Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Mission 27: Earthquake team  (Read 22535 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 27: Earthquake team
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2016, 05:52:24 am »

((Yeah, we'll have to try and see when it seems appropriate, it's just kinda annoying to ask people to type out their plans constantly (and probably even worse for the person who actually has to do that), but otherwise if a person has an idea but misses something or is unaware of whatever we can't warn the other without borderline meta (or discussing in ooc, which isn't my favorite).

Also, I fear that if we can't see the shuttles, the gunship can't see the shuttles, and we didn't notice the shuttles falling from the sky somewhere, that they are still out there and coming for us. And if they try to use the clouds for cover, some srtay lightning might hit them and spell DOOOOM. ))

"Oh good, I'll help you up then!"
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:52:03 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2016, 12:44:06 pm »

((D-D-Doublepost mania!

I doublechecked something with pw in pm because I wasn't entirely clear on some things. As it turns out, the storm isn't just above our heads, it is "coating the entire island in pea soup fog filled with high levels of ambient electrical charge". That rather changes some things, so I'm gonna adjust my action. It should also change some of the rp that happened, but we can probably just ignore most of that anyway. Here's the full quotes from pw, for the record:

It's safe to assume that they at least didn't crash anywhere near you. Maybe they went down out in the ocean but didn't explode. Maybe they're still flying. Hard to say.
Ocean is a couple miles away and the storm is coating the entire island in pea soup fog filled with high levels of ambient electrical charge.  It's less that you couldn't see them, more that you couldn't tell what was them and what was the storm. Like finding the candle burning in a house fire.
But there have been no nukes or amp overloads going off, that much is for sure.

So, we are basically completely blind, and the enemy shuttles may or may not still be gunning to give us a new suntan.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2016, 02:56:36 pm »

Charge up Flint and get to safety and carry Flint to safety.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2016, 05:48:40 pm »

"This is all we needed."

Retreat deeper back into the mountain alongside Renen, preferentially with metal asses for protection - Faith's included. Prioritize defense, cover and traps/ambush perception.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2016, 09:31:43 am »

Follow Milno. Help in anything that it's needed.

Huh... Another climate damage to the planet... Well... it's nature at it's finest
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2016, 10:10:03 pm »

"O Algis, may your hands cover our retrograde action!"

Head in with the crew.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2016, 09:31:35 am »

Miya lets out a long, deep sigh.

"Ok then, everybody get inside the mountain entrance or deeper, or at least spread out a lot. We cannot see the enemy shuttles, and neither can the gunship target them, so I'm guessing they're inside the storm already. So they could drop out to blast us anytime and we wouldn't even see it coming. If anyone has an idea on how to dissipate the storm or stop those bombers, do tell, but don't just randomly act on the first whim that comes up. We've seen what that leads to, and right now we can't afford many more missteps unless we wanna eat another mouthful of nuke.

Flint, could you fly into the storm and give us a better idea of where they are? Gilgamesh should be able to handle it, I went into lightning storms with it before on the planetoid just fine. If you can get a visual, I might be able to target my portals more accurately. Unless that gun has a reverse-storm button, in which case do that."

It's in position but there appears to have been the sudden emergence of a super storm system right above where you are. Making it very hard to target anything.
Keep it in position, load an EMP missile just in case.

It wouldn't stop the manips, but it might disable the shuttle itself.
And if it disabled the shuttle, and the shuttle crashes into the sea/island, would that set off the automanip in the same way that shooting the shuttles would? If not, any other way the emp could spell (lurker-related or otherwise) doom?

Oh, and would the automanips protect against normal lasers, radiation guns or lightning, far as we/Steve knows?

He tells you they came from various small islands and joined up together. Apparently these automanips were equipment they used before, not set up for you specifically.
Tell him to keep an eye on those islands for now. Can he see if there's more infrastructure in there? Could he blow up the islands? Or is there a good chance of there being active automanips in there as well?

