Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Unofficial Linux Lazy Newb Pack  (Read 85223 times)

Enay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial Linux Lazy Newb Pack
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 09:28:05 am »

DOWNLOAD:  HERE

I've cobbled together all the components of LNP for Linux and thought others might want to try it out.  Your mileage may vary, but everything I've thrown at it seems to work.  Just run ./startlnp to launch.

Included are:

• PyLNP 0.10f
  • DF 0.42.06
  • DFHack 0.42.06-alpha2
  • Dwarf Therapist 37.0.0
  • TWBT 5.58
  • Soundsense (you'll need to download the sound files yourself from within the application)
  • Armok Vision 0.8.0
  • All the graphics packs you know and love

Changes in 0.42.06-r03:
  • Updated DFHack to 0.42.06-alpha2
  • Updated TWBT to 5.58
  • Fixed typo preventing LNP from checking for updates

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 08:05:32 am »

Does that include distro_fixes.sh (from here)?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Enay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 11:30:01 pm »

Does that include distro_fixes.sh (from here)?

Yes, distro_fixes.sh is included with the package.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 10:23:32 am »

Many thanks for your work. The craving to start a new fortress has been growing in me steadily, and now that I have this...

DeDeRon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 10:41:56 am »

I recently put together an automated build script (for archlinux) ...

i don't use arch anymore but an arch/gentoo build file is always a good starter. thanks a lot!

HarryFromMarydelDE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 02:46:27 pm »

I got the following error attempting to run startlnp:

Code: [Select]
./PyLNP: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: failed to map segment

A little googling revealed that this error is caused by /tmp being mounted noexec. Remounting it as exec fixed the error. I won't say how long I've been using linux but as a hint my first installation came in the mail parcel post in a (large) box of floppy disks. My fstab has followed me over probably at least a half dozen computers and quite possible several dozen distribution changes, so I have no idea at what point the noexec mount option crept into /tmp, but if it's relevant I use Gentoo at the moment.

Anyhow, if anyone else has this error then remounting /tmp exec will fix it. Supposedly setting TMPDIR to another directory for the program having the issue fixes it as well, which is actually probably a good idea since I'm pretty sure I made /tmp noexec for some security reason or other, but I'm lazy.

-Harry
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 02:51:23 pm by HarryFromMarydelDE »

HarryFromMarydelDE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 04:06:30 pm »

I am starting this by running ./startlnp.

When I click on "Play Dwarf Fortress" I get a pop-up titled "Tileset not found" with the message: "Not found: data/art/Phoebus_16x16.png".

I updated the mlocate database and tried locate on the file:

harry@funjet:~/bin/df$ locate Phoebus_16x16.png
/home/harry/bin/df/LNP/graphics/Phoebus/data/art/Phoebus_16x16.png
/home/harry/bin/df/df_linux/data/art/Phoebus_16x16.png

If I change the tileset I get the same error only with "Phoebus_16x16.png" replaced by whatever tileset I changed it to.

I don't know if this is relevant, but stderr.txt in the directory with startlnp contains the following lines:

ERROR: Unable to read current colors
  File "<string>", line 12, in <module>
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/core.lnp", line 67, in __init__
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/core.lnp", line 134, in initialize_ui
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/tkgui.tkgui", line 174, in __init__
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/tkgui.tkgui", line 274, in create_tab
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/tkgui.tab", line 30, in __init__
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/tkgui.graphics", line 39, in read_data
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/tkgui.graphics", line 296, in read_colors
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/core.colors", line 121, in get_installed_file
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/core.colors", line 46, in get_colors
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/core.log", line 99, in e
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/core.log", line 85, in log
Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/threading", line 810, in __bootstrap_inner
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/threading", line 763, in run
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/core.update", line 39, in perform_update_check
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/core.update", line 140, in update_needed
  File "/home/michael/Desktop/df/python_lnp/build/lnp/out00-PYZ.pyz/core.download", line 41, in download_str
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, gaierror found

I have no user "michael" on my system. I erased stderr.txt and reran the program and the new stderr.txt had the same contents, so it isn't just left over from when the LNP was packaged.

-Harry

DeDeRon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 04:20:08 pm »

"Not found: data/art/Phoebus_16x16.png".

i have the same problem. i solved it by using LD_PRELOAD for my zlib:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libz.so.1 ./df

if you use dfhack than run:

PRELOAD_LIB=/usr/lib/libz.so.1 ./dfhack

(i don't know why dfhack needs its own dedicated variable for this.).

HarryFromMarydelDE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 04:41:01 pm »

I solved the problem, it seems that if you don't enable dfhack on the "DFHack" tab, distro_fixes.sh is not run. I do actually want DFHack and only had it disabled because I was trying to start from basic since I haven't played the game in several years. Once I turned DFHack on everything started fine.

-Harry

HarryFromMarydelDE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 04:43:17 pm »

I was trying to start it from the LNP launcher; I believe the LNP launcher is supposed to run distro_fixes.sh which handles the preloading automatically, but apparently it is only running it for dfhack not for straight Dwarf Fortress.

-Harry

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2016, 06:38:44 pm »

AFAIK, it's because DFHack itself uses the LD_PRELOAD mechanism to load itself, and I'm guessing they don't want conflicts with existing LD_PRELOAD values, so they bring it in with a different name. (Although AFAICT, the dfhack script seems like it should apply this modification on its own these days.)

I was trying to start it from the LNP launcher; I believe the LNP launcher is supposed to run distro_fixes.sh which handles the preloading automatically, but apparently it is only running it for dfhack not for straight Dwarf Fortress.

-Harry

PyLNP itself does not apply any fixes (it does not know what needs to be applied; it just runs the ./df or ./dfhack scripts). The ./dfhack script applies distro_fixes.sh automatically; ./df doesn't. (Also, distro_fixes.sh doesn't actually apply anything for the regular df script anyway, AFAICT...)

IIRC the syntax in question just sets an environment variable for the duration of the command, and that *is* something I can do from Python - but as I understand it, the exact things that need to be applied may be different depending on the computer it's running on. I'd need someone to tell me how to get the necessary information in order to build it into PyLNP.

As for the stderr.txt message, the call stack shows it was unable to check for pack updates. It looks like it couldn't look up the IP for DFFD; maybe it couldn't get to the Internet? You can turn off the check in the File menu.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 04:05:27 pm »

It's great to see this on linux!

Dwarf Therapist isn't working on linux mint/ubuntu though (.42.06-r03)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 04:14:13 pm »

(There's been a Linux pack for a while, actually - this one is just replacing the older, currently-unmaintained one.)

What architecture are you using? (i.e. 32-bit/64-bit)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 04:21:57 pm »

I've switched everything to linux and this is the only one that has the current DF version. It's still great to see it on linux.

64-bit.

Update: I found out that if I run LNP as SUDO then DT works, well it at least connects. If I don't run as SUDO then DT is broke.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:32:36 pm by Darthlawsuit »

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 04:52:53 am »

You are fabulous, thank you!

Is there a github or other source code repo that one may follow?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10