Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The mark of greatness?  (Read 2921 times)

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The mark of greatness?
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

Uh ooooooh. Guess who showed up?

That's right ladies and gentlemen, it's my very first kobold thief! Unfortunately for our friend here, he spawned significantly south of the fort, and to make things even worse, the human caravan has arrived, complete with swordsmen, and they are en route to crossing the river as well. However this brings grave tidings as I know that soon after I will begin facing my very first sieges, and I have not dug out a flood of death defense yet, and my military consists of three sworddwarves and six marksdwarves. When can I expect my first siege once this thief dies?

And so it goes like this. The lazy human caravans were taking their sweet time approaching the river, and the thief makes his way across, making everyone (including the sheriff) drop the trade goods and running back like cowards. However, the local Goddess, who I mentioned in a previous post was outside. I drafted her into a one woman militia and almost instantly caused three brown wounds within the first few seconds as well as causing pain. A war dog joined in, and suffered several light and moderate wounds while my Goddess suffered nary a scratch. Business as usual in Menrack

[ March 25, 2007: Message edited by: BoltsFogs ]

he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »

as I implied in your other thread, traps traps and more traps   :)

And happy happy!
(grumbles about her 30th coming up in a month or so)

[ March 25, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

One of my older friends had a nice way of looking at it: when you turn 30, it'll be the very last time you're ever twice as old as someone who is 15.  By the time you hit 45, you're only 50% older than they are!
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »

What is steel, compared to the dwarf that wields it?

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun =)

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2007, 07:12:00 pm »

I think I win the award for funniest thief spawn  :)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2007, 10:09:00 pm »

Supposedly they are being detected when you see them, they 'spawn' before that and head in.

I keep having them magically appear in my dungeon master's bedroom, hes becoming a good fighter just from strangling all the kobold thieves. Apparently my hordes of animals and dwarves can't see them, only my sleeping dungeonmaster can.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
<STRONG>Supposedly they are being detected when you see them, they 'spawn' before that and head in.

I keep having them magically appear in my dungeon master's bedroom, hes becoming a good fighter just from strangling all the kobold thieves. Apparently my hordes of animals and dwarves can't see them, only my sleeping dungeonmaster can.</STRONG>

Hahahaha, priceless. Anywho, my swordsdwarves have risen to competent status (Or maybe higher) and all my marksdwarves are shooting at the range and increasing their exp. A new problem has risen, gluttony. My dwarves, the ravenous beasts, are CONSTANTLY consuming plump helmets, fish, meat, whatever they can get their unsatisfied hands on, and worse yet, they are consuming all my booze at an extremely alarming rate. I have two stills on "endless brew" mode and my drink total has frozen at around ten due to the rapid brewing and consuming of the booze. However, I sense a possible automatic ending provided that my plump helmets hold through, that ending being my brewers growing so experienced, they brew very quickly.

In other news, the human swordsmen that came with the caravan had some of the weirdest names ever. Two of them, Slaughterbuckle and Powergrew proved their names by charging a herd of zombie groundhogs far to the south and rending them to a pulp, while the third swordsman, "Fatheruncles"...let me repeat that again, "Fatheruncles". Don't believe me?

:roll:

I'll post an update tomorrow, and see how my brewing turns out as well as my other pet projects like detailing the entire fort's walls and floors. Oh yes, one of my women went fey. And she claimed the mason's workshop. She made a puzzlebox I believe, consisting of three pieces of wood (Bah, we need to save wood, as trips to the outside forest are taking longer and longer due to the growing distance of live trees). Now what's interesting about this is that she gave birth to a child. (I have around 3-5 married couples in my fort) and the whole time she has carried her baby with her when she went fey. I would have been horrified to see what would have happen if she went insane and berserk. At any rate, she is now a legendary wood crafter (Whoopee    :roll: ) and now we have three artifacts in the fort. BoltsFogs signing out for now

[ March 26, 2007: Message edited by: BoltsFogs ]

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2007, 01:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
<STRONG>Supposedly they are being detected when you see them, they 'spawn' before that and head in.