Actual Miya action: retreat deeper into mountain. By the way, suppose I opened a portal, let an enemy shuttle fly in, and then quickly closed the portal, and the automanip overstresses inside the (not connected to realspace) pocket dimension, would this succesfully prevent the Lurker from noticing?

[/b]

((For the record Paris, I'm not actually annoyed at the whole storm thing (though it's not exactly helping either :P ) but I'm just afraid that next time we have to tank nukes we won't be equally lucky, and I don't wanna just assume that Miya would know what a person was planning to do from looking at the action. Unless you say you'd be ok with that, which could be handy in that you wouldn't have to type out anything while we could still have some coordination. How do you, and the others, feel about doing it like this, where a planned action (so not reaction shots in stressed situations and such) are considered to be communicated automatically unless stated otherwise, without having to actually type everything out all the time?))
Alright
If they just crash, it probably won't set the thing off, assuming they're just under the effects of gravity. It will activate the amp but not overload it...probably. Lasers would set them off and probably overload them quite quickly, but radiation might not. Lighting...hmm. probably.

The islands appear to be small communities and inhabited areas. More than likely they were there as part of the normal warlord business and then were recalled when the capital was attacked.

You move into the cave entrance.

The lurker might notice it, but it would go to your pocket dimension, not here.

follow miya into mountains. If we get attacked, get Comrade Dimitri to make the attack go away.

Otherwise just chill and listen to some music to pass the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hMw1C6fPt8

You follow miya into the cave.

((What are you talking about? Storm is awesome. It just solved all our enemy problems by turning the outside into an unapproachable (AND cool-looking, which IS our primary objective) wasteland. Now we can just relax and solve other problems while waiting for the other team to finish its job. Or, more likely, wait for something that can compete with the murderstorm to pop up and make us tremble with terror. Assuming the murderstorm doesn't kill us all.

See? Fun!

And sure, if you think you can make a reasonable guess for my action via camera feeds or something, I'm fine with that. But I don't like straight up telepathy. I'd like to be able to have some fun with my slightly crazy plans and it makes more sense that I'm sometimes doing them impulsively rather than talking about them with everyone.))

: Hah. Yeah, yeah, sure, I'll get right on that. Though frankly, I'd be lucky if I manage to recharge in time to get back there alive with the- *makes sound of static with mouth and cuts off transmission* :
Boring conversation anyway.

I remember last time I used the lightning gun it made bolts that exploded and burned stuff whenever they hit them. And that was with only three pulls of the trigger. So... uh, please just hope that I manage to recharge soon before something horrible happens? Pretty please? I'd really like to find some cover right now and avoid getting fried and/or exploded by my own hubris.

Is there anything I could do to speed this up? Are there any bike pedals provided for me to turn frantically?

Edit: Oh, hey, idea! If I do recharge, keep the rainbow cannon in lightning mode and keep it above my head while searching for cover. If I'm lucky, it will protect me, like a lightning rod.

Nothings exploding yet, but the amount of lightning, which was frankly already a bit nuts, keeps increasing. It's not striking quickly enough that there's no real lull between the thunder claps. It's just a continuous roar.

Your suit is now recharged. And has been struck by lightning multiple times.

Charge up Flint and get to safety and carry Flint to safety.
He's charged and follows you to safety. Relative safety.

"This is all we needed."

Retreat deeper back into the mountain alongside Renen, preferentially with metal asses for protection - Faith's included. Prioritize defense, cover and traps/ambush perception.
You head back into the mountain, dragging faith's unresponsive metal ass along.

"O Algis, may your hands cover our retrograde action!"

Head in with the crew.
Follow Milno. Help in anything that it's needed.

Huh... Another climate damage to the planet... Well... it's nature at it's finest
Generic follow action activated.

The storm continues to intensify and spread. The clouds are little more than dark outlines around a sea of purple internal lightning and the bolts crashing down from them are getting bigger, thicker and lasting longer. Pillars of lighting stand for a few second or more, undulating,  before fading away.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2016, 09:51:40 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The storm continues to intensify and spread. The clouds are little more than dark outlines around a sea of purple internal lightning and the bolts crashing down from them are getting bigger, thicker and lasting longer. Pillars of lighting stand for a few second or more, undulating,  before fading away.

