Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: O.o mutant attack cows!  (Read 1312 times)

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
O.o mutant attack cows!
« on: March 20, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »

I have some pet cows wandering around my fortress, not with their owner...

I have been getting lots of kobold thieves..

The wierd part is the cows seem to be guarding my entrance and have killed many kobolds... Most cows are herbivores. Maybe these have some elephant DNA in them?  ;)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: O.o mutant attack cows!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:25:00 pm »

sounds like a load of bull.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »

What?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »

It's a joke son.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 06:47:00 pm »

I didn't know women could be the 'son' of someone :P

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 07:55:00 pm »

now, i admit it wasnt very funny.  but it was at least worth a groan and maybe throwing a shoe at me as i run out of the room.

mutant attack cows (or bulls, as the case may be), on the other hand, are danm funny.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

The only good pun is a bad pun.  If the pun invites groans, stones, or broken bones, you've done your work properly.

But a pun also has to be obvious.  A load of bull, while a good pun in verbal form, doesn't work too well online.  Besides, everyone knows ox jokes are better.  Get it?  Ox jokes?  It's a play on ox yokes!  Ha ha, I kill myself.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 08:16:00 pm »

Hmm... that's 2/3's of a pun... P.U.

lolzorz   :D

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

Well, I thought the "load of bull" joke was easily understandable (:P) and worked rather nicely  :)

As for the mutant cows:

quote:
:O
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 01:24:00 am »

The real fault is that the the thief AI is really dumb.  I've even had wild elephants detect them.  From what I can tell, they attack whomever or whatever detects it, which, of course, if an elephant it ends with a squish.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »

i dont think thats true.  i've had thieves detected by things like deer and elephants and such, and they just wander a few steps away and then vanish again.  (at least in the newest version, in the old ones they would be permanently revealed).

Even domestic animals, they seem to avoid if possible.  Kobolds seem to walk around my cats and dogs, and only get in fights with them if they cant avoid them.

There must be an awfully thick pack of aggressive moo-moos holding the enterance to that fort!

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »

Three to five, always in close proximity. mini-herd, I guess. the hallway is 5 wide, with my usual door-wall-door-wall-door (three 1 wide passages making a 9x9 door grid) going to the river. that's where they find them and have fun.

Since I dug that fortification area below it the cows seem to have left though x.x you can still see the blood from their last attack.

[ March 21, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie ]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »

"Yes, welcome to the Dwarfen stronghold of forteyfort, friend Human.  We have many things to trade.  

"Enjoy our architecture on the way to the Trade Depot.  Here is where some of our bovines like to loiter.

"Slaughter house?  No, the slaughter house is far from here.  Why do you ask?  Blood?  What blood?  Oh, that blood?  Why thats nothing at all.  Nothing of consequense, really.

"Dont be silly, the cows arent looking meanicingly at you at all.  Thats absurd."

....ominous mooing....

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »

LOL!

You're good.

only one problem: the humans are attacking that same fortress right now... about eight squads (no kidding).  they wont attack they just sit at their campfires across the river... thankfully I set up a few channels and levers just for this very reason...

They want fire, I'll give them fire. *Pulls lever while laughing maniachly*  (What? I am an engineer after all...)

[ March 21, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie ]