Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldiers dying after sparring?  (Read 1292 times)

chilller6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soldiers dying after sparring?
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:40:43 pm »

So after getting a 30 dwarf migrant wave, I decided it was time to set up my military. A shit ton of mithril armor and weapons were laying in my stockpile so I melted those down and forged long swords and armor. Then, a few moments after my dwarves started sparring with their new fandangled mithril long swords, one of them decided to go rest in the hospital, yet he bled out before he got there.

This happened to 4 of my other dwarves too and I have no idea why because on the logs it says the weapons were only lightly tapping their targets. Does anyone know why this is happening and/or have a way to fix it? I cant have all my soldiers dying while training

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers dying after sparring?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 03:04:00 pm »

So wait, this has only happened to the fresh migrants so far? Is that your first fortress on that save, and if not, did you abandon/retire the last one after a siege? 'Cause dwarves will emigrate away from any fortress you've made with all of their wounds and mental issues exactly as they were when you left which can result in weird stuff like migrants showing up, walking two steps, and then realizing they didn't bring their head with them.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

chilller6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 03:18:52 pm »

So wait, this has only happened to the fresh migrants so far? Is that your first fortress on that save, and if not, did you abandon/retire the last one after a siege? 'Cause dwarves will emigrate away from any fortress you've made with all of their wounds and mental issues exactly as they were when you left which can result in weird stuff like migrants showing up, walking two steps, and then realizing they didn't bring their head with them.

No, its just that I decided to use those particular fresh migrants. And yes this is my 1st fortress on this save.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 09:28:33 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some weapons in 'sparring' can still cause issues such as bleed out, especially modded (non-vanilla) variations of weapons as some can inflict multi-area-contact or some jazz. Had this happen to me in the past (long ago) with modded weapons. I started avoiding those, and kept to vanilla weapons for sparring and have not had a single incident in my 60+ forts since.

if you have a save prior to the melt-down-and-forging-of-swords, try to make generic axes or swords of mithril and have them spar? Best way to rule out the issue.

TanaNari

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Price
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 07:20:30 pm »

Alternately, it may be some syndrome. There's a reason I play with diseases off. One migrant has it and gives it to the others get it via contact.
Price- a gritty, street level supers story by yours truly.

https://pricestory.wordpress.com