Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Mission 27: Earthquake team  (Read 22539 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 27: Earthquake team
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2016, 01:35:24 pm »

"So, comrade, I saw you bodyslam that plane earlier. Very nice. Do you think you could take the other planes out of the sky without triggering their automanip shields, should they come back?"

Enjoy being alive and make above idle chitchat with Comrade Dimitri. Watch the horizon and skies for hostiles. If I can see them approaching, get angry at them about being nuked again and sic comrade on them, let him attack through Miyamoto's portal if need be.   
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:11:00 am by Pancaek »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2016, 04:10:12 pm »

You know what? Fuck those fucking fuckers. May they drown in their own shitty shit. If they kill everyone, if they want to die, them I have no reason to hold back. Oh, if it's death they want, I'll give them death. Screw them. Let's see them deal with THIS.

Bring on the ion storm. Blue mode, twin linked generators, towards the sky. Keep firing until I can fire no more. Let's see them dare to navigate a bullet hell of lightning and plasma with their automanipulators on. With almost everyone on the surface of the island dead, there's nothing holding me back and there's plenty of reasons to kill.

Edit: Make sure I'm on the side of the island from where the bombers will most likely come, in case they are very fast and manage to arrive before the storm is big enough. Because, you know, angry, not (completely) stupid.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:12:10 pm by Parisbre56 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2016, 11:13:57 am »

Would it be possible to set up a portal in front of us and one at the horizon (pointing in our direction), and shoot through the portals and precisely target their engines? From what we've seen earlier, those engines are unshielded, right? After all, Flint was able to shoot out a few engines while not physically near/on top of the shuttle (it had slipped under him).

If this should indeed be possible, then do that, use laser to target engines. Do a low intensity 'probing shot' first to doublecheck if the engines are indeed unshielded (to prevent accidental lurker summoning) then start hitting engines.

Oh, and order the gunship to start maneuvering into a position where it is able to shoot at the engines without setting off the automanips.

Faith action in case the Owl doesn't show up: fix the priest to the best of her capabilities (IO seemed to be on board with the plan, by the way, though if you don't wanna run it I'd understand why).
Maybe? But doing that would be very hard because you'd have to hit the exact range and location of where they are now, or at least quite close, and then shoot their engines before they just flew away back towards this position. Ie you're gonna have to get 5's on a few rolls in a row.

Gunship moving to target.

Faith manages to get Lars' legs working again, though they're not quite as responsive as they normally are for the moment.  Kinda just juryrigged a nerve connection so some misfires or failed signals are inevitable.

See if I can unstick my stuck arm.  Get that debris out of there and see what can be done.
We'll assume Dubley and Faith help with that.

Fix up Lars's battlesuit as best as I can. Try to transfer some armour from the back to the front.
You free the suit and repair and redistribute the armor as best you can. It's imperfect, but the suit is about 80% functional now, which is better than it was before.

"So, comrade, I saw you bodyslam that plane earlier. Very nice. Do you think you could take the other planes out of the sky without triggering their automanip shields, should they come back?"

Enjoy being alive and make above idle chitchat with Comrade Dimitri. Watch the horizon and skies for hostiles. If I can see them approaching, get angry at them about being nuked again and sic comrade on them, let him attack through Miyamoto's portal if need be.   
He nods and cracks several sets of knuckles.

You know what? Fuck those fucking fuckers. May they drown in their own shitty shit. If they kill everyone, if they want to die, them I have no reason to hold back. Oh, if it's death they want, I'll give them death. Screw them. Let's see them deal with THIS.

Bring on the ion storm. Blue mode, twin linked generators, towards the sky. Keep firing until I can fire no more. Let's see them dare to navigate a bullet hell of lightning and plasma with their automanipulators on. With almost everyone on the surface of the island dead, there's nothing holding me back and there's plenty of reasons to kill.

Edit: Make sure I'm on the side of the island from where the bombers will most likely come, in case they are very fast and manage to arrive before the storm is big enough. Because, you know, angry, not (completely) stupid.

