Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Xenonauts 2 announced, returns to the Cold War  (Read 7861 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts 2 announced, returns to the Cold War
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2016, 05:29:10 pm »

Jagged Alliance: Back In Action did a similar thing. It's a fun style of combat, to be sure. Pity most of the games that have tried it have been shallow or lacking other areas. Haven't tried one yet that has really sucked me in the way XCOM (Old and New) have.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 01:59:10 am »

X-Com Apocalypse had a pausable real-time as well, and probably the best I've seen yet, cause it had some AI with settable modes so that you didn't have to baby-sit your guys as much as you do in most pausable real-time games (EDIT: or at least ones with guns, cause then I realized things like Dragon Age Origins went as far as allowing you to customize the AI).

As for the simultaneous turn-based thing, there was Laser Squad Nemesis. Even done by the Gollops.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:08:36 am by Virtz »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 02:30:08 am »

Wow, this looks neat.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:58 am »

Gimli, your intro post makes it sound like you're an employee of GOLDHAWK INTERACTIVE.  Congrats if that is the case, otherwise you might want to edit the OP.  :P

Haha. Well yeah, I am a lazy person, so copy & paste is God's gift to me.  :D [I edited the OP & added quote marks.]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:24:30 am by gimli »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2017, 11:10:38 am »

Thar be news, there is.
Currently free via gog galaxy until it gets into more than a very limited alpha state. Then it'll be a thing you buy, like tge previous one.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2017, 12:38:17 pm »

I really hope they innovate a bit more with this release. I get it that with xenonauts 1 they wanted a more faithful game to the original xcom, and while I did like the idea of setting it during the cold war, the whole thing just seemed a bit stale to me. It felt like an xcom clone with updated graphics, weird progression, less weapons and things to research and no psychic powers. It just felt like a nostalgia bet with some corners cut out.
The repetitiveness of the battle maps didn't help it either.

I mean, I can just fetch me openxcom if I want a vanilla oldcom experience, and then when I get tired of that I can just get me one of the awesome mods that are still being developed for it and then have tons of extra stuff to play it. Xpiratez, for example, is just this one oldcom mod isn't even finished and it has a fuckton more of gameplay features and content than xenonauts ever could offer, and its free.

So yea, unless they're doing some interesting stuff with the sequel, I prob won't even look at it.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 12:55:01 pm »

Yeah, somehow Xenonauts always feels kinda clunky to me, even compared to the original xcom. The demo video is nice and all, but still feels clunky.

It does have somewhat more of an XCOM 2 feel to it, though, which is interesting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2017, 01:41:51 pm »

I liked Xenonauts immensely more than the modern takes on XCOM. Got hooked directly.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 01:48:20 pm »

I liked Xenonauts immensely more than the modern takes on XCOM. Got hooked directly.

I'm happy to hear that, actually. Makes me feel better that they're simply succeeding for different tastes than mine instead of failing to make a compelling game.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]