm all about user friendliness. It has to be idiot-proof. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 05:18:15 pm »

That's the same idea. I would find it cool if you implemented something like that in Masterwork.

Make sure to do it before I trademark the word "tribe" :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 07:29:47 am »

"Deons tribe" ? :P

Implement into Masterwork... sure. Once I do have a running Masterwork Mod. ^^ I need to kick myself into the arse and start working on that.

Btw, I'll be in Russia in a month, but only for a stopover in Moscow. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 05:17:39 am »

Neat. Careful with disease protection. Make sure to wear face mask in public areas, we have a huge outbreak of H1N1 (and flu in general, the epidemic threshold is 80-90% higher than allowed by maximum standards), the only good news is that my son does not have to go to school for a month already since a lot of schools closed down, so he enjoys free holidays.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 05:50:08 pm »

Apologies for necroing this thread, but have you worked on this at all since this thread was posted, Deon? I love the idea, but when applied it has some odd effects on my game. Specifically, I noticed that when I tried to engrave something (or choose an embark symbol) on a sufficiently large world, a nameless instrument would be in the list of objects at the top. I assume this is the case because the new words don't have accompanying translations in language_DWARF/ELF/etc, and I'm guessing that when generating a random instrument it tries to pick one of your new words for the instrument and can't find the translation. I was hoping you generated some dwarvish/elvish/etc words.

Perhaps I'm just hitting the limits of my understanding of modding, and this is an easy fix. Or perhaps I coincidentally trigged a vanilla bug for every world gen with this mod and avoided it in every world gen without. I don't know, but it was worth asking if you do.

Great idea, though.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 07:13:35 pm »

nah you nailed it. the new words just don't have a string of dwarven burping attached to them, so they come up as blanks whenever the language actually gets used

the fastest way to see it in action is in two-part civilization names that translate only into one word