Flint reenacts the ending of rambo 2, firing his weapon straight into the air while screaming incoherently in a thick accent. He drains his power completely, causing his suit to shut down as it attempts to restart. The sky over the island turns dark and fills with boiling clouds and constant flashes and crackling tails of lightning. Purple bolts rip through the clouds and strike the earth in frightening quantities. The air even at ground level becomes massively electrically charged, and saint elmo's fire burns ethereally on every point and corner.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2016, 02:15:29 pm »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Milno noticed the mess aboveground as he emerged from the entrance after his metal shields. "Sigh."

Milno puppets Faith into being the medical/technical type of useful if necessary. He otherwise hangs around, preparing for evacuation or whatever else we might do since shit's going down harder than a wet sack of potatoes.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2016, 12:55:41 pm »

"There ya go priest bro, good as new."

Go help Flint now. Connect my assaultsuit and extra generators to Gilgamesh so Flint can shoot some more since he has better guns.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2016, 04:00:06 pm »

"Why the hell are you targeting the sky right above our heads? Do you want to get people killed? And even if you don't hit us, having a shuttle hit it might be just as bad if it over-stresses that automanip, so knock that off."

So opening a portal doesn't work very well because the shuttles are flying too fast, so the shot would still be at 'long range' against a moving target, correct? Or why exactly would the shot be so difficult, compared to a regular shot at long range?

If the gunship gets in position this turn, have it engage, but ONLY if it has a good chance of actually hitting the engines (and only the engines). Again let it do a low power probing shot to confirm the lack of shields around the engines, after that let 'er rip.

Would setting off an EMP close to those shuttles be able to disable the automanips (and maybe the shuttles themselves if we're lucky), or are they shielded against that? And of the 8 people in the 2 teams on the island, any that would be badly affected by an EMP? Could we detonate a nuke in atmosphere to get that EMP going? Does the gunship carry EMP missiles with it (it should, but checking just in case)?

Keep using portals to send back shuttles as far away as I can manage as soon as they get 'in range'.

Also, ask Steve if he can get a visual on where those attack shuttles came from by extrapolating the course they came in on.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:26:58 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2016, 09:52:38 am »

"I ask if you could take on some goddamn airplanes, and you just crack your knuckles and look badass. Ah, comrade, You're the best."

Keep checking the skies for hostiles and sic Comrade Dimitri on them if they dare show themselves.

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2016, 10:02:17 pm »

Renen looks around and waits to his team go back to the castle. Avoid any possible atacks comming. Take cover from the lightining storm that will come.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 01:21:50 pm by Grunhill »
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2016, 11:51:40 pm »

Shoot a test tiny pulse laser fire at an incoming shuttle.  If it's shielded, stop.  If not, laser it and any others out of the sky.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2016, 10:53:19 am »

Flint kept screaming and trying to press the trigger again and again, even as the view outside was replaced by dead screens lit by the dim emergency lights and the sound of repeated thunder strikes was replaced by muffled radio chatter and distant vibrations barely audible over his quickened breathing.

He stopped screaming and spent several seconds looking at nothing, catching his breath.

I hear thunder but there's no rain
This type of thunder breaks walls and window pane

When he was calm enough, when he had rested enough, he made the choice to start thinking and acting again.
That felt good.

If the island and its surroundings has been sufficiently thunderstormed, shut off power to the rainbow cannon and wait for the suit to recharge.

Edit: If I manage to recharge in this turn, then retreat to the palace entrance. Switch the rainbow cannon to radiation beam mode and prepare to fire. If I'm lucky, even if they don't turn off their automanipulators, they and their automanipulator brains won't be protected against ultra high energy radiation.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:52:18 pm by Parisbre56 »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2016, 12:45:05 pm »

Seek cover, do not die. Be pessimistic about this whole thing.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2016, 12:06:46 pm »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Milno noticed the mess aboveground as he emerged from the entrance after his metal shields. "Sigh."

Milno puppets Faith into being the medical/technical type of useful if necessary. He otherwise hangs around, preparing for evacuation or whatever else we might do since shit's going down harder than a wet sack of potatoes.
Puppeting faith is doable, but there ain't no evacuation happening here. Your orders are to murder till there ain't no murder left to do.

