Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gem cutting is automatic now?  (Read 9126 times)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
Gem cutting is automatic now?
« on: February 03, 2016, 03:40:56 pm »

It wasn't in .04, but... apparently, it is now?

And I don't think there's an option in the orders menu to make it not automatic. Or is there?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Gem cutting is automatic now?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 04:05:04 pm »

Gem cutting is not automatic. If it does so for you, it's a bug, or you might have put a gemcutting job on repeat somewhere.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

gnidan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 04:26:02 pm »

Are you using dfhack? The dfhack maintainers just released an auto-gem plugin.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 04:35:39 pm »

This is dfhack's new autogem plugin. You can turn it off in workshop orders (o->W->g)

Or editing your dfhack.init (or dfhack.init-example) and removing the "autogem" line.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 05:12:48 pm »

You can turn it off in workshop orders (o->W->g)

But I can't see it there. I've checked, even with a new world.

I'll edit the init, then. Thanks.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 04:41:07 pm »

So annoying, I bet. I keep precious raw gems for moods, and tend to train my gemcutters up on stones before I turn them loose on the diamonds. I want a ☼diamond earring☼, not a +diamond earring+.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 03:38:55 am »

So annoying, I bet. I keep precious raw gems for moods, and tend to train my gemcutters up on stones before I turn them loose on the diamonds. I want a ☼diamond earring☼, not a +diamond earring+.

You can always {forbid} a stack of gems? Pretty sure in DFHack or DF proper you can set up a 'minimum' where Dwarfs no longer use certain things if the stocks are at the minimum level.

Or like others have said, you can disable it through o > W > g

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 01:03:16 pm »

Unfortunately, it still tries to cue up jobs to cut forbidden gems, with all the resulting cancellation spam when it can't find any gems to cut. I discovered this when i dumped some gems to clear out space for stockpiles, and got unending cancellations, until I discovered that they were still forbidden. The plugin is a nice idea, but it needs some refinement.

Edit: And I just discovered that if a moody dwarf grabs a rough gem to put in his artifact, autogems will also continue to schedule cut jobs for those gems, resulting in more cancellation spam. I hope it stops when he's done with his artifact.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:22:44 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 04:03:36 am »

Have you tried setting a gem stockpile linked to the jeweler shop? This could work, wouldn't it?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 01:23:02 am »

I'd also like to say that gaining a craft from a gem cutting job is 5% or less.  Its only raw glass that has a high rate of crafts.  You can still have them train on stone first too, it shouldn't hijack the shop orders and place diamonds over your gabbro cutting.  Or just not build a jewelers shop until you are ready to dedicate it to training one up. 

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 07:38:02 pm »

Umm, yes it will still put in the order for cut diamonds. Except they'll be at the bottom. I don't want 10 repeating gabbro-cutting jobs around the clock. I think the plugin sucks. A plugin for farming? Great. Trading? Dumping? Assigning soldiers? All are annoying, repetitive jobs. The plugin either triggers on player input, or uses a job that is constantly needed. But gem cutting? Take the top ten gems at the top, order them repeated. Most valuable gems cut. Done.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!