Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Unofficial Linux Lazy Newb Pack  (Read 85653 times)

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial Linux Lazy Newb Pack
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2016, 01:20:17 am »

I was setting up SoundSense for the first time and of course it needed to download the sound files. There was a Java error about a missing folder so I had a look.

../df_linux/sounds exists but ../df_linux/sounds/packs does not.

As soon as I created the df_linux/sounds/packs folder and restarted SoundSense it immediately started getting the sound files, albeit very, very slowly. Total download size is  347Mb.

EDIT : I did discover that SoundCense is looking for ../df_linux/sounds too instead of ../df_linux/sounds/packs. It may be simpler to edit where SoundSense is expecting to download its files to.

Another issue is an error thrown by SoundCense...

Code: [Select]
Can't find custom attr constructor image: /home/daniel/df/LNP/utilities/soundcense/NLog.dll mtoken: 0x0a0003a6
Can't find custom attr constructor image: /home/daniel/df/LNP/utilities/soundcense/NLog.dll mtoken: 0x0a0003a6
Unhandled loader error: 8, (null) System.ServiceModel, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 (null)
* Assertion: should not be reached at loader.c:298

Stacktrace:

at <unknown> <0xffffffff>
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.MonoCustomAttrs.IsDefinedInternal (System.Reflection.ICustomAttributeProvider,System.Type) <0xffffffff>
Unhandled loader error: 8, (null) System.ServiceModel, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 (null)
* Assertion: should not be reached at loader.c:298

/home/daniel/df/LNP/utilities/soundcense/soundcense.sh: line 2: 16913 Aborted                 mono SoundCenSeGTK.exe

Now I think I have Mono installed (Mint 18) but this error was thrown from the LNP Utilities screen without DF running. Is this expected behaviour or do I need to check something?

daniel@Caselabs-S8 ~ $ mono -V
Mono JIT compiler version 4.2.1 (Debian 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
TLS:           __thread
SIGSEGV:       altstack
Notifications: epoll
Architecture:  amd64
Disabled:      none
Misc:          softdebug
LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
GC:            sgen
daniel@Caselabs-S8 ~ $
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:04:21 pm by DanielCoffey »
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2016, 07:11:41 pm »

hm, 43.05 update expected any time soon?
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2016, 07:40:44 pm »

You can help by testing dfhack alpha for bugs, crashes and save corruption.

But yeah, should be soon-ish.

Turtoksimal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2017, 02:52:52 pm »

For everyone using LUbuntu 16.04.1 x64 (works probably also on Ubuntu and the oteher Ubuntu's), these are the steps i had to do to make LinuxLNP-0.43.03-r04 play like it should:

sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libsdl-ttf2.0-0:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libopenal1:i386

for some reason some parts of LNP prefer xterm and cannot find any other terminal:

sudo apt-get install xterm

now create a folder and unpack the tar-file into it, go into the folder and start LNP:

./startlnp

it will configure some stuff, you will have to choose xterm at some point.

The startscript configures some stuff to make DwarfTherapist access the memory of DwarfFortress. I think that is why LNP asks you for your password somewhere in the starting process. This has not worked for me.

I had to set some ptrace configuration manually:

sudo your-favorite-editor /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf

change:

kernel.yama.ptrace_scope = 1

to:

kernel.yama.ptrace_scope = 0

this will be active after restarting the system.

If you cannot wait to start it (like me) then do this in the terminal where you want to start LNP:

echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope

it took me some hours to find this out. I hope it might be some help to someone.

Also: all of this works with /bin/sh being pointed to dash (as contrary to bash) and you don't have to start your stuff with sudo and root rights, which is a very bad idea in general.

DwarfFortress RULES!!!!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2017, 07:08:05 pm »

Though I'm not sure launching just the DT with sudo is worse than giving all apps ability to access each other memory (guessing, if that disables DT sudo), that's pretty nice set of instructions, especially to have in one place - didn't know or still not remember about changing ptrace_scope, myself.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2017, 06:59:04 am »

I had to set some ptrace configuration manually:

sudo your-favorite-editor /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf

change:

kernel.yama.ptrace_scope = 1

to:

kernel.yama.ptrace_scope = 0

this will be active after restarting the system.
There is a better way!! Change into the DwarfTherapist directory and "sudo setcap cap_sys_ptrace=ep DwarfTherapist". This will disable ptrace access for DT only.