"There ya go priest bro, good as new."

Go help Flint now. Connect my assaultsuit and extra generators to Gilgamesh so Flint can shoot some more since he has better guns.
I assume this means you want to connect yourselves via big old cable and share power? We can do that, but if it gets severed mid-battle you're both gonna go into 1 turn power cycling mode.

"I ask if you could take on some goddamn airplanes, and you just crack your knuckles and look badass. Ah, comrade, You're the best."

Keep checking the skies for hostiles and sic Comrade Dimitri on them if they dare show themselves.
Nothing yet. Kind of disappointing. Every turn when Comrade Dimitri isn't performing Russian suplexes on rocket ships is a turn wasted.

Seek cover, do not die. Be pessimistic about this whole thing.
Thats more like the Milno I know.

Renen looks around and waits to his team go back to the castle. Avoid any possible atacks comming. Take cover from the lightining storm that will come.
Will come? It is currently happening. And you, being metal, tall and pointy are Lightning's favorite kind of dance partner. I'm gonna assume you walk out into the entry way of the capital, take one look at the hellish lightning storm outside, and decide to stay in the cave.

Shoot a test tiny pulse laser fire at an incoming shuttle.  If it's shielded, stop.  If not, laser it and any others out of the sky.
Unfortunately the lightning storm as rather obscured the sky and made it very hard to see anything coming. What with the clouds and the constant lightning strikes searing your retinas.

Ooo boy you are seeing spots.

Flint kept screaming and trying to press the trigger again and again, even as the view outside was replaced by dead screens lit by the dim emergency lights and the sound of repeated thunder strikes was replaced by muffled radio chatter and distant vibrations barely audible over his quickened breathing.

He stopped screaming and spent several seconds looking at nothing, catching his breath.

I hear thunder but there's no rain
This type of thunder breaks walls and window pane

When he was calm enough, when he had rested enough, he made the choice to start thinking and acting again.
That felt good.

If the island and its surroundings has been sufficiently thunderstormed, shut off power to the rainbow cannon and wait for the suit to recharge.

Edit: If I manage to recharge in this turn, then retreat to the palace entrance. Switch the rainbow cannon to radiation beam mode and prepare to fire. If I'm lucky, even if they don't turn off their automanipulators, they and their automanipulator brains won't be protected against ultra high energy radiation.

Recharging.

"Why the hell are you targeting the sky right above our heads? Do you want to get people killed? And even if you don't hit us, having a shuttle hit it might be just as bad if it over-stresses that automanip, so knock that off."

So opening a portal doesn't work very well because the shuttles are flying too fast, so the shot would still be at 'long range' against a moving target, correct? Or why exactly would the shot be so difficult, compared to a regular shot at long range?

If the gunship gets in position this turn, have it engage, but ONLY if it has a good chance of actually hitting the engines (and only the engines). Again let it do a low power probing shot to confirm the lack of shields around the engines, after that let 'er rip.

Would setting off an EMP close to those shuttles be able to disable the automanips (and maybe the shuttles themselves if we're lucky), or are they shielded against that? And of the 8 people in the 2 teams on the island, any that would be badly affected by an EMP? Could we detonate a nuke in atmosphere to get that EMP going? Does the gunship carry EMP missiles with it (it should, but checking just in case)?

Keep using portals to send back shuttles as far away as I can manage as soon as they get 'in range'.

Also, ask Steve if he can get a visual on where those attack shuttles came from by extrapolating the course they came in on.

Yeah, basically.

It's in position but there appears to have been the sudden emergence of a super storm system right above where you are. Making it very hard to target anything.

It wouldn't stop the manips, but it might disable the shuttle itself.

CAN'T SEE SHIT CAPT'N

He tells you they came from various small islands and joined up together. Apparently these automanips were equipment they used before, not set up for you specifically.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2016, 07:05:44 am »

Miya lets out a long, deep sigh.

