Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turns out, my best fortresses are almost always...  (Read 725 times)

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
Turns out, my best fortresses are almost always...
« on: March 19, 2007, 03:10:00 am »

...reclaims. I usually make a new fortress, play it a bit until something nasty/unexpected shows up (large ambush by the wells?) that I don't feel like tackling. I ditch the fortress, come back few days later, reclaim, and voila! A new settlement that will run at least till the next update.

(on a side note, it's fun when I leave with merchant on site and find their goods still lying on the trade depot)

Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Re: Turns out, my best fortresses are almost always...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 07:38:00 am »

I don't like reclaiming. One reason for that is that I like designing new fortresses  :)
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »

To me reclaiming feels too easy, too much like a cop-out when it's done on purpouse like that.  You could argue that the dwarves 'ran back to civilization to get reinforcements the next season' but...

It just feels too easy, you get too many points to play with that way and too many dwarves to start with.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »

true, but when i want to design a huge fortress quickly, i'll send in a suicide squad of miners, then reclaim the massive thing that they dug out.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »

Huh, suicide squad of miners... that's an interesting strategy.  Wonder why I've never thought of that.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »

Hm... I've never had a fortress I wanted to return to. I usually get sick of them.

Now perhaps it would be cool to reclaim someone else's fortress by swapping Save files, especially if I didn't have a screenshot of their fortress so it would be a surprise.

We could create a section on the wiki (called "Pot Luck" or "Lost and Found"?) for saved fortresses that were saved and/or abandoned at interesting points. (I wouldn't want a fortress that was already mined out for 100 dwarves. I'd prefer something that had the stamp of the original player on it, but left room for me to expand...)

Geez, so many ways to play this game and never enough time!!

qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

If the fortress survives the first year without any major disasters, I don't reclaim it, either. Either I become too attached to it and get mad after losing it or don't want to bother with lenghty reclaims, which can be rather tiresome.
Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.