The difference is that "kernel.yama.ptrace_scope = 0" will allow all software in your session to access memory space allocated to other apps, meaning that some hacked internet browser site/script can exploit some security flaw in another running app on your machine, and allow long-term infection. It would not matter if you were playing DF or not, the risk exists while ptrace is disabled. A purpose of ptrace protection is to prevent malicious software from being able to inject malware code into other running software.

By only allowing ptrace access to DwarfTherapist, you are minimizing the risk. You can go through the DT source code and see what it is capable of.

Though I'm not sure launching just the DT with sudo is worse than giving all apps ability to access each other memory (guessing, if that disables DT sudo), that's pretty nice set of instructions, especially to have in one place - didn't know or still not remember about changing ptrace_scope, myself.
Running DT with sudo is *much* safer than disabling all ptrace protection, for the reasons above.

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Turtoksimal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2017, 02:58:33 pm »

There is a better way!! Change into the DwarfTherapist directory and "sudo setcap cap_sys_ptrace=ep DwarfTherapist". This will disable ptrace access for DT only.

I am aware of that one. I tried it out, even with ..cap_sys_ptrace=eip. I checked the values with:

getcap ./DwarfTherapist
DwarfTherapist = cap_sys_ptrace+eip

As you see, the values are set but it is not working. I still get the errors:

2017-Jan-22 20:11:27.109 ERROR core READ_RAW: "Operation not permitted" READING 4 BYTES FROM "0x09c41bbc" TO 0x7fff24527280 [src/dfinstancelinux.cpp:166] (read_raw)
2017-Jan-22 20:11:27.109 ERROR core attach: Operation not permitted attaching to PID 9773 [src/dfinstancelinux.cpp:96] (attach)
2017-Jan-22 20:11:27.109 ERROR core Unable to open "/proc/9773/mem" [src/dfinstancelinux.cpp:148] (read_raw_ptrace)

and on the GUI:

A fort has not been loaded. ...

I tried to find information about why it might not be working on Ubuntu but so far i was unsuccessful.

A purpose of ptrace protection is to prevent malicious software from being able to inject malware code into other running software.

Of course you are absolutly right and i had not considered the danger of this setting before.

By the way, i upgraded to Ubuntu 10.14 Ubuntu 16.10 in the hope that it could solve my problem. It did not.

But i found out that you have to make some changes in df_linux/distro_fixes.sh. The place for zlib1 changed.

On line 24 i had to add: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu /lib/i386-linux-gnu/ or you will get errors when you try to start LNP, something like:

Could not find a 32-bit zlib

Maybe some one could put the change into the LNP-package.

So far i will still try to find out why DwarfTherapist cannot be started with ptrace settings. I really need DwarfTherapist!

EDIT: Typo OS version, wrong path
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:19:50 pm by Turtoksimal »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2017, 03:00:44 pm »

On line 24 i had to add: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu or you will get errors when you try to start LNP, something like:

Could not find a 32-bit zlib

Maybe some one could put the change into the LNP-package.

Someone did, 5 months ago. It's possible that you're using an old pack, or that your pack hasn't been updated since then.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Turtoksimal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2017, 03:37:44 pm »

Someone did, 5 months ago. It's possible that you're using an old pack, or that your pack hasn't been updated since then.

WOW !! that was a really fast answer!!

Sorry, i was wrong, i messed up the path, it actually is: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/

I downloaded the package from here. Is that the right place?

I downloaded it right now and tested it just to be sure and it is now the right path.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2017, 08:52:00 am »

By the way, i upgraded to Ubuntu 10.14 in the hope that it could solve my problem. It did not.
Typo? Since I'd think that'd be a downgrade from Lubuntu 16.04

Turtoksimal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2017, 03:15:09 pm »

Typo? Since I'd think that'd be a downgrade from Lubuntu 16.04

Oh, sorry, you are right.

cat /etc/issue
says: Ubuntu 16.10

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2017, 03:29:42 pm »

WOW !! that was a really fast answer!!