"Ok then, everybody get inside the mountain entrance or deeper, or at least spread out a lot. We cannot see the enemy shuttles, and neither can the gunship target them, so I'm guessing they're inside the storm already. So they could drop out to blast us anytime and we wouldn't even see it coming. If anyone has an idea on how to dissipate the storm or stop those bombers, do tell, but don't just randomly act on the first whim that comes up. We've seen what that leads to, and right now we can't afford many more missteps unless we wanna eat another mouthful of nuke.

Flint, could you fly into the storm and give us a better idea of where they are? Gilgamesh should be able to handle it, I went into lightning storms with it before on the planetoid just fine. If you can get a visual, I might be able to target my portals more accurately. Unless that gun has a reverse-storm button, in which case do that."

It's in position but there appears to have been the sudden emergence of a super storm system right above where you are. Making it very hard to target anything.
Keep it in position, load an EMP missile just in case.

It wouldn't stop the manips, but it might disable the shuttle itself.
And if it disabled the shuttle, and the shuttle crashes into the sea/island, would that set off the automanip in the same way that shooting the shuttles would? If not, any other way the emp could spell (lurker-related or otherwise) doom?

Oh, and would the automanips protect against normal lasers, radiation guns or lightning, far as we/Steve knows?

He tells you they came from various small islands and joined up together. Apparently these automanips were equipment they used before, not set up for you specifically.
Tell him to keep an eye on those islands for now. Can he see if there's more infrastructure in there? Could he blow up the islands? Or is there a good chance of there being active automanips in there as well?

Actual Miya action: retreat deeper into mountain. By the way, suppose I opened a portal, let an enemy shuttle fly in, and then quickly closed the portal, and the automanip overstresses inside the (not connected to realspace) pocket dimension, would this succesfully prevent the Lurker from noticing?

[/b]

((For the record Paris, I'm not actually annoyed at the whole storm thing (though it's not exactly helping either :P ) but I'm just afraid that next time we have to tank nukes we won't be equally lucky, and I don't wanna just assume that Miya would know what a person was planning to do from looking at the action. Unless you say you'd be ok with that, which could be handy in that you wouldn't have to type out anything while we could still have some coordination. How do you, and the others, feel about doing it like this, where a planned action (so not reaction shots in stressed situations and such) are considered to be communicated automatically unless stated otherwise, without having to actually type everything out all the time?))
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:45:26 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2016, 01:36:41 pm »

follow miya into mountains. If we get attacked, get Comrade Dimitri to make the attack go away.

Otherwise just chill and listen to some music to pass the time
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:51:05 pm by Pancaek »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2016, 02:49:51 pm »

((What are you talking about? Storm is awesome. It just solved all our enemy problems by turning the outside into an unapproachable (AND cool-looking, which IS our primary objective) wasteland. Now we can just relax and solve other problems while waiting for the other team to finish its job. Or, more likely, wait for something that can compete with the murderstorm to pop up and make us tremble with terror. Assuming the murderstorm doesn't kill us all.

See? Fun!

And sure, if you think you can make a reasonable guess for my action via camera feeds or something, I'm fine with that. But I don't like straight up telepathy. I'd like to be able to have some fun with my slightly crazy plans and it makes more sense that I'm sometimes doing them impulsively rather than talking about them with everyone.))

: Hah. Yeah, yeah, sure, I'll get right on that. Though frankly, I'd be lucky if I manage to recharge in time to get back there alive with the- *makes sound of static with mouth and cuts off transmission* :
Boring conversation anyway.

I remember last time I used the lightning gun it made bolts that exploded and burned stuff whenever they hit them. And that was with only three pulls of the trigger. So... uh, please just hope that I manage to recharge soon before something horrible happens? Pretty please? I'd really like to find some cover right now and avoid getting fried and/or exploded by my own hubris.

Is there anything I could do to speed this up? Are there any bike pedals provided for me to turn frantically?

Edit: Oh, hey, idea! If I do recharge, keep the rainbow cannon in lightning mode and keep it above my head while searching for cover. If I'm lucky, it will protect me, like a lightning rod.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:49:57 am by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10