Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rooms spanning multiple z-levels  (Read 1296 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rooms spanning multiple z-levels
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:39:35 pm »

So, adding depth to a room makes it fancier, I think. a massive dining hall with several stories' worth of open space supported by pillars is a wonderful thing. I could also imagine a temple with a raised dais in the middle, or a stage.

Would this be a feasible thing? Maybe a command to allow the "flow" of a room to move upward and downward as well as outward?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Rooms spanning multiple z-levels
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 05:02:11 pm »

I don't think this will be feasible until rooms are painted like burrows.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 11:53:00 pm »

So, adding depth to a room makes it fancier, I think. a massive dining hall with several stories' worth of open space supported by pillars is a wonderful thing. I could also imagine a temple with a raised dais in the middle, or a stage.

Would this be a feasible thing? Maybe a command to allow the "flow" of a room to move upward and downward as well as outward?

I think it'd be better if there were a value multiplier on the floor tile for how much air is above it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:02:48 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 01:21:15 am »

It's planned. The tavern zone system makes it sort of possible, but it's not entirely the same.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:55:02 am »

It's planned. The tavern zone system makes it sort of possible, but it's not entirely the same.
As in you can create a zone and assign it to a pre-existing zone? I'll have to try that.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:24:32 pm »

As in you can create a zone and assign it to a pre-existing zone? I'll have to try that.
It's more like you can assign any zone/room as "belonging" to a location (tavern/temple/library). For taverns, this means that the rooms can be rented to visitors. It also means that the goblet/instrument/supplies count includes all those zones. I think any access restrictions (currently just "No visitors allowed", IIRC) apply to those areas.

I don't think they have any kind of shared value, and they can't be assigned to an individual dwarf. No multi-floor bedrooms yet, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:30:34 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 04:43:51 pm »

It's more like you can assign any zone/room as "belonging" to a location (tavern/temple/library). For taverns, this means that the rooms can be rented to visitors. It also means that the goblet/instrument/supplies count includes all those zones. I think any access restrictions (currently just "No visitors allowed", IIRC) apply to those areas.

I don't think they have any kind of shared value, and they can't be assigned to an individual dwarf. No multi-floor bedrooms yet, unfortunately.
Something to look forward to?