Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can I clothe my gremlins?  (Read 3658 times)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Can I clothe my gremlins?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 06:27:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can't actually get real goblin visitors. The visitors you do get will be from non-goblin civilizations, and thus have non-goblin ethics.
Even if you did though it wouldn't let them butcher sapients because it's the fortress that assigns that job and has the ethics, not the worker. Toady himself has said this several times. He did however make it so people with elven ethics suffer deep psychological trauma from cutting down trees. So that's nice.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 07:08:51 pm »

Patrick, have you tried breeding out the wild in the gremlin? If you can train them, couldn't you eventually breed and raise a tame gremlin? I'm probably missing something.

Also, forget clothing! If you are going to deal with a passive aggressive population of semi-wild midgets you might as well give them sharp objects for defense.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 04:02:51 am »

Breeding is not an option, since all 3 are female, and two of them non reproductive on top of that. I've got 7 active gremlin traps, but I haven't caught any new ones for 20 or so years. A concern with gremlin breeding is that it's almost impossible to control once started, since civilian alert burrows negate individual ones and gremlins pass through locked doors without any problem. Stopping breeding once started probably requires butchering of adults and/or physical separation with brick walls or drawbridges (similar to how you keep vampires), but with the additional problem of them needing food and drink. I also expect gremlins to be promiscuous like "other" animals.

I did actually briefly create an all gremlin squad, but they moved sluggishly due to the gold flask. They picked up a shield, but not any weapon, and trained for a month or so before I broke off the experiment. I suspect I would need to relieve kobolds of their daggers to provide gremlins with weapons small enough for them to wield, and I've never been visited by any kobolds. I don't think human carving knifes etc. are considered to be fortress mode weapons, and so wouldn't be wielded as such.
Pages: 1 [2]