Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anybody know when/if it would be possible to reattach limbs?  (Read 2949 times)

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Anybody know when/if it would be possible to reattach limbs?
« on: February 03, 2016, 05:09:03 pm »

I'm aware that becoming a werebeast "fixes" this problem, but I'm wondering if dwarven (or other) medical science will get to the point that it would be possible to reattach a lopped off limb?

I'm mainly asking due to a recent run in adventurer mode, where I tried to take down a necromancer tower on my own. It went rather well, as I chose a hero hammerer. Up until the point that a zombie elf somehow managed to chop off my arm with a carving knife.

I decided the better idea at that point would to be bravely running away, but I made it the point of taking my arm with me (I don't want to have to come back and fight my own arm again).

Later, went back to the nearest town, that happened to have a doctor, and a surgeon  (no diagnoser). I tried talking to them to see if I could get my wounds treated (as I was also stabbed in the kidney), but apparently this isn't possible in ADV mode as of yet either (I talked to diagnosers before).

I get that, at the moment, you can't have your arm/leg reattached to you, but I can imagine it would be possible to do medically, even in the "age" the game is probably represented in. Has anyone suggested this before, or does anybody know of any plans for something like this?

Secondly, does anybody know if there's a way to get proper wound treatment in ADV mode, or if there are any plans to do so?
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody know when/if it would be possible to reattach limbs?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 05:29:38 pm »

I'd assume with one of I'd assume many coming magic releases, as there's no way they'd be anywhere near the level of medical knowledge required to actually do such a thing at the technological level simulated (some quick googling indicates the first time a severed limb was successfully reattached was 1962 :P)

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:00:39 am »

I think a cool option for the future would be to have a non-hostile necromancer re-animate your missing limb, and then have an engineer strap it back onto your body like a fake limb. You can move it and get a strength bonus with it, but it has no feeling and there is a chance that it attacks you every round in combat or something.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:12:28 am by Killgoth »

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 02:06:53 am »

I think Toady mentioned he wants to add medical treatment to adventure mode.  These last few updates he's really been giving love to ADV mode, and is still at it.  He's about to add in adventure mode bone crafting for one.  I know its not what you want, but he is slowly getting there. 

So yeah, your only option is to become a were-beast.  Save, go find a temple, and knock over statues.  If you become a vampire, exit out of hte game and reload.  Were-beast transformations are like clockwork, so you just have to worry about being in town when your "time of the month" hits. 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 02:51:46 am »

lol i thought i was in the lower boards for a second

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 02:58:48 am »

Not quite the same as reattaching a severed arm, but Toady mentioned on Twitter that artificial limbs shouldn't be too difficult to add as we already have crutches. He also said they'd probably start with things like hook hands for 'frankenzombies'.  :)

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 09:51:36 am »

I think a cool option for the future would be to have a non-hostile necromancer re-animate your missing limb, and then have an engineer strap it back onto your body like a fake limb. You can move it and get a strength bonus with it, but it has no feeling and there is a chance that it attacks you every round in combat or something.

I suddenly wonder why I've never seen anything approximating this idea in fantasy...

An acomplished necromancer(living, not a lich) is hewn asunder by a a paladin, his arms and legs chopped off. He is found by his acolytes and survives but is totally immobile... until he resurrects his limbs as zombies in their own right, bound to his own will like normal raised followers and straps them into place.

He could even have a wardrobe of arms and legs. "Hmm, I might need to tear someone apart, I think the werewolf arms today Jeves"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 10:54:47 am »

I suddenly wonder why I've never seen anything approximating this idea in fantasy...

An acomplished necromancer(living, not a lich) is hewn asunder by a a paladin, his arms and legs chopped off. He is found by his acolytes and survives but is totally immobile... until he resurrects his limbs as zombies in their own right, bound to his own will like normal raised followers and straps them into place.
http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Undead_Graft
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 04:24:52 pm »

I'm aware that becoming a werebeast "fixes" this problem, but I'm wondering if dwarven (or other) medical science will get to the point that it would be possible to reattach a lopped off limb?
I get that, at the moment, you can't have your arm/leg reattached to you, but I can imagine it would be possible to do medically, even in the "age" the game is probably represented in. Has anyone suggested this before, or does anybody know of any plans for something like this?

You appear to have an vastly optimistic view of early medicine, specifically surgery.  The nominal break point for DF is around 1400, with a strong Euro-centric bias; medieval level technology. 

You may want to read up some on (US) Civil War battlefield surgery; it's horrific, and yet it is far in advance of medieval levels.  For instance, the Civil War overall death rate for lost arm was 23% with a clean amputation and prompt care.  If things were not cleaned up / sawed off properly before infection could set in, the death rate was about double.  Legs were worse; if you needed your leg off at the thigh the fatality rate was over 53% even if amputated quickly.  This also reflects considerable improvements in training, techniques, and equipment over the course of the war; the wounded in earlier battles were worse off. 
Civil War Amputation statistics
Under the Knife nice summary article from the New York Times
"The Union provided its disabled soldiers with prosthetic limbs made from cork wood, metal or rubber and gave amputees $8 a month as a pension. The Confederacy was unable to be so generous and by 1864 was providing just 10 percent of the needed prostheses. Incredibly, Mississippi’s single greatest state expenditure a year after the war ended was the purchase of artificial limbs for its veterans, which consumed 20 percent of the state’s budget."
The Truth about Civil War Surgery

The first more-or-less successful attempt to reattach a limb (technically known as replantation) wasn't until 1962, and required many operations and two years of recovery. 

So, in summary, reattachment of limbs in reality didn't happen before 1962.  Even in the 1860s, the chance to even *survive* loss of a major limb long enough to get a clean stump for a prosthetic was grim; and this was with specialized training, tools, and anesthesia.  DF's roughly 1400s technology would have no chance of limb reattachment without fantasy magic, and the game is *already* far to lenient in not killing off dwarves when they get injured. 

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 05:10:24 pm »

I suppose so. Just was curious if it could happen, because magic and alchemy nonsense potentially coming soon.

Just today had a farmer get into a fight with an elephant man. He got away, being rescued by the butcher, but his foot was exploded. (Explodes into gore type of explode.)

Got UristMcOnTheSpot doctor to somehow put his foot back to gether, and somehow the farmer is walking without a crutch just over an in game month later. (Both his shoulders are still set and healing, and he can't drink, but he can walk.) The only thing wrong with his foot now is a lack of toenails.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 11:26:40 am »

If only there was a mushroom that cures were-curses.  Get infected by a were, transform to regrow missing limbs, and transform back hungry to eat this edible mushroom.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 06:02:10 am »

Simple enough to have a syndrome that triggers a body change with a limited duration.