Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Procedurally generated floor patterns  (Read 735 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
Procedurally generated floor patterns
« on: February 15, 2016, 07:07:00 am »

DF is all about procedural generation for, well, everything. How about procedural generation of floor patterns when selecting multiple materials when building a floor. There are some great resources for that, completed with algorithms (and sometimes, even example code) so I wonder if this could be added. Then we could just select random materials and see what our dwarves will come up with instead of getting jumbled mess we get now.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally generated floor patterns
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:42:01 pm »

this is brilliant! I'm sure this has been also suggested before, but circular construction designation akin to the flow-designation of zones would be almost necessary. Only generating square patterns might feel incomplete.

I imagine that you could apply the same generation concept to walls: a long, straight line of 11 blocks with two colors might look like any of these:

Ideally you would be able to save previously generated patterns, or perhaps be able to sample parts of an existing construction.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally generated floor patterns
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 12:16:01 am »

It would be useful as decoration in different generated structures also.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands