Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Mission 27: Earthquake team  (Read 22507 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Mission 27: Earthquake team
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:47:40 pm »

Do I need to tell you guys anything? You should know the deal by now. Go in, make the bad guys dead, control the capital. Murder is what you do. Half of you are literally built for that sole purpose. Do what comes natural.

The permission work doesn't even register in your mind. Stasis, the walk to the shuttles, you've done it so many times that it's barely worth considering. You could do it in your sleep, if you even sleep anymore. The hotdrop shuttles raise more of a reaction from where your gut used to be. There are memories attached to those. Memories of falling, of fire, of pain, of death. But you're stronger now, far stronger, and you've seen more than your share of death. You strap into the skeletal metal frame and watch as the stars roll past. The stars are subsumed in flame heat and light as the shuttle punches through the atmosphere, the forward cone of ablative armor taking the brunt of it while you sit in the wake. The armor breaks free as you enter the lower atmosphere and the thrusters kick on.

>Beginning Transmission of the Truth across all radio bands, hijacked television stations and other communication systems as well as the shuttle broadcast system. Get ready teams, things are about to get ugly.

The hotdrop shuttle screams downward at full speed, bobbing and weaving erratically.  There are no shells this time. No lasers, no explosions to rip the ship into pieces and send you tumbling down. There is only the descent and then the hard reversal, the pull up. Buildings and streets are a blur beneath your feet, no more then a few meters away. The wind is roaring around you and the strange doppler distorted squawks of sea birds and roaring surf breaking through waterways and against stones assaults your ears. The shuttle rises suddenly, just barely making it over the top of a high wall, and then drops hard while slowing down. It stops, just for a instant, and drops you. You fall a good 10 feet down onto stairs which have been carved straight into the stone of the island. Smoke from the engines overwhelms you for an instant before the shuttle roars away, dispersing the haze with a blast of exhaust. You're standing in the middle of a long, wide thoroughfare, a long, low angle slope of slab like stairs which lead up the side of a heavily worn island mountain.  Below, back along the path, is a stone wall, easily 40 feet high, with a wide ornate gate at the start of the stairs. Ahead, maybe half a mile, is the wall of the mountain. You can see what looks like a large cave mouth, but it with large stone pillars supporting it and giving it an almost temple like appearance.

There are a few very frightened and confused looking civilians in your direct vicinity. Some are standing around, staring. Most are running one way or the other.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Mission 27: Earthquake team
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 05:01:44 pm »

Use +2 charisma to persuade civilians to quickly move away from our target building and towards an evacuation point if they wish to remain unharmed, informing them about the evacuation and that this planet is now under ARM control.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 07:04:45 am »

"GET OUT NOW."

After shouting at the civvies to get the hell out of here (pointing toward the exit gate with the naginata), start scanning the environment with cameyes. First immediate surroundings, then the building team Tsunami is assaulting, then the gate and the wall and area around that.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 09:08:17 am »

Go and scout out the gate area for enemies. If no hostiles, make sure the gate is open and join lars in herding the civvies out of here and towards the evacuation point. Try to stay near brother Lars' shiny robotic butt so I can hide behind it in case of trouble.

"Ladies and Gentleman, I firmly request that you evacuate the area towards the evacuation portal. Everything will be fire fine."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 11:25:17 am »

Load non-nuclear ammo into the Cannon.  Ensure Arranger is loaded with L2 Compression Round.  Encourage Civilians to head toward the nearest extraction point; provide cover and look out for bad guys.  Anything non-civilian shooting at me will be shot back at with the Raduga; any civilians shooting at me will be ignored.  Seriously, they've got nothing that could crack a battlesuit.  Also say a prayer for the whole mission.

"Civilians!  Please follow all instructions of ARM troopers; we are here to help!"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:29:36 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:40:52 am »

Use +2 charisma to persuade civilians to quickly move away from our target building and towards an evacuation point if they wish to remain unharmed, informing them about the evacuation and that this planet is now under ARM control.
[1]
"Hey, uh, you guys should probably get out of here because...well we're about to murder a lot of people. Like," You point at the capital building, "We're gonna fuck that place up. So yeah. Get going or we might have to fuck you up too, maybe."

"GET OUT NOW."

After shouting at the civvies to get the hell out of here (pointing toward the exit gate with the naginata), start scanning the environment with cameyes. First immediate surroundings, then the building team Tsunami is assaulting, then the gate and the wall and area around that.
Your method is a bit more direct and considering it comes from the mouth of a giant monster, they are very happy to oblige.

You take a good look around. Most people seem to be running away from you, but you can already see people coming for you. There are men atop the wall, and a quick zoom in shows them to be uniformed, at least partially, and very clearly armed. The same thing is happening up the stairs at the mouth of the cavernous opening to the capital. People are streaming in to take refuge while a few dozen are pushing their way out to investigate. Investigate and kill, judging from their stances with those weapons.

Go and scout out the gate area for enemies. If no hostiles, make sure the gate is open and join lars in herding the civvies out of here and towards the evacuation point. Try to stay near brother Lars' shiny robotic butt so I can hide behind it in case of trouble.

"Ladies and Gentleman, I firmly request that you evacuate the area towards the evacuation portal. Everything will be fire fine."
The gate is open, you can tell from here. And Miya tells you that there are indeed hostiles out that way.
Load non-nuclear ammo into the Cannon.  Ensure Arranger is loaded with L2 Compression Round.  Encourage Civilians to head toward the nearest extraction point; provide cover and look out for bad guys.  Anything non-civilian shooting at me will be shot back at with the Raduga; any civilians shooting at me will be ignored.  Seriously, they've got nothing that could crack a battlesuit.  Also say a prayer for the whole mission.

"Civilians!  Please follow all instructions of ARM troopers; we are here to help!"
You do your best to shout level headed instructions towards the civilians but they're all running in either direction. Oh well, at least a good number of them are on their way out, down towards the gate.

The enemies Miya observed no doubt have a good view of you now, and the majority of their weapons trained on you, however none of them have actually fired yet.  The sudden airdrop of heavy UWM armor vehicles (or at least things that look a lot like them) no doubt has them confused. As does the announcement that God is dead and now a Pyramid god from another universe is eating reality.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 11:53:55 am »

"Drop your weapons right now and surrender. If they aren't down in 3 seconds we will open fire."

Shout this and then count down from 3 loudly. If they haven't surrendered by then, do a laser sweep aimed at the peeps still armed on the top of the wall. Medium power, max diffusion. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:00:31 pm by Radio Controlled »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 12:24:42 pm »

"Drop your weapons right now and surrender. If they aren't down in 3 seconds we will open fire."

Shout this and then count down from 3 loudly. If they haven't surrendered by then, do a laser sweep aimed at the peeps still armed on the top of the wall. Medium power, max diffusion. 
Take a more proactive approach to the matter and force them to drop their weapons as quickly as possible by trapping them in a containment field and throwing them away. Edit: And by *them" I mean the weapons, not the people holding them. I'm going to be aggressively pacifistic until something worth killing arrives. Plus, I don't want to risk damaging the wall in case it becomes useful later or in case it causes civilians to be trapped here.

Priority for targets is heavy weapons, followed by those close to civilians.

If I'm not in range, fly closer while shouting orders for them to surrender and head to an evac point, since this place is under our control now.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:56:18 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 07:40:57 pm »

Ready the Raduga.  Fire if/when hostilities commence.  Sweep out any opposition.  Make sure the Raduga is set to visible light, approximately Northern Green.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 09:22:09 am »

If/when hostilities start at the front gate, make sure Lars is between me and the enemy, hide behind his robotic ass. Use the pimpknuckle to form a spike and use it to impale and pull enemies from their positions on the wall. If it this wall with enemies is more than 50ft away, shoot with my blaster pistol instead.

Meanwhile shout angrily at the enemy forces to stop wasting our time and surrender already.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 01:08:57 am »

((I choose this one, and this one alone to watch))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 04:05:52 pm »

You shout this. They respond by opening fire. And several of them appear to have rocket launchers judging by the smoke and the glint of metal screaming down towards you.

If/when hostilities start at the front gate, make sure Lars is between me and the enemy, hide behind his robotic ass. Use the pimpknuckle to form a spike and use it to impale and pull enemies from their positions on the wall. If it this wall with enemies is more than 50ft away, shoot with my blaster pistol instead.

Meanwhile shout angrily at the enemy forces to stop wasting our time and surrender already.

Your Id manifests in an explosion of green flame and snatches one of the rockets out of mid-air. He holds it in one hand, examining the roaring exhaust as the warhead tries to tear itself free from his grasp.

He tosses it back at the wall before drawing his sabre and pointing it at the distant human shapes. The blade coils back on itself like a spring, wriggling  and tightening for an instant before launching forward with a metallic ring. The blade extends impossibly, stretching all the way to the wall before suddenly retracting. When it returns it has three bodies impaled on it, all writhing and engulfed in green flame.

Take a more proactive approach to the matter and force them to drop their weapons as quickly as possible by trapping them in a containment field and throwing them away. Edit: And by *them" I mean the weapons, not the people holding them. I'm going to be aggressively pacifistic until something worth killing arrives. Plus, I don't want to risk damaging the wall in case it becomes useful later or in case it causes civilians to be trapped here.

Priority for targets is heavy weapons, followed by those close to civilians.

If I'm not in range, fly closer while shouting orders for them to surrender and head to an evac point, since this place is under our control now.

The containment gun has a range of 100 or so feet at best.

Instead you use it to catch and detonate a rocket thats coming down at you.

Ready the Raduga.  Fire if/when hostilities commence.  Sweep out any opposition.  Make sure the Raduga is set to visible light, approximately Northern Green.

You and Miya sweep the wall. Miya's attack is fairly non-lethal because of the long distance and the maximum diffusion. He more gives people a bad sunburn and eye damage.

You, on the other hand, bisect several of them.

A fair deal of gauss fire comes down on you as well but considering everyone here is either in a giant mass of armor or hiding behind someone in armor, it doesn't matter much.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 04:10:11 pm »

((Weird, laser used to be lethal at these settings at this kind of range, like during battle of Hep. Oh well.))

Again! Lower diffusion as needed, shoot more fools. If the sunburned/blinded enemies are no longer a threat, leave them be and focus on the ones still actively resisting.

If there is no more active threat, then round up the surrendering and wounded enemies, disarm them and throw them in a holding cell in the ol' pocket dimension.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 05:36:31 am by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 05:12:29 pm »

((Weird, laser used to be lethal at these settings at this kind of range, like during battle of Hep. Oh well.))

Again! Lower diffusion as needed, shoot more fools. If the sunburned/blinded enemies are no longer a threat, leave them be and focus on the ones still actively resisting.
Max diffusion at several hundred feet in atmosphere?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 05:17:39 pm »

Ah, I did not know about the range. Then shooting it is. I guess it can't be helped. Let's go for Blue Lightning while flying towards the wall. I've never seen what it does to living things. Might as well find out. If I'm lucky, it will only stun them instead of chain-lightning them to ash or stealing their brain's electricity or turning them all into superpowered beings.

Edit: Actually, flying might trigger my light shield, so shoot first, fly second.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:40:25 am by Parisbre56 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10