I keep having them magically appear in my dungeon master's bedroom, hes becoming a good fighter just from strangling all the kobold thieves. Apparently my hordes of animals and dwarves can't see them, only my sleeping dungeonmaster can.</STRONG>

He's probably the only one fat enough to force the kobold to climb around him to get to the loot =P

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »

Has anyone ever had this thought from one of their nobles? Also, my Sheriff has a very fitting name, don't you think?

But seriously, what is this all about? It's weird

Edit: My manager had the same thought about someone. Maybe someone slept on the floor because their bed was too far or something?

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 02:36:00 pm »

I'm not 100% sure on what triggers the pretentious sleeping arrangements bit, but I think it might be related to masterpiece furniture. When I first started playing I'd put masterpieces in common bedrooms just because my carpenter/mason would clutter my stockpiles with tons of masterpieces, and I noticed my nobles getting the pretentious lessers thought all the time (even if they had better bedrooms than any of the common ones). Once I realized that masterpiece furniture made rooms unaffordable once renting started I stopped using masterpieces for common rooms and have never seen that thought since.

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »

Wow. How self centered. Stupid nobles, if it were up to me, I'd tie them all to stakes outside and let the siegers have at them, or the local zombie population.

UPDATE: The cabal of the miners, four agreed. The Doomsday Project has been given the green light. Each tunnel would be five spaces wide, with the middle used for siphoning the "Cleansing Ritual" out into the open world. One tunnel would be located north, while the other would be located south. The legendary mason, having agreed to the plan, would supply the four dwarves with the floodgates that would be needed. And now, The Doomsday Project has commenced, meant to protect the very dwarves they loved, while cleansing the outside world in the holy magma they use to forge their crafts and make their living. What was once a tool, is now becoming a weapon... a weapon of mass destruction on a grand scale. It will take time to hew through the earth and reach the dreaded holy river of magma, but they must not fail. Strike the earth Udib Tinsinews, the very life of the fortress may depend on it...

I'm going to try my hand at the dreaded magma flood of doom, and I'm picking five tiles wide so I can make plans in the future should I need to build past the flow of magma, plus it'll give my three "miners" plenty of experience

Update: Well gang, I may very well be facing my first siege soon. A kobold thief was detected at the entrance, and despite a horde of war dogs chasing her, PLUS A DWARVEN CARAVAN WITH AN AXEDWARF RIGHT IN HER PATH, she managed to escape, and I'm sure she's crying to her kobold brethren and gearing up for war, and The Doomsday Project has only just begun.

Heeeey I just discovered a few cool things. In the civilizations screen, press enter on a highlighted civilization and you see who rules it, what kind of trade agreements you have with it, and etc. Unfortunately, I see that an elite bowman rules the local kobold civilization

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

That thought comes from normal (non-noble and non-legendary) dwarfs who have nicer rooms than the nobles. Legendary dwarfs are exempt from this rule. I just make sure the nobles' rooms are all decked out (usually qualifying as the top two levels of niceness). Then I can engrave the peasants' rooms as well (I just hate them sleeping in raw rock, i mean you wouldn't want to, either!) without nobles getting all pissy. However, I don't mint coins so the normal dwarfs don't have to PAY for those expensive rooms, either...

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2007, 11:49:00 pm »

Alright everyone, sorry for the lack of updates. The year, mainly uneventful, has only had a few significant events, which I shall post in order.

The first one was a cave-in in the food storage section, which was completely unexpected as I could have sworn I made my supports proper. Despite knocking several dwarves unconcious, no casualties are incurred, though it did create quite a bit of cancellation chaos.

My second event, was that one of my craftsdwarves got a possession! However I do not have the workshop she needs, which I am almost certain is a magma kiln or magma glass furnace. She stands at her doorway, slowly getting worse. If she goes insane, let's hope she goes IN her room and not wander in the halls. Or if she goes berserk, my swordsdwarves will finally get in some actual combat experience.

My legendary wood crafter gave birth to her second child. I must ask though, how can she be carrying two children and her artifact around? It is a mystery!

At any rate, here are my stats going into winter, my main problem is a trivial one, which is simply getting the dwarves to do their specified tasks rather than hauling crap around, bunch of freeloaders :P And yes I know how to fix it, I just don't feel like it, though I did make my designated brewers strictly brew and do nothing else, as you can see by my severe lack of drinks.

[ March 28, 2007: Message edited by: BoltsFogs ]

Pages: 1 2 [3]