Sorry, i was wrong, i messed up the path, it actually is: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/

I downloaded the package from here. Is that the right place?

I downloaded it right now and tested it just to be sure and it is now the right path.
Heh, I must have checked the forums just at the right time. I didn't even notice how recent that post was.

That is indeed the right place for the pack that this thread is about. I probably missed the thread title and thought you were talking about an older pack, which a lot of people reported issues with since it used an older version of that script. Anyway, feel free to make a pull request if adding /lib/i386-linux-gnu is necessary for you, since it might help others as well.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Ikkitsyne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2017, 09:48:32 am »

Hi, i was trying to get LNP working for a while, but as you may  guess without success and i decided to write here. So problem is that i can run DF and DFHack but when i try to launch LNP i get this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And i get this error whenever i use latest LNP from this thread or any other version (40.2 ;42.2), i assume that problem is  with PyLNP itself, but i was not able to find any solution or information about this. So any info/help appreciated. Thanks is advance.

gentz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2017, 04:36:48 pm »

Hello folks,
PyLNP 0.12a (latest) has an issue, armok vision doesn't work when launched from the startlnp.

It simply outputs the following into the terminal
Found path: /home/gentz/Documents/df/LNP/utilities/armok_vision/Armok Vision.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/gentz/Documents/df/LNP/utilities/armok_vision/Armok Vision_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/gentz/Documents/df/LNP/utilities/armok_vision/Armok Vision_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/gentz/Documents/df/LNP/utilities/armok_vision/Armok Vision_Data/Mono/etc'
displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.5
client has 4 screens
displaymanager screen (0)(VGA-1): 1920 x 1080
Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs

The armok_vision log file (~/.config/unity3d/DefaultCompany/Armok\ Vision/Player.log) contains this:
/home/gentz/Documents/df/LNP/utilities/armok_vision/Armok Vision.x86_64: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-dri3.so.0: undefined symbol: xcb_send_request_with_fds
_send_request_with_fds

Selecting FBConfig
GLX_FBCONFIG_ID=186
GLX_BUFFER_SIZE=32
GLX_DOUBLEBUFFER=1
GLX_RED_SIZE=8
GLX_GREEN_SIZE=8
GLX_BLUE_SIZE=8
GLX_ALPHA_SIZE=8
GLX_DEPTH_SIZE=24
GLX_STENCIL_SIZE=8
GLX_SAMPLES_ARB=0
GLX_SAMPLE_BUFFERS_ARB=0
GLX_STEREO=0
GLX_CONFIG_CAVEAT=NONE

Desktop is 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
XError: GLXBadFBConfig (error 178, opcode 155/34, serial 54, XID 03a00002, display 0x2f3f850
XError: GLXBadFBConfig (error 178, opcode 155/34, serial 57, XID 03a00002, display 0x2f3f850
Initialize engine version: 5.4.0f3 (a6d8d714de6f)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1

Furthur digging shows that running "~/Documents/df/LNP/utilities/armok_vision/Armok\ Vision.x86" and "~/Documents/df/LNP/utilities/armok_vision/Armok\ Vision.x86_64" from the terminal does work.

Renaming libxcb-dri3.so.0 to libxcb-dri3.so.0.bak gives this when run from the lnp but works fine when run from the console:
/home/gentz/Documents/df/LNP/utilities/armok_vision/Armok Vision.x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-dri3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

For some reason Armok is using outdated libraries when run with the lnp.

Another issue is that when it runs it leaves many blocks transparent, others pitch black and ect. Its also performing at less than 10fps.

Hopefully someone can help fix this for me.
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:42:12 pm by gentz »

nickburns

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2017, 08:55:16 pm »

Hello all,

Near identical issue to Ikkitsyne.
I do have PyLNP.user, I have the "placeholder paths" with Michael in them and my _tkinter.TclError is unknown color name.
I have seen many references to this issue but nothing as a definitive answer.
Im running Xubuntu 16.04.1, the latest LNP 0.43.03-r04 and python 2.7.12//3.5.2 and python-tk
Most solutions I've seen either dont work, or reference files I dont have.
I get the exact same issue launching PyLNP by itself, but Vanilla Dwarf Fortress will launch correctly.
Any thoughts or assistance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:17:05 pm by nickburns »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10