Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to use a demonic slab?  (Read 5312 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
How to use a demonic slab?
« on: February 03, 2016, 03:26:36 am »

I've got a bunch of questions related to demonic slab. I have a game in v.40.23, where my adventurer was fighting a demon, then changed mind and set to look for a demonic slab. He found it (probably - there are two slabs and one demon left in this world, and I'm not sure I've got the right slab), took it, read it, nothing happened. Now the questions:

1. How to use the slab against a demon?

2. If I bind the demon, is it possible to retire in a fort, and keep it as a pet, so my fortress mode dwarves have a big friend?

3. Slightly related: how to transfer some items from demonic metal to the new fortress? I don't remember if items in inventory of an adventurer are kept. The additional problem is I can drag them only a while before they start wounding my character probably because they are very hot. He is tough (a vamp) but can bleed to death after burning/wounding. I have idea that they will loose their temperature after transfer to fortress mode, and wanted to try it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: How to use a demonic slab?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:00:47 am »

Items you drop in a site will remain in the site.

40.23? Not 40.24 or 42.xx?

Read the slab in front of the demon and it will let you invoke the name to control or banish them. They don't behave right when you retire last time I tried. He just left when I gave up control and ended up leading a war against my civ I think?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 08:03:06 am »

1. Just read the slab once and you'll always be able to use the name on it. What you do with the slab afterward is up to you.

2.No. Your bound demon will still be hostile to everyone, and may even kill your adventurer. If you want to retire temporarily, you can safely leave it at a separate site. Whether that site is populated is up to you.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:57:05 am »

Items you drop in a site will remain in the site.

Great, I will make use of gigantic strength and bring as much goblinite as I can steal.

40.23? Not 40.24 or 42.xx?

No, the game was created with even older version of DF. The reason I keep it is another save, with my fortress, where a Shaft of Enlightenment was built. I haven't used it yet, but I want to before it will be lost forever. Like in version .40.24 and newer. Later I will transfer it to .42.05 or even newer, if the save compatibility still stands.

Read the slab in front of the demon and it will let you invoke the name to control or banish them. They don't behave right when you retire last time I tried. He just left when I gave up control and ended up leading a war against my civ I think?

Oh, I hoped it would be at least neutral. So I should get rid of it. Hm.

1. Just read the slab once and you'll always be able to use the name on it. What you do with the slab afterward is up to you.

So I don't have to carry it with me? Good, it weighs a ton. Well, one-eight of a ton, but still much.

2.No. Your bound demon will still be hostile to everyone, and may even kill your adventurer. If you want to retire temporarily, you can safely leave it at a separate site. Whether that site is populated is up to you.

Damn. Even worse.

Thanks for answers, now I know what to do.

NorkasAradel

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 11:27:06 pm »

spoilers!
Quote from: Announcement Screen
Kasat Osmandonu, Ghostly Human Bard has risen and is haunting the fortress!
At least his moaning and chain rattling will be in key and hopefully entertaining.