"It seems that this storm isn't dying out by itself, no idea where it keeps getting the electric charge to keep the lightning going. I might have an idea to get rid of the storm, but we'll still need to deal with those shuttles. I checked with Steve and according to him lightning would probably set off their automanip defenses, so we need to take them down before they can attract too much attention. If those bastards aren't dead already, of course, but we can't really check for that as long as we can't see shit.

Now, a shuttle crashing probably wouldn't overload the manips, though it might still get activated. So unless anyone has a better idea or a reason against I'm gonna order several strong EMP missiles to be fired from our gunship into the vicinity of those shuttles in the hopes of disabling them and taking them down. Oh, and apparently lasers are a very bad idea due to rapidly overloading them, so don't shoot them with that."

Order gunship to fire several EMP missiles into the general area where we think the enemy shuttles are. Spread them out a bit to cover more ground, and be sure to detonate either before going into the storm or just after entering, to prevent stray lightning from destroying it. Remember that I have an AWACS pack which should ensure we can communicate with the gunship. If there's anything nearby that would provide some protection from the EMP (like a room with a metal ceiling or rolls of sheet metal we could put over ourselves) use it, make sure teammates are covered as well.

The lurker might notice it, but it would go to your pocket dimension, not here.

So the Lurker can jump dimensions now without needing any special rituals? Hmm, good to know.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:59:00 am by Radio Controlled »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2016, 04:12:17 pm »

Stand guard.  Just generally guard.  Pray (loudly) for the team.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2016, 04:24:35 pm »

faff about, converse a bit with comrade dimitri

"Say, comrade, what do you want to do once we get to another universe? I think we should take a break, see the sights. Blow up some stuff, just to unwind. What do you say?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2016, 12:48:20 am »

Go find some cover.

Also, use my charisma to convince the universe that if the UWM ships are in the storm, then it makes sense for them to have their automanipulators deactivated, since judging from the fact that they closed their automanipulators before detonating their nukes, they don't want to summon the Lurker and entering the storm with the automanipulators on would be very likely to do that. Now if they are merely hovering at the edge of the storm... Well, we'll just have to hope we get lucky.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2016, 12:13:47 pm »

"Now that we're here thanks to a stupidity-born storm outside, we might as well clear out the rest of the mountain. How about that?"

Continue being pessimistic. Seek any still functioning electronics and see if interfacing with them gives me any useful information. If not, then still absorb rarer raw materials in them and incorporate them onto the MkIII.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2016, 06:32:01 pm »

Find and get as much scrap metal as I possibly can.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2016, 08:14:57 am »

>Belay those actions. We have enough humans in storage now, this planet is no longer of any use to us. Not to mention that storm is spreading in a very unsettling way. Regroup with the other teams, we're opening a portal back to heph. We have work to do elsewhere.

Be careful if you're gonna use your shuttles to get there; that storm might spike them out of the sky.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2016, 08:30:54 am »

Could I use my pocket dimension generator to open a portal inside the mountain, one portal somewhere outside the storm, after which the shuttles fly close to the portal outside the storm and we board the shuttle through the mountain-side portal, thereby circumventing the storm itself handily?

Alternatively, could we create a very large Faraday Cage with stuff we loot inside this mountain base and use that to power through that storm and get the hell outta here? Or maybe, if a cage is too big, a sort of big lightning rod to hopefully draw the electricity away from us?

By the way, can I still bring the Avatar, or not? Don't wanna go with it if it'll just get commandeered five seconds in, though figuring out the replacement would take time as well.

Sorry to be persistent, but I'd kinda like to know as soon as possible whether or not I'll need to plan out a whole new set of equipment for just this last mission or not.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:53:16 am by Radio Controlled »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10