Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Mission 27: Firestorm Team (ready)  (Read 19438 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Mission 27: Firestorm Team (ready)
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:46:31 pm »

Vet team, you're going in to set up the portals to heph and guard them as you get people in. We've given you several remotes to open the portals, so you should be good even if you lose one of them somehow. You guys got one job: get down there and get as many people as you can through that portal. Doesn't matter who they are, as long as they're not obviously sick with something horrible (Stop the people who have ebola) or carrying a rocket launcher, let em through. Protect the portal. The newbie teams are at your command for this.  Expect this to get messy; there are gonna be people who want to take the portal for themselves. There are gonna be people who want your weapons, your gear, your ships and your internal organs. And there are gonna be people who just get caught up in the riot fever. Expect things to burn.  Stay as long as you can then kill the portal and get out. We got several places to go so don't go dying on the first stop.

You're used to this by now.  Your gear is sitting on the bed, a towel waiting on top of it. You're out the door in just over a minute, suited and armed, floating down the hall toward the hanger. Nyars is coming out of the bar, bat on his shoulder. He watches you pass with a placid expression. You cycle through the hanger airlock and out into the hanger just as the blast doors finish opening. The Supervets are already taking of by the time you float up to your ship and get strapped in. The skeletal frames of the hot drop ships vanish into the blue of the planetary ocean  before the back hatch of the shuttle begins to close.

>This is a simple one, people. Crowd control. Get them into the portal and leave before the city burns down. I'd recommend setting down somewhere where you can get people in easily but also keep the place well defended. Choose your LZ and we'll head down. Newbie teams have your back; just remember to duck when they start shooting. We don't expect much in the way of former UWM forces here, but the populace no doubt has its own mobs and warlords, and they won't hesitate to use force. Team leaders, I'm giving you a program. Its a remote disable for the portal system in case the remote gets lost. And by disable I mean it activates an explosive in the remote. Don't use it unless you need to. And make sure to target the right remote.

The quiet of decent is mundane. The rattle of reentry is banal. It's only once the waves and roar of surf reaches your ears that you begin to feel excitement, fear and anticipation. After a few minutes of descent the shuttle starts broadcasting images of the outside to you.  You're about a quarter of a mile up off the ground, hovering above an expanse of rotten brown. Semilunar Island is a crescent shaped ridge of black stone and mossy vegetation jutting from the sea, and along its inner curve a floating city of shacks and tents has been erected, spreading unevenly out into the ocean for what looks like several miles. It's a great scab of rusted metal, sun rotted plastic tarps, black tires, multicolored nylon ropes, ties and metal barrels, all undulating in the surf. The sea around it is choked with garbage and stained with filth and anaerobic algae.  The shuttle dips lower.

>Where do we wanna land? What we looking for?

(I suggest Firestorm and Blizzard coordinates this landing together, doing it independently is asking for trouble. )

>Beginning Transmission of the Truth across all radio bands, hijacked television stations and other communication systems as well as the shuttle broadcast system. Get ready teams, things are about to get ugly.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:28:36 am by piecewise »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 27: Firestorm Team
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:15:46 am »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 11:49:59 am »

Shuttle full of braindeads: Kamikaze?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 11:58:57 am »

Use my aux skills to get some SPACE METAL playing on the shuttle's subwoofers as we descend.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 12:07:53 pm »

Be busily discussing landing sites.

Load a frag round instead of the CLF3 I had loaded. Melting civvies is worse PR than hitting them with shrapnel.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 12:21:08 pm »

Discussion of landing site was ongoing, general consensus is We want to set the portal on a ridge or other inaccessable area, and make access paths using solid light generators.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 04:13:18 pm »

Yeah we were going to funnel people and whatnot so land somewhere inaccessible without light bridges and begin setting up portal I guess
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 11:56:18 am »

Use my aux skills to get some SPACE METAL playing on the shuttle's subwoofers as we descend.
SPACE METAL?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD0JuJr0a4I

Here's an album called space metal.

Be busily discussing landing sites.

Load a frag round instead of the CLF3 I had loaded. Melting civvies is worse PR than hitting them with shrapnel.

I guess? I mean with the clf3 you're not just melting people, you're starting fires and spreading poison gas too.

But sure, I guess shrapnel's good enough.

Discussion of landing site was ongoing, general consensus is We want to set the portal on a ridge or other inaccessable area, and make access paths using solid light generators.
Thats fine. You don't need to post actions. I was more just bumping the thread.

Yeah we were going to funnel people and whatnot so land somewhere inaccessible without light bridges and begin setting up portal I guess
This is a very not confident plan, judging from your reaction.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 11:51:40 pm »

"This sounds... reasonably dramatic, I suppose!"
Jobasio, seemingly satisfied with the soundtrack, pulls out a pair of sunglasses and jams them, with some difficulty, over his large robo-head.
Then, he waits, clutching his rifle to his chest.

Equip sunglasses, prepare for landing.
Wonder if anything important is being said in the other thread. Be too busy listening to SPACE METAL to care.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 03:23:21 am »

Land at ridge and begin setting up defences and portal in concert with blizzard team.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 10:56:32 am »

Land at ridge and begin setting up defences and portal in concert with blizzard team.
The group plan is here
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 12:19:54 pm »

"This sounds... reasonably dramatic, I suppose!"
Jobasio, seemingly satisfied with the soundtrack, pulls out a pair of sunglasses and jams them, with some difficulty, over his large robo-head.
Then, he waits, clutching his rifle to his chest.

Equip sunglasses, prepare for landing.
Wonder if anything important is being said in the other thread. Be too busy listening to SPACE METAL to care.

You tape the sunglasses to your overly large head and then stand around looking cool. Not terribly helpful, but cool.

You bring the shuttle down next to Blizzard team's shuttle. Time to get to work.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 12:46:32 pm »

Leap out of the side, survey area and possible lines of approach. Are there lots of people nearby?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 05:12:52 pm »

set up defence perimeter around portal positions be on the lookout for refugees.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 02:30:28 pm »

I cloak and move out down the path most civilians are likely to travel, looking for a mildly elevated position offset from the group but still within line of sight of them, someplace out of the way of attacks but still in support range, with hopefully a small amount of forewarning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8