Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smarter manager  (Read 461 times)

bolemeus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Smarter manager
« on: February 04, 2016, 09:38:14 am »

Right now the manager really doesn't do everything I'd expect a manager to do in a fortress.
I'm using the LNP so I became heavily reliant on plugins like workflow to regulate stocks of booze and whatnot, and I find it very difficult to play with just the manager.

I do think a lot of the functionality workflow offers should be handled by the manager instead. Now the workflow plugin does its job whether or not you even have a manager. I want the fortress to come to a crawl when the manager is incapacitated in one way or the other.

I read that Toady is planning to add more functionality to the manager soon, in perticular the ability to specify the details of a job.
For example 'make 10 large steel helmets' instead of 'make 10 helmets' (helmets for humans instead of dwarves)

I think it would be a nice addition if you could tell the manager to make sure there are always between 50 and 100 prepared meals in the fortress. Editing the details of such a job and you might be able to change it in making sure there are always between 50 and 100 roasts (luxury meals) in the fortress.

This would offcourse only work if your bookkeeper has enough precision. If the bookkeeper only knows that there are around ?100? prepared meals in the fortress, the manager could't do his job well enough to trigger a job in the kitchen when it is needed. The number of prepared meals might fall really low before the bookkeeper notices and the manager would queue up some more jobs in the kitchen.

The way it works now is that you have to do a lot of micromanagement that I think the manager should handle.

bolemeus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Smarter manager
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 10:18:57 am »

I forgot one point.

Also, when I've linked a stockpile to give to a workshop, I don't want the manager to queue up items in that workshop that are made from materials that are disabled in the stockpiles linked to give to that workshop.

For example, I like to link some stockpiles to my forges to make iron bars, pig iron bars and steel bars, but when I tell the manager to make 30 bronze bars he queues them in these forges as well, messing up steel production

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:41:05 pm »

All of this has been suggested before. I like it. That stuff for prepared meals would also be good for clay and sand collecting.

Also, it's a bit ridiculous that you have to make the collect sand and collect clay orders from the workshops. It forces you to build an extra workshop just for collecting.

Also, queueing orders. If you try giving the orders: make 30 ash, make 30 lye, make 30 soap, they'll all be assigned and you'll get lots of cancelations. You should be able to order one thing to be done only after the previous was completed.

Cultist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 04:26:45 am »

I'd be happy if they'd add repeat